Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Gunsmithing & Gun Care

Notices

Gunsmithing & Gun Care The place to talk gunsmithing, gun care and maintenance. Share your tricks, tips, and info. Feel free to share or ask for help.

User Tag List

Old 01-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
geo
Administrator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default DIY parkerizing solution

Some might know that I have been wanting a compressor and bead blasting setup for quite some time now. Well over Christmas the wife gave me the whole setup.. so I have been playing with the bead blaster lots.

I have some parkerizing solution on order, its the dark manganese phosphate stuff, gives a nice dark finish to your weapon.. but I figured there HAD to be a way to make this stuff at home.

So off I went looking online and I found it!

Now before I start giving you the info.. let me just say EYES GLOVES AND MASKS.. we are playing with some caustic chemicals here. Nothing to be afraid of but still..

This recipe is so simple that I was sure it was not going to work.. but it did.

First you get one gallon of distilled water

Break open a D Cell battery, cut the end off and took out all the black powder(manganese dioxide). Tap the end of the battery with a hammer, and the end cap will come off with some help from needle nose pliers. Make sure you ONLY get the black stuff and not the silver stuff in the inner core. You don't want that. Break up this stuff in a bag with a hammer to make it more of a powder.

Next up get yourself a 0000 steel wool pad, cut it in half and wash it good with water or spray it down with some brake cleaner, you want all the oils out of it.

Next hit up your local home depot and get yourself some klean strip phosphoric prep and etch (This is nasty stuff, some of you might know.. its 80%+ phosphoric acid handle with gloves on only)

In a stainless steel bowl, boil your distilled water, Black powder from your battery and your steel wool pad. Get the temp up to around 180-190 and eventually that steel wool pad will start to dissolve. Once done, add the klean strip phosphoric prep and etch (About 1/3rd a cup full) to the mix and bring it back up to temperature.

Once up to temp, drop in your part. I chose a glock barrel as I wanted to get this one in the black again (someone polished it when I got it)

Let the part sit in there for about 20 or so mins. I used those cheap range earplugs to plug the barrel so nothing got inside but it wont harm it if a tiny bit gets in.. I plan on getting better barrel plugs in the future however.

Take the part out, wash with hot water, and spray on some CLP and let it soak. It should be ready to use in about 12 hours.

Here is a crummy pic.. but its the best i could do with this cam. Before I did this this barrel had NO finish on it, totally in the white. Now its got a nice dark manganese phosphate dark parkerized finish on it. It looks shiny because its soaked in oil right now.

In person the thing looks brand new!

Anyone got any guns they want re-done.. heh I can see this is going to be an addiction lol

geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Nice work Geo!

Yup, you're hooked. Guys, I predict we will see the day when Geo has his own gun smithing business.
And I plan to hang out at the front counter, take up space, drink his free coffee and leave donut crumbs on the counter.

If you find some hard rubber bar stock (Check H&M, the plumbing supply store), you can make barrel plugs on my lathe. Hardwood dowel works well also.

I would definitely want some sort of face shield on over the Chemical (splash resistant) safety goggles, and I think I would want not only a good respirator mask, but to do this outside on a camp stove with a fan blowing the fumes away from me.
Inhaling the fumes of boiling parkerizing solution is not good for the lungs or the longevity.

Looks like you got a nice Park on that barrel, very nice, especially for your first try with home made solution. Keep up the good work.
By the way, aren't you about due for some more lathe and mill lessons?

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Oh, and you should probably mention, Geo, that it needs to be an Alkaline battery, not the standard carbon-zinc type. The Alkaline battery is the one made of manganese dioxide and zinc.

And you can use a glass (Pyrex!) dish if you can't find a stainless steel one big enough, or lack availability of one at all.
Best way to get the oil off the steel wool is with the flame of a propane torch. Using Brake Clean, etc. will leave a residue on it that may hinder the parkerizing solution. It definitely will add to the chemical fumes!

Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!

Last edited by NYECOGunsmith; 01-04-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #4
Tophog
Biker Trailer Trash

Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Nye, what about contact/electroclean spray? Should leave no residue, I would think.
-
And does the steel bowl method also Parkerize the bowl?

USN gunner, '76-'80.

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government IS the problem! Ronald Reagan
-
ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)
-

"The proud American will go down into his slavery without a fight, beating his chest, and proclaiming to the world, how free he really is. The world will only snicker."
Stanislav Mishin, Pravda

-

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."

---H.L. Mencken, the Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Last edited by Tophog; 01-04-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Tophog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 AM   #5
geo
Administrator

No park in the bowl.. thats why you use a stainless bowl. Using a normal steel bowl would certainly screw up the solution as well.

As for the steel wool, what I did was wash it VERY well in some dawn dish soap and water.. but I was thinking break cleaner would work.. guess I will stick to my method lol with dish soap. I have heard you can use acetone as well.

And yes, I forgot the alkaline part.. has to be an alkaline battery.

I Just went into my "doom room" to admire it.. lol I did all this in my home made workshop in my garage, lots of clean air blowing in there and I had the mask on as well.

Oh and NyCo, would using tongs with rubber on the ends screw up the solution? I see some tiny scratches where my stainless steel tongs hit it as I was watching it get darker and darker.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:36 AM   #6
Tophog
Biker Trailer Trash

Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Geo, could the scratches also be from where the part was touching the bowl?

USN gunner, '76-'80.

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government IS the problem! Ronald Reagan
-
ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)
-

"The proud American will go down into his slavery without a fight, beating his chest, and proclaiming to the world, how free he really is. The world will only snicker."
Stanislav Mishin, Pravda

-

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."

---H.L. Mencken, the Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
Tophog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:38 AM   #7
geo
Administrator

naaa I saw where I hit it.. right across the barrel.. its MUCH darker now and harder to notice.. but it was from the stupid tongs.. lol
Old 01-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
geo
Administrator

The Gun Nutt, thanks for the info AND the link.. I can see that link is going to come in handy. I have a bunch of Sten mags that I plan to use this on, so I will be using a stainless wire on those.

This was a rush job on the barrel and it still came out darn good (I just woke up and checked it again lol), but I plan to do things a bit slower on the mags, as well as do things the right way with wire.

Anyone recommend a good degreaser for these mags? 99% of the cosmo has been removed but it always seems a tiny bit more sneaks out from somewhere.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
geo
Administrator

Some updated pics with my cell.. a much better camera. After about 12 hours its nice and black and pretty darn near perfect for such a rush job with home made stuff. Sorry for the huge pics but wanted everyone to see the detail.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophog View Post
Nye, what about contact/electroclean spray? Should leave no residue, I would think.
-
And does the steel bowl method also Parkerize the bowl?
Electro clean (Contact cleaner, use the type that says it can be used on LIVE electrical circuits) doesn't leave behind anything that will harm the pickle solution.
The other types may, you'd have to read the MSDS to see what residue is left behind, and to see what's in the cleaner to begin with.

As Geo mentioned, no, the stainless steel won't parkerize.
As Geo asked, yes, the stainless steel tongs probably did leave behind the scratches. I used to use tongs made for the purpose, you can get them from Brownell's or from a Chemistry tools supply house, they are stainless steel but the ends are coated in neoprene or hard rubber, your choice. Best to not disturb the part at all while it is pickling.
Suspend it in the solution as GunNutt suggests with stainless steel wire so that the solution can act on all parts without and pressure on it anywhere if possible.
The solution is building up layers on the steel, if there is a contact point, the solution won't build up as evenly there.

Last edited by NYECOGunsmith; 01-04-2010 at 05:24 PM.