• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

300 Blackout Pistol 2200 Yards Video

300 Blackout pistol 2200 yards

First I would like to Thank MAC702 for taking my question seriously regarding my parallax issue I was having at 2080 yards with my pistol scope. I may not have liked his answer but it was helpful. I also took it as a kick in the pants to adapt and over come. I am still working on it. But I am learning to center the cross hairs in the scope and the target which seems much more difficult to me than I think it should be. I have yet to shoot it but I now have a 2.5X8 Leopold on the gun. It appears to me as MAC702 suggested there is still parallax there but it appears to be much less and it also appears to be much easier to center the cross hairs. Buying the more expensive scope could make a difference for me going forward.
Now to answer a couple questions why 300BO? The math/science says it can get there so the only thing stopping me from getting there is trying. Also anybody that can shoot could get behind my 338 Lapua in just a few rounds start getting hits at this distance because it is not as hard as it might seem with a good platform. My 338 Lapua is a out of the box Savage nothing special.
Also the flight time at this distance is over 6 seconds I am planning to take my 338 as far as I can. I am using the 300BO to learn how time effects bullet path. I have never heard anybody talk about it or read anything regarding the effects of time on bullet travel. There is biological time and real time to deal with when shooting. Time does have an effect.
Also I really do wish one of the gun manufacturers that are producing the 460 S&W mag wheelguns would chamber it in 300BO then I would be looking at a wheelgun that just might be capable of being a 2000 yard wheelgun.
Last yes I know it was a lucky shot but if you dont pray you will never have a prayer answered. I would have gone after the right target but I am running out of these bullets and have not seen any for sale in a long time and even though I have them backordered on Optics planet I believe they are saying 12 to 15 months.
NDR

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I have never heard anybody talk about it or read anything regarding the effects of time on bullet travel. ]
Coriolis Effect on bullet travel (time over distance and the impact of the earth's rotation). Most shorter range shooters are not really impact by it, however, at longer ranges it has an impact.

https://thearmsguide.com/5329/external-ballistics-the-coriolis-effect-6-theory-section/

https://www.lapua.com/ballistics-app-tips-the-coriolis-effect/

And, of course, the longer the round is in the air, the more time wind has the opportunity to impact the bullet's flight (and more distance in which to pass through differing wind conditions between the shooter and target, of course).

When you gave your load data I was staring at the round thinking how damn long that round was. Love it.

Love the excitement level. Its infectious :)

Last edited:
I was amazed at how close the first round impacted 🤣🤣 amazing shooting there Mr Desert Rat 🏆 🎯 you get my vote 👊🏾

Coriolis Effect on bullet travel (time over distance and the impact of the earth's rotation). Most shorter range shooters are not really impact by it, however, at longer ranges it has an impact.

https://thearmsguide.com/5329/external-ballistics-the-coriolis-effect-6-theory-section/

https://www.lapua.com/ballistics-app-tips-the-coriolis-effect/

And, of course, the longer the round is in the air, the more time wind has the opportunity to impact the bullet's flight (and more distance in which to pass through differing wind conditions between the shooter and target, of course).

When you gave your load data I was staring at the round thinking how damn long that round was. Love it.

Love the excitement level. Its infectious :)
There is no wind and I am shooting east. The time I am referring to it is not the distance that is the issue but the time of flight related to what happened while the bullet is in the barrel. I am finding out just because I am at 1/2 MOA accuracy at 1000 yards does not equal 1/2 MOA at 2000 yards. It has to do I belive with the forces that are applied to the bullet while it is in the barrel. Basically barrel vibration/harmonics/whip and human error. Take my 30-06 it takes 1.4 seconds to travel 1000 yards. To get to 2000 yards the next 1000 yards takes 2.3 seconds of flight time. So between human error and barrel vibration say the bullet moved 2 inches to the right at 1000 yards that took 1.4 seconds to do it. It should keep moving right at a speed of 2 inches per 1.4 seconds of flight time so around 1660 yards that is about 2.8 seconds of flight time it is now 4 inches to the right because it took it 1.6 times longer to cover the second 1000 yards the bullet should now be 5.2 inches to the right as it arrives on target 2000 yards away. I am coming to conclusion as I go farther it is more important to think in term of time of flight instead of distance. So all that gets me too just what kind of accuraccy or percentage of hits should I expect as I move out farther on my 12 inch wide by 18 inch tall target? I am hoping thinking in terms of time it will help me as I take my 338 past 3000 yards. Maybe I am over thinking it but it is the only way I can get my head around what is happening the farther I go.
NDR

500 of those sierra 200gr for 200 bucks. I know components are hard to come by figured I'd let ya know in the event you wanted them. Good shooting!

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipme...08-9mm-300-45-70-8mm-32-338-MORE/177-2181477/
Thank You gixxer760. I owe you one. I dont know if you know but there are 2 different Sierra 200gr match bullets one is SAAMI spec the other is what they refer too as the extended Ogive with closed up hollow point. It is there version of a low drag bullet to compete with the likes of Berger and others. Now when I clicked on the link there is a 50 50 chance they are not the extended Ogive I want. I have learned when there is a 50 50 chance of something I want 75 percent of the time it will be the other. When I first looked at the picture even though I did not believe it was clearly the extended Ogive and after staring for a minute or so they were still the extended Ogive. Then I had to sign up for the forums there and they refused to accept my email they forced me to sell my soul to google. Which in times of desperation the devil has no problems collecting souls. The guys price was not an attempt at ripping off his fellow shooters in a time of need.
Thanks to You Xmas is coming early for this Desert Rat
NDR

gixxer760

Clown World Champion
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Thank You gixxer760. I owe you one. I dont know if you know but there are 2 different Sierra 200gr match bullets one is SAAMI spec the other is what they refer too as the extended Ogive with closed up hollow point. It is there version of a low drag bullet to compete with the likes of Berger and others. Now when I clicked on the link there is a 50 50 chance they are not the extended Ogive I want. I have learned when there is a 50 50 chance of something I want 75 percent of the time it will be the other. When I first looked at the picture even though I did not believe it was clearly the extended Ogive and after staring for a minute or so they were still the extended Ogive. Then I had to sign up for the forums there and they refused to accept my email they forced me to sell my soul to google. Which in times of desperation the devil has no problems collecting souls. The guys price was not an attempt at ripping off his fellow shooters in a time of need.
Thanks to You Xmas is coming early for this Desert Rat
NDR

Just glad I could help a fellow shooter!

Looks like the bullet hit nose first, not tumbling.
Only 3 of the 30 cal bullets I have tried can come back through the sound barrier clean and these Sierra 200gr extended Ogive bullets are by far the most aerodynamic. In my experience when ever they start tumbling they seem to dive into the ground as if they hit a wall.
NDR

I think that once you think about it you'll see what I'm talking about.

So.
Moving on to your application, the BFR cylinder is 3" long.
The standard OAL for the 30-30 cartridge is 2.550"

With 1:10 twist it might be able to stabilize 178gr ELD bullets if the OAL fit
Furthermore, it's a very straightforward job at the shop to refit a BFR with a barrel of any twist rate that you desire.
We do a lot of work on custom BFR revolvers at the shop. It's a specialty, and fellows from all over the US send us their BFRs for custom work.

I don't have the exact bullet that you are using to measure for comparison, but I might have some long 30 caliber bullets here to have a look.
I do have 30-30 brass -- and by the way I also have a 30-30 single shot pistol here with a 1-10" twist, and it will handle pressures far beyond the Contender's limits.

Maybe we should have a chat sometime.

Really?
What does double action have to do with it?

the BFR, being a single action revolver, has a far better chance of being consistent and accurate.
I shoot more accurately when I shoot double action. And no joke here but my goal is1 mile free hand shooting double action will give me the best chance.
NDR

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
...First I would like to Thank MAC702 for taking my question seriously regarding my parallax issue I was having at 2080 yards with my pistol scope. I may not have liked his answer but it was helpful. I also took it as a kick in the pants to adapt and over come. I am still working on it. But I am learning to center the cross hairs in the scope and the target which seems much more difficult to me than I think it should be. I have yet to shoot it but I now have a 2.5X8 Leopold on the gun. It appears to me as MAC702 suggested there is still parallax there but it appears to be much less and it also appears to be much easier to center the cross hairs. Buying the more expensive scope could make a difference for me going forward...
Another possible trick I recently learned from Lemmonhead (I don't even like it yet, but I'm going to experiment with it) is to put an opaque (translucent might be sufficient) disk in the eyepiece with a 1/4" (or so, you can experiment) hole in the middle. This can be held in place simply by using a scope cap.

When you are shooting from a stable position at a fixed target, you do not need the field of view that the scope offers. You just need to see the target and crosshairs in the middle. And trying to center all that in a 1/4" field of view, instead of a 1-1/2" field of view is a LOT more consistent if you have the time to deal with its obvious disadvantages, like the extra time it takes to find the target and verify that it is the correct target. The very minor parallax error of a riflescope in normal usage isn't worth considering, but in very limited circumstances like this, eliminating as much of the remaining parallax as possible can make a measurable difference.

Another possible trick I recently learned from Lemmonhead (I don't even like it yet, but I'm going to experiment with it) is to put an opaque (translucent might be sufficient) disk in the eyepiece with a 1/4" (or so, you can experiment) hole in the middle. This can be held in place simply by using a scope cap.

When you are shooting from a stable position at a fixed target, you do not need the field of view that the scope offers. You just need to see the target and crosshairs in the middle. And trying to center all that in a 1/4" field of view, instead of a 1-1/2" field of view is a LOT more consistent if you have the time to deal with its obvious disadvantages, like the extra time it takes to find the target and verify that it is the correct target. The very minor parallax error of a riflescope in normal usage isn't worth considering, but in very limited circumstances like this, eliminating as much of the remaining parallax as possible can make a measurable difference.
You are the second one suggesting an Idea such as this. The first guy suggested I but a tube on the back and extend out a Hole. I like your suggestion better Instead of using opaque I am thinking a yellow lens cap. The reason why yellow. I shoot mostly by myself and without a spotter I need to get back on target before impact so I need all the field of view I can to get. With a yellow lens I retain the field of view. That is if the brightness of the yellow does not over whelm the clear hole and the eye. With a rifle I can tell when I am screwing up because the cross hairs do not settle on the target or right around the target. The pistol because of the up-slope on the for-end for adjusting for elevation when shooting when the shot goes off it settles on the bag and is low of the target and I have to slide the gun forward find the target then see the impact. At 1000 yards it is easy to get back on target but at 2200 yards where I have the target everything looks the same and the target does not stand out very well as time goes on I will get used to it. I am leaving this morning to travel to the area I shoot long range I will be there for 2 weeks. The only day I will have a spotter is next Wednesday when my father and nephew come out. I dont have anything here to give a try this trip. My plan is to back off to a mile I have plenty of 178gr ELD bullets and they work really well out to a mile. My plan is mostly dry firing in between a few shoots to see if I am making progress. I will see if buying the leupold helps and if I can learn to deal with it. If I dont get any where I will be taking a serious look at your idea. I like your idea better than the first Idea. My friend also suggested I put a rifle scope on it. I did see Jerry Miculek and his late brother inlaw put one on his 9mm and shoot at 1000 yards on there show. I cant convince myself to go there. Anyway thanks for sharing lemmonheads idea.
NDR