• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

10/22 Reliability with Bulk Ammo?

So my 10/22 is pretty ammo finicky. I'll get a stovepipe every 20 rounds or so shooting Blazer Bulk 38gr in the 525rd pack, and maybe 1 in 50 using the individually boxed 40gr Blazer bricks. When running Federal Black 38gr I am rarely able get through a full 10rd magazine without a stovepipe or failure of some kind. I use DoubleKross mag bodies but this happens even with standard rotary Ruger mags.

I've replaced the extractor, acetone cleaned/polished the inside of the receiver, radiused the back edge of the bolt, polished the guide rod, and polished the bearing surfaces of the bolt as well. All that helped but there is still what I see as an unacceptable failure rate with bulk packed ammo.

Do you think that rate of failure merits sending the gun back to Ruger for evaluation? I've not tried other bulk packs as Blazer and Federal to me have been the best of the bunch in regards to ammo consistency, so I hate to think about what would happen with cheaper bulk ammo.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
That's a very good question. I'd be wanting to try at least one other brand of something first. 96% of my rimfire shooting these days is either CCI Standard or CCI MiniMag. But I remember having good luck with the old milk cartons of Federal bulk 550.

doz

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I've found multiple Ruger 10/22 to be finicky about ammo. Winchester cheap stuff seems to jam up every magazine at least once. Never had a problem with mini-mags but of course you don't want to have to pay extra to plink either. Federal bulk seems hit or miss. Sometimes I can shoot a few hundred rounds with no failures and other times I'll get a bunch.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
...Winchester cheap stuff seems to jam up every magazine at least once. Never had a problem with mini-mags but of course you don't want to have to pay extra to plink either. ....
Winchester 222 and 555 stuff is crap. I still have a few cases of it that are reserved for a few guns that eat anything (incl a couple 10/22's) but they jam up most of my pistols. Remington Golden Bullet claimed to be greatly improved, but it went from being absolute trash to just plain crap. Even the new stuff has rims so inconsistent it will jam a Ruger Single-Six revolver.

There is a reason I bit the bullet and bought cases of MiniMag for serious plinking, training, teaching, and Steel Challenge.

doz

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Winchester 222 and 555 stuff is crap. I still have a few cases of it that are reserved for a few guns that eat anything (incl a couple 10/22's) but they jam up most of my pistols. Remington Golden Bullet claimed to be greatly improved, but it went from being absolute trash to just plain crap. Even the new stuff has rims so inconsistent it will jam a Ruger Single-Six revolver.

There is a reason I bit the bullet and bought cases of MiniMag for serious plinking, training, teaching, and Steel Challenge.
Yeah, I have about 2k rounds of mini-mags.

The golden bullets aren't as bad as they used to be, maybe a bit better than Winchester bulk, but still not that great. Federal usually runs better than both (bulk packs). Winchester SuperX are pretty good but usually more pricey than mini-mags so no point in getting them.

I think it is all very dependent upon the gun though. My Browning Buck Mark's will eat anything as long as they are clean. Once dirty, they prefer mini-mags. About 2000 rounds before it will just stop running an entire magazine but can only get through a few hundred junk bulk pack rounds.

I have a Marlin 795 and it does way better than any of the 10/22 I have (I have 3). The Marlin will run junk ammo for quite awhile. I actually like the 795 more than the 10/22.

JimBianchi

Daddy
Forum Supporter
I've owned about 20 10/22 over the past 30 years.

I tune them all. Self trigger job, clean, polish and buff the inside of the receiver to a high shine,clean, polish and buff the firing pin channel, power extractor and spring, recoil spring replaced on about half of them, radius the the bolt, make sure the chamber and barrel are square (you'll have to watch a youtube vid) Re-crown the barrel. You can buy a pack of springs from KIDD and use them in several 10-22s.

On a few, new barrel. One the best, full polish, new trigger, extractor, new bedded stock and custom barrel.

I also fixed my "ammo sensitive" guns by going CCI standards. Rare to have a bad round, very consistent head size and lube.

steve

Obsessed Member
I'll be at the range in the morning for my 22 match and I should be at the meeting Thursday. I'll put some in the truck tonight in case your around.

LVTrenton

Living the dream
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I have found CCI Standard Velocity to be my 'go-to' for my 10/22 and my Sig Trailside. Most of the bulk stuff is not consistent enough for any serious use.

I put another 200rds of Blazer 38gr through it and had only two malfunctions, so hopefully that trend will continue. This time I also sprayed the rounds with a spritz of homemade Dillon case lube, which seemed to help.

After shooting I cleaned the gun and removed the barrel for the first time; it looks like the barrel was a few degrees out of rotation with respect to the V-block, so maybe having the extractor off-center with the extractor cut contributed to my stovepipe/FTE issues. I'll shoot it again on Wednesday and then decide whether it needs to be sent in.

usmcnye

Aim Small Miss Small
I put another 200rds of Blazer 38gr through it and had only two malfunctions, so hopefully that trend will continue. This time I also sprayed the rounds with a spritz of homemade Dillon case lube, which seemed to help.

After shooting I cleaned the gun and removed the barrel for the first time; it looks like the barrel was a few degrees out of rotation with respect to the V-block, so maybe having the extractor off-center with the extractor cut contributed to my stovepipe/FTE issues. I'll shoot it again on Wednesday and then decide whether it needs to be sent in.
You probably are aware, when changing the barrel on a 10/22, extreme care must be taken to not over-tighten the barrel retainer nuts. Several years ago, I bought a stock Ruger 10/22 with the heavy target barrel. I hoped it would be super accurate (not even close, very disappointed). Long story short, the only part I have left from the original rifle is the receiver. One of the many items I replaced, was the barrel. I installed a KIDD barrel, shot groupings were too large. I loosened the barrel retaining nuts and torqued them to the specs (10 inch pounds, NOT FOOT POUNDS). After that, shot group size was outstanding (tack driver). Ammunition type does matter too (my 10/22 needs match grade ammunition to achieve tight groups). If you are willing and have the funds, your 10/22 can become a tack driver.

I'm shooting Steel Challenge so benchrest accuracy isn't a concern so long as I hit the plate I'm aiming at. Reliability in cycling during rapid fire is what's most important.

Shot about 200rds through it today and I only had one FTE/stovepipe malfunction using 38gr Blazer, so I'm happy about that. I did have a few magazine failure to rotate issues but that probably just means they're due for a cleaning. I did have 3 FTEs when testing 50rds of Federal Black Pack, which isn't great, but that ammo is intended for use with my Mark III 22/45 anyway so it's no big deal. I probably won't be sending in the 10/22 unless the failure rate goes back up to 2-3% with Blazer.

usmcnye

Aim Small Miss Small
Typically, 10/22 reliability issues (unless you have broken/worn bolt or spring) are due to magazine or ammunition type. I do not benchrest shoot either.