Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armed Citizen > Open Carry & Concealed Carry

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11-22-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
timf343
uber n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Clark County Pistol Registration (blue card)

Hi folks-

I wanted to let you know I started a new petition that I intend to send to the Clark County Commissioners. The petition urges the immediate repeal of pistol registration in Clark County, NV. If you agree pistol registration should be repealed, and support the petition, I would appreciate you signing at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/1204110r/petition.html

If you are a member of any other forums, please post a link there as well. I've already posted this on OpenCarry.org

Tim
timf343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
nkmnkm
The Armor Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timf343 View Post
Hi folks-

I wanted to let you know I started a new petition that I intend to send to the Clark County Commissioners. The petition urges the immediate repeal of pistol registration in Clark County, NV. If you agree pistol registration should be repealed, and support the petition, I would appreciate you signing at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/1204110r/petition.html

If you are a member of any other forums, please post a link there as well. I've already posted this on OpenCarry.org

Tim
Great idea. High time to do something about this outrage. I think it is somewhat hopeless in view of the large number of Democrats that settled here in recent years, but we have to try.
Good luck
nkmnkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
Guido
New Frontier Armory

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

I was #10.... come on guys, lets put out a better showing!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
JimBianchi
Daddy

Isn't the Blue Card law a state law? It requires any county with more than 400,000 people to have a the Blue Cards. (Only Clark County has more than 400,000)

If so, why are we sending a petition to the CCC?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address

Beware the Prophet seeking Profit, Dennis Miller, Conservative Radio Host
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
Mongo
uber n00b

Its part of the Clark County Code….12.04.110 “Registration of pistols within seventy-two hours……”

Looks like it was ‘grandfathered’ in back in 1989 when the state passed the "Statewide Pre-emption" law which doesn't allow localities to pass gun laws that are more stringent than the state law (NRS 244.364). At that time they wrote an ‘exemption’ for counties with populations over 400k (Clark) with existing laws on the books…I read somewhere it’s not required if you reside in Boulder City…..

I just signed....

If you really want to push this issue....maybe looking for signatures outside one of the local 'fun shows' (don't know the 'legalities' of this since they're usually held on county property, but there's always someone with a petition outside the DMV when I go)........You might even be able to get one of the show sponsors to 'give' you a booth (especially if they have as much open space as the last one).......

Last edited by Mongo; 11-23-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:35 AM   #6
shotdown
F*** it,We'll do it live!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I'm lucky 13.
shotdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
jpa
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBianchi View Post
Isn't the Blue Card law a state law? It requires any county with more than 400,000 people to have a the Blue Cards. (Only Clark County has more than 400,000)

If so, why are we sending a petition to the CCC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Its part of the Clark County Code….12.04.110 “Registration of pistols within seventy-two hours……”

Looks like it was ‘grandfathered’ in back in 1989 when the state passed the "Statewide Pre-emption" law which doesn't allow localities to pass gun laws that are more stringent than the state law (NRS 244.364). At that time they wrote an ‘exemption’ for counties with populations over 400k (Clark) with existing laws on the books…I read somewhere it’s not required if you reside in Boulder City…..

I just signed....

If you really want to push this issue....maybe looking for signatures outside one of the local 'fun shows' (don't know the 'legalities' of this since they're usually held on county property, but there's always someone with a petition outside the DMV when I go)........You might even be able to get one of the show sponsors to 'give' you a booth (especially if they have as much open space as the last one).......
Mongo's right. While the state law preempts any and all local, county and township ordinances regarding firearms (except regulating the discharge of firearms), that state law specifically ALLOWED such a registration requirement to remain in effect. It is a county ordinance, the code number is actually printed on your blue card with the verbage Mongo posted. So therefore the county commission could very well repeal this ordinance at any time.
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:41 AM   #8
daveinvegas
RIP Dave

This was tried in the state legislature in 2007. I was told by a Metro sgt that he was certain the Clark County handgun registration requirement would be eliminated. It wasn't.

The Sheriff and Chief's assoc and more importantly LVMPD (the Sheriff) doesn't want it to go away. They say that it is a valuable "investigative tool" but no one can cite a case that handgun registration was useful.

It's a matter of power and control.

Consider the original intent of the requirement. Way back when there were some interesting guys who came here from NY and Chicago who decided they could make a few bucks in Nevada and gaming. For some reason the local cops didn't like these out-of-town fellas. It turns out that the out-of-towners had a habit of carrying concealed firearms. It was decided that these guys should have to register their heaters when they came to town. If they didn't they could be hauled off to the gray bar hotel for having a concealed roscoe. It was mainly a pretense to arrest them even if they had not broken any other law.

As a side note, the good fellas from back east were eventually run out of town. In my opinion Vegas suffered as a result. The boys kind of kept a lid on unauthorized illegal activities in Vegas. You couldn't do nothing except what the boys said you could do. Of course, they got their share of the action, but it was controlled and the average person wasn't supposed to be harmed.

It's my understanding that they did a better job controlling crime then the cops did or do.

So, the Sheriff doesn't want to lose some power and control, not that it does any good.

Back in 2006 I e-mailed several state legislators about the blue card problem. They agreed that it was an antiquated, obsolete law and should be eliminated, however, the Sheriff and Chief's Assoc., put up a fight and prevailed.

It was also the S&C Assoc that is responsible for us (CCW holders) having to pay for background checks on gun purchases.

GONV.ORG is a good resource and ally in the fight against anti-gun laws.

The state legislators are ultimately responsible for not passing a castle law this year and not including a "1911 authorized" notation on our CCWs (like the "revolver authorized" notation).

We must hold their feet to the fire in 2010 - 2012.
daveinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:27 AM   #9
eethomas
uber n00b

I just signed. I am number 23
eethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:01 AM   #10
USAFshooter
Obsessed Member