• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

2021 hunting season

HomeSkillet

Outdoors for the win
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Can I buy points for multiple species ?
You sure can. Few things you need to be aware of (amongst others). You can only buy one bonus point per species/hunt. If you apply for a hunt, as an example, Antlered Mule Deer, you forfeit the ability to purchase a bonus point for that particular hunt. You can, however, apply for the Antlered Mule Deer and simultaneously purchase a bonus point for Antlerless Mule Deer (Doe) and anything else.

Should you apply for a hunt (Deer, Elk, Turkey, Bear, etc), AND fail to draw that respective tag, you will be awarded a bonus point for that failed draw. That bonus point and any points you've accumulated can then be applied on your next application for that tag, which may increase your chances of drawing. To oversimplify the process, it really just gives you additional chances for the system to put your name back into the hat.

It's a little cheaper to purchase bonus points versus applying for the tag so some use this as a means to accumulate points before applying for an actual draw. Sheep is an example. I have a couple of friends who have been applying for close to 15 years and have yet to draw. Another example - if you really want to apply for an Elk unit but the draw rate is horrendous, then it may be beneficial to purchase a few bonus points to increase your odds before applying in a few years.

The strategy is up to you. There are people who apply for Elk and draw a tag on their first year. It happens. If money is somewhat of an object and you can wait, then perhaps purchase bonus points for a hunt or two. Otherwise, if you want to continue playing the lottery, then apply for every hunt that interests you.

One other note - this information is based on memory and it's been known to fail at times. LOL! Be sure to verify my data on NDOW's site

iSaveLives

RN = Registered Nut
You sure can. Few things you need to be aware of (amongst others). You can only buy one bonus point per species/hunt. If you apply for a hunt, as an example, Antlered Mule Deer, you forfeit the ability to purchase a bonus point for that particular hunt. You can, however, apply for the Antlered Mule Deer and simultaneously purchase a bonus point for Antlerless Mule Deer (Doe) and anything else.

Should you apply for a hunt (Deer, Elk, Turkey, Bear, etc), AND fail to draw that respective tag, you will be awarded a bonus point for that failed draw. That bonus point and any points you've accumulated can then be applied on your next application for that tag, which may increase your chances of drawing. To oversimplify the process, it really just gives you additional chances for the system to put your name back into the hat.

It's a little cheaper to purchase bonus points versus applying for the tag so some use this as a means to accumulate points before applying for an actual draw. Sheep is an example. I have a couple of friends who have been applying for close to 15 years and have yet to draw. Another example - if you really want to apply for an Elk unit but the draw rate is horrendous, then it may be beneficial to purchase a few bonus points to increase your odds before applying in a few years.

The strategy is up to you. There are people who apply for Elk and draw a tag on their first year. It happens. If money is somewhat of an object and you can wait, then perhaps purchase bonus points for a hunt or two. Otherwise, if you want to continue playing the lottery, then apply for every hunt that interests you.

One other note - this information is based on memory and it's been known to fail at times. LOL! Be sure to verify my data on NDOW's site
And don't forget that you're allowed 5 choices. I've gone with the recommendation that your first choice should be a dream hunt/species, which generally is a lower draw odds hunt. The next 4 choices will be in order of importance to you as the hunter and draw odds. My last 2 choices are usually high draw odd hunts. I do that to ensure my chances of drawing a tag so that I can go that year regardless of season and weapon. I figure the more experience and exposure I get out there, the better...regardless of bringing home meat or not. There's always something to learn.

This year my choices are (areas are generally in the southern half of NV):
1. Antlered elk / Muzzleloader
2. Antelope, horns longer than ears / Muzzleloader
3. Antlered mule deer / Muzzleloader
4. Antlerless elk / Muzzleloader
5. Antlerless deer / Any legal weapn

What's everyone else planning?

Last edited:

iSaveLives

RN = Registered Nut
getting close as you did is pretty good, Bud. I have hunted that area for 9-10 days without seeing a buck.
Thanks to you Fogie...you were a big help. I got within 375 yards of that bachelor group until they got too high and far for me. I wasn't comfortable making that shot with a muzzle loader and open sights. I was definitely wishing it was rifle season.

HomeSkillet

Outdoors for the win
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
And don't forget that you're allowed 5 choices. I've gone with the recommendation that your first choice should be a dream hunt/species, which generally is a lower draw odds hunt. The next 4 choices will be in order of importance to you as the hunter and draw odds. My last 2 choices are usually high draw odd hunts. I do that to ensure my chances of drawing a tag so that I can go that year regardless of season and weapon. I figure the more experience and exposure I get out there, the better...regardless of bringing home meat or not. There's always something to learn.

Good stuff. Thanks for the addition!

As for my hunt choices, it's pretty much archery for all species with the exception of Antelope where I go for muzzleloader and rifle. I mentioned Areas 14 and 17 because I stubbornly seem to always have them in my list. They're tough units for sure but eventually I'll harvest a toad in one of those units. *fingers crossed* lol

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
The new proclamations book should be hitting counter tops soon. NDOW used to mail them out to people with a hunting license. Every year when I get mine I set it next to the toilet. I read it every day. Then I reread it, over and over and over. Because they change things ever year. One time here in the forum someone was arguing with me that 357, I believe it’s what he was saying, was the smallest legal caliber to hunt with. Well they changed it that year to .22 caliber.
Of your willing to pay for a service Go Hunt is a good one. https://www.gohunt.com/
Don’t be afraid of the game warden if you come across one. I always ask them questions that have been on my mind. One year I had a muzzleloader bull elk tag, and I couldn’t find what was considered a loaded muzzleloader in a vehicle. Warden told me as long as it doesn’t have a primer or cap on it your God to go.

rpd83lv

Curmudgeon In-Training
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
When does all the info for the 2021 season come out. New to this and the brow sight isn’t showing anything. Looking for deer info more than anything. I’m the only one I know who hunts so I’m solo on all of it. It’s ok to give me a hard time for the dumb question lol
This’ll be my first season out and I’m so glad our vets here share freely what they’ve learned.

rpd83lv

Curmudgeon In-Training
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter

This year my choices are (areas are generally in the southern half of NV):
1. Antlered elk / Muzzleloader
2. Antelope, horns longer than ears / Muzzleloader
3. Antlered mule deer / Muzzleloader
4. Antlerless elk / Muzzleloader
5. Antlerless deer / Any legal weapn

This numbered list brings up a good point. I don't care about the mount, I'm going for the camaraderie and hoping for meat. Feel free to punt me to the NDOW stats, but I'm guessing that antlerless draw odds are better than antlered odds?

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
This numbered list brings up a good point. I don't care about the mount, I'm going for the camaraderie and hoping for meat. Feel free to punt me to the NDOW stats, but I'm guessing that antlerless draw odds are better than antlered odds?
Not all areas have a antlerless draw. None of the southern areas do, some of the northern areas do though. So you still have a lot of people applying for a handful of tags.

rpd83lv

Curmudgeon In-Training
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Not all areas have a antlerless draw. None of the southern areas do, some of the northern areas do though. So you still have a lot of people applying for a handful of tags.
I went into CR 21-03 and I see what you're talking about. The number of antlered units is way bigger than antlerless. (in mule deer any legal weapon)

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I've become familiar enough with a particular area, that it's all I put in for. I'll skip a year and get bonus points before learning a whole new area. And I have enough friends putting in that SOMEONE gets a tag or two so we have a hunting party no matter who has the tag. Heavy emphasis on "party."

Has anyone gotten the proclamation yet ? Date we can start putting in ? Was on NDOW site, I saw it’s open for non residents. Is it normal for non residents to go first ? Or did I miss it ?