• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

.327 Federal Magnum

SL Dangerous

Zombies aren't real
Forum Supporter
Do any of y'all have a wheel gun in this caliber? If so what's your opinion of the round and your revolver(s)?

I've never fired one but have read a few pieces about and watched some videos on it. My knowledge of revolvers is not vast however I like what I've read and seen. Does anyone know of a range that rents a .327?

I understand that the make and models offered in .327 have decreased and ammo options are limited. It's not near the top of my list to Santa Claus but is something I'd definitely consider if the majority of opinions are favorable.

Thanks gents

Haven't had a chance to try one, but I was VERY close to picking up a Ruger LCR in .327 about a year ago or so. Ammunition is somewhat limited, and the thing that got me is that the majority of available factory ammo seems to be trending toward lighter bullets. I was excited about it as a carry piece when Speer was still making 115 grain Gold Dots, the numbers looked very nearly the same as 9mm. Now the only defensive hollow point cartridges I see available are 100 grains or lighter, and that doesn't excite me nearly as much. The versatility of being able to shoot other .32 caliber rounds is nice, but I was looking at it more for carry, and that doesn't really help me in that case.

varminter22

Obsessed Member
I'm a huge fan of the .32 H&R Mag. When the .327 debuted, I figured I would have to have one. But my interest waned. I determined the .32 Mag does everything I need it to do without the additional blast of the .327 Mag.

The .327 is an outstanding cartridge!!! I do not own one since I own three 32 H&R Mags that I handload to pretty close to the .327. Can't say enough about the caliber...back in Idaho I loaded full wad cutters to subsonic levels for grouse. My woods carry was 115gr hardcast loaded very hot. The advantage of the 327 over the 32 is you can just follow load manuals and not experiment.

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
I think the gun makers missed the boat with this caliber by only using it mainly in subcompact revolvers and not taking advantage of the smaller cartridge size to increase capacity. They should have made full frame revolvers in .327 Magnum that held more than .357 magnum. Sure, Ruger has a 7 shot .327 magnum full frame revolver, but S&W makes an 8 shot .357 magnum. With a smaller diameter bullet, it seems odd that no maker has sold a 9 or 10 shot model. I know Kirby Goodman has a custom 10 shot .32 H&R mag revolver.

I think the gun makers missed the boat with this caliber by only using it mainly in subcompact revolvers and not taking advantage of the smaller cartridge size to increase capacity. They should have made full frame revolvers in .327 Magnum that held more than .357 magnum. Sure, Ruger has a 7 shot .327 magnum full frame revolver, but S&W makes an 8 shot .357 magnum. With a smaller diameter bullet, it seems odd that no maker has sold a 9 or 10 shot model. I know Kirby Goodman has a custom 10 shot .32 H&R mag revolver.
Actually, if you are going to carry the weight of a full size, why not carry a more powerful cartridge? I think Lipseys and Ruger got it right with the Single Seven in .327...lots of power in a lightweight wheelie.

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
Actually, if you are going to carry the weight of a full size, why not carry a more powerful cartridge? I think Lipseys and Ruger got it right with the Single Seven in .327...lots of power in a lightweight wheelie.
I like revolvers but I don't like being limited to 7 shots.

I also want a cartridge that shoots flatter than a .38 but doesn't beat up the thumb as much as a .357 magnum out of a double action revolver. A single action revolver is a different beast though. You can put really hot loads in a single action revolver and because it rolls in the hand it won't hurt the thumb, whereas the same is not true at least for me with a double action revolver, even for a full frame steel gun.

Last edited:

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
For self defense, I like the lower noise and blast of the .45 ACP over the sharper, louder blast of magnum revolver cartridges. I learned that one the hard way shooting without ear plugs when I was younger. Magnum and high-velocity cartridges have a very noticeably, much more debilitating deafening blast when fired without hearing protection.

This may be low on your list of priorities, but it's worth being on the list.