Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > General Conversation

Notices

General Conversation The place to discuss topics NOT firearm related. ** Make sure the topic in question does not belong in another section before posting. **

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
pinnipegcrunch
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hackers hack baby monitor

wifi based baby monitors have been hacked so please take precautions if you do have one and protect the young ones. i can't believe these creeps...

http://www.zdnet.com/baby-monitor-ha...ds-7000019393/
Old 08-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
jpa
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Note to parents: Secure your wifi network and this won't happen.

The monitor wasn't hacked, their wifi network was accessed. Idiots probably left it unsecured or had a super simple passkey.
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
darsh
always carry

Also, be sure to use WPA2 if possible. WEP keys can be cracked in a matter of minutes or even seconds (no joke, I have done it myself for fun). WPA2, while not invincible, is much harder to break.
darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
Cjanik
uber n00b

thats actually a good baby monitor if it goes to your home network.

The one I used to have was a general baby monitor that had an A and B frequency. you paired your frequencies on the monitor and camera to get video.

I had mine on A, I put the monitor to B for the heck of it and I was looking in my neighbors baby's room!!
Cjanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
40packin
You're daisy if you do

This is nothing. You should see what was being hacked at blackhat and defcon this year. You know that camera on your samsung smart tv? Yeah. Easy. That's just one example. If you have anything attached to your home network, its liable to be hacked, and easily so.

"The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly."
40packin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
Velvett
Top DPS

Given the right guidance any 11yo can hack your stuff. Go back to when you kept your info on paper. problem solved.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
40packin
You're daisy if you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvett View Post
Given the right guidance any 11yo can hack your stuff. Go back to when you kept your info on paper. problem solved.
Haha, simple but effective, yes.

"The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly."
40packin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
ElevenBravo
Obsessed Member

wep keys can be cracked easily. my record is 20 seconds. wpa/wpa2 can be defeated if you know how to ask the AP correctly when people forget to turn off a couple of convenient features. not changing the default passwords for their gear- i love it when that happens. i have a list of thousands of default vendor passwords that my tools can run through in minutes.

what we have here are parents who are too stupid to secure their wireless network, so i have few hopes for the kid they're raising.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
Pale Rider
Obsessed Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
wep keys can be cracked easily. my record is 20 seconds. wpa/wpa2 can be defeated if you know how to ask the AP correctly when people forget to turn off a couple of convenient features. not changing the default passwords for their gear- i love it when that happens. i have a list of thousands of default vendor passwords that my tools can run through in minutes.

what we have here are parents who are too stupid to secure their wireless network, so i have few hopes for the kid they're raising.
Most adults are unfortunately electronically functionally illiterate. Just like people who can't read but get by with associate and repetition, it's worse for technology. The fact people don't know you can turn off broadcasting of their wireless signal, or as you mentioned change the password in a minute or two is scary.
Pale Rider is offline   Reply With Quote