Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Long Guns

Notices

Long Guns Rifles of all shapes and sizes...evil black rifles (EBR's), carbines, hunting rifles, shotguns, black powder, military surplus...talk about it here.

User Tag List

Old 11-10-2009, 02:34 AM   #1
JFComfort
Long Range Shooter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
applause 7.62x54R PSL Guerrilla Sniper Rifle by Rifle Dynamics

7.62x54R PSL Guerrilla Sniper Rifle by Rifle Dynamics

I had the pleasure of getting to shoot Rifle Dynamic's Guerrilla Sniper Rifle. The weapon is a 7.62x54R PSL worked over by Jim and his team to exploit the advantages of this light weight, semi-auto rifle. This rifle fulfills the demands of Gabe Suarez's "The Guerrilla Sniper".
My first impression of the weapon, as always with Jim's products, is the high level of quality. The fit and finish are excellent, the rifle feels like a solid piece of equipment in your hands. I'm not very familiar with Soviet based weapons and the ones I've handled always felt cheap. The products coming from Rifle Dynamics has totally changed my perception of the quality and accuracy potential of the AK based weapon systems. When Jim handed me the rifle, it immediately struck me how balanced and light it was. I could tell that off hand shots, improvised shooting positions, and maneuvering with the rifle would be easier to do just from the weight savings and balance alone!
I was given a mix of ammunition to try which consisted of; Bulgarian AP, Bulgarian FMJ, 7N1, Czech silver tip and Lellier & Bellot FMJ. Honestly, the rifle shot well with all the ammo types but the stand out was the 7N1. I have to also note that the Bulgarian FMJ surprised me and held a tight 10 round group on a IPSC target at 200 meters.

You have to remember that when I was shooting this rifle, I was using my range bag as a front rest with my off hand working as the rear rest. The sights were pretty lined up when I got it so I didn't adjust the sights, I just compensated by holding over. The rifle was shooting high and left so what I did was use a 6 O'clock hold and put the left corner of the front sight post of the bottom right corner of the target. I was able to easily take out a IPSC target out, with both the 7N1 and Bulgarian FMJ. The trigger reminded me of a AR two stage trigger type with take up at the start of the pull and a clean light brake. Jim later filled me in that the trigger can be "tuned" to the users preferences and can be adjusted to brake cleanly. I think anyone seriously using a PSL for long range work should consider this upgrade to their rifle.
Recoil was not an issue with this gun and the brake made it very easy to keep on target even with its lack of weight. The stock used on the rifle was an improvement over what normally comes on a PSL. It has a very natural grip angle and comes with a cheek piece that you can move out of the way to use the iron sights. When using an optic the piece rotates into place giving you a solid cheek weld and consistent eye relief every time!
All in all I was very impressed with the total package. The gun was comfortable to carry and shoot. I believe Rifle Dynamics was able to create a better and more accurate PSL rifle. While shooting it Saturday I stretched it out to 500 meters. I put the rear sight on the #5 mark and used the same hold over I was using for 200 meters. I was able to hit 7 out of 10 rounds using 7N1. I have no doubt that with a good optic and ammo this rifle is cabable of consistent hits of a man sized target out to 800 meters, maybe more is talnted hands!

NOW I WANT ONE!!

Thanks for letting me take the rifle for a spin Jim!

Joe Comfort

www.sincityprecision.com

Last edited by JFComfort; 11-11-2009 at 10:37 PM.
JFComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
ducker
Lock and Load
I've been Banned!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Damn 800 meters! That is bad ashe.
ducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Pachinko Pistola
Certified by DHS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Thanks for the great writeup.

What modifications were done to the rifle?

"Abraham Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal."
Pachinko Pistola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
JFComfort
Long Range Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachinko Pistola View Post
Thanks for the great writeup.

What modifications were done to the rifle?

Jim is the man to ask but I know he installed a upgraded trigger, shortened the barrel to about 20" and just worked over the gun tightening the tolerences to squeeze out more accuracy but keeping the gun extemely reliable. He also swaped out the original stock for a synthetic one that had better ergonomics and the movable cheek piece I mentioned. The stock was sweet for a PSL you didnt have that feeling like you have to extend the hell out of your tigger finger. All these changes added up to take this PSL to the next level, I can't wait to see what Gabe is able to do with it after he adds his optic.

www.sincityprecision.com

Last edited by JFComfort; 11-12-2009 at 04:46 AM. Reason: check spelling
Old 11-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
Pachinko Pistola
Certified by DHS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFComfort View Post
Jim is the man to ask but I know he installed a upgraded adjustable trigger, shortened the barrel to about 20" and just worked over the gun tightening the tolerences to squeeze out more accuracy but keeping the gun extemely reliable. He also swaped out the original stock for a synthetic one that had better ergonomics and the movable cheek piece I mentioned. The stock was sweet for a PSL you didnt have that feeling like you have to extend the hell out of your tigger finger. All these changes added up to take this PSL to the next level, I can't wait to see what Gabe is able to do with it after he adds his optic.

I'm no gunsmith, but doesn't shortening the barrel make it less accurate?

Wouldn't that also change the speed of the bullet and throw off the bullet drop compensation on the factory scope?

"Abraham Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal."
Pachinko Pistola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #6
JFComfort
Long Range Shooter

Shortening the barrel doesn't effect accuracy but it does slow the bullet down by maybe 75 fps, could be more. Which would effect the bullet drop comp. on the factory scope. Gabe is going to be using his own "western" optic so this wont effect him. By shortening the barrel you gain regiditiy and that increases accuracy. To reach out to a 1k yards you really only need 18" of barrel length. Low Light on snipershide.com demonstraded that with a 18" bolt gun and was consistently ringing steel with it.

The shorter barrel also helps this gun fill is role as the "Guerrilla Sniper Rifle" by improving it's balance and getting rid of extra weight you dont need. You have to remember this isn't a F-Class Palma rifle.

A stock PSL has a light contour 24" barrel and isn't the most rigid barrel in the world.

Sonic Sammy was every impressed with the rifle and that says a lot, he's pretty picky with in comes to D.M. or precision weapons.

www.sincityprecision.com

Last edited by JFComfort; 06-11-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
Jim Fuller
Rifle Dynamics 07FFL/SOT

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

JF Comfort
Thanks for the great write up, I truly appreciate having skilled shooters like you guys for this kind of testing. My eyes are just to old for distances like that.
100 yrds or less I'm GTG but beyond that God Bless your young talented eyes.

As for the mods to the gun JCF covered most of it. When you shorten the barrel you eliminate barrel whip which increases accuracy. Yes you will loose about 75fps but it is a good trade off for the better accuracy. Remember the balistics of the 7.62x54r is very similar to our .3006 so 75fps is not much to loose. Additionally you must get rid of the terrible muzzel device that comes on the PSL, it is awful for accuracy.

This gun will go out to Suarez this week, he will scope it with a US 3x9 and test it further.

For those of you who wish to upgrade your PSL we will have services and pricing available soon.

Again thanks to JC Comfert, 7.62 and Sonic Sammy.
Jim Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
requiem
deum genus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fuller View Post
JF Comfort
Thanks for the great write up, I truly appreciate having skilled shooters like you guys for this kind of testing. My eyes are just to old for distances like that.
100 yrds or less I'm GTG but beyond that God Bless your young talented eyes.

As for the mods to the gun JCF covered most of it. When you shorten the barrel you eliminate barrel whip which increases accuracy. Yes you will loose about 75fps but it is a good trade off for the better accuracy. Remember the balistics of the 7.62x54r is very similar to our .3006 so 75fps is not much to loose. Additionally you must get rid of the terrible muzzel device that comes on the PSL, it is awful for accuracy.

This gun will go out to Suarez this week, he will scope it with a US 3x9 and test it further.

For those of you who wish to upgrade your PSL we will have services and pricing available soon.

Again thanks to JC Comfert, 7.62 and Sonic Sammy.
the major downfall of the PSL is the thin barrel - it heats up fast. you can actually see the heat waves coming off it when looking through the scope after 5-10 shots. Is there anything that can be done to alleviate this?

I tend to look her cool over after 10 shots or so.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
Jim Fuller
Rifle Dynamics 07FFL/SOT

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
the major downfall of the PSL is the thin barrel - it heats up fast. you can actually see the heat waves coming off it when looking through the scope after 5-10 shots. Is there anything that can be done to alleviate this?

I tend to look her cool over after 10 shots or so.
It's really not a downfall if the gun is lighter but you can still make head shots out to 200 and body shots out to 600. Remember the role of the GSR is for the individule working alone who must be able to shoot and move in a stealth manner. Over heating of the barrell is not a big issue with the gun in this role as it will not likey see high round counts in a short amount of time.
Jim Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
requiem
deum genus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fuller View Post
It's really not a downfall if the gun is lighter but you can still make head shots out to 200 and body shots out to 600. Remember the role of the GSR is for the individule working alone who must be able to shoot and move in a stealth manner. Over heating of the barrell is not a big issue with the gun in this role as it will not likey see high round counts in a short amount of time.
granted, but i am thinking more of during 'practice'.