Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > General Conversation

Notices

General Conversation The place to discuss topics NOT firearm related. ** Make sure the topic in question does not belong in another section before posting. **

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
gixxer760
Domestic Terrorist aka pa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default nevada 3 wheel scooter laws

Ok so my dads wants a 3 wheel scooter and i just wanna make sure i know all the laws before he gets one and wether or not he needs a class C or class m license. (not sure if it matters but his license is a california class C but the scooter will be in NV only) If i read the NRS correct then if it has 3 wheels and 2 are drive gears then its a trike and needs a class C but if it only has one powered wheel its a motorcycle and needs lic and reg.

One more thing whats the max CC on the trike? He keeps saying the scooter shop said 150cc you dont need a license, im saying its 50cc please help me on this, definately do not want any issues.
gixxer760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Mooman76
Obsessed Member

Call or email DMV to be sure but I know mopeds are may 50cc before they have to have a license so I think it would be the same for a 3 wheeler.
Mooman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
Bernymac
Panay Mintis

A scooter or one of those Can-Am type three wheelers? Those require motorcycle licenses.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
tuolumnejim
uber Member

In Nevada they need a motorcycle license, in California they do not.

I know this because I called the Nevada DMV to ask about my bike, the sidecar could come off but I would have to relocate the battery and install a sidestand of which it never came with.
I went with a sidecar bike because I've got a bum foot, hire the handicapped were more fun to watch!

Ah-ha I found the Nevada definition of motorcycle.

Quote:
NRS 486.041 “Motorcycle” defined. “Motorcycle” means every motor vehicle equipped with a seat or a saddle for the use of the driver and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, excluding an electric bicycle as defined in NRS 483.067, a tractor and a moped.
(Added to NRS by 1971, 1465; A 1975, 1082; 2009, 403)
tuolumnejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
loic
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default Re: nevada 3 wheel scooter laws

A t-rex would be more fun !
uploadfromtaptalk1368129015601.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
loic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
drtnsnw
Obsessed Member

Default Re: nevada 3 wheel scooter laws

A couple of things I am pretty sure of about scooters. 50 cc and above require class m. It has to be over 250 cc to be legal on highways. I know the spiders are required to licensed so it must be because of the drive configuration.

FROM MY ROCKIN REZOUND
drtnsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #7
turborich
Obsessed Member

All scooters now require a class C license to operate. Once you go above 50 cc then you need the motorcycle endorsement as well as insurance and a helmet.

I believe if it has 3 wheels then only a class C license and insurance is required. Check with www.dmvnv.com to be sure.
turborich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #8
tuolumnejim
uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborich View Post
All scooters now require a class C license to operate. Once you go above 50 cc then you need the motorcycle endorsement as well as insurance and a helmet.

I believe if it has 3 wheels then only a class C license and insurance is required. Check with www.dmvnv.com to be sure.
Nope read the quote in post four.

Quote:
NRS 486.041 “Motorcycle” defined. “Motorcycle” means every motor vehicle equipped with a seat or a saddle for the use of the driver and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, excluding an electric bicycle as defined in NRS 483.067, a tractor and a moped.
(Added to NRS by 1971, 1465; A 1975, 1082; 2009, 403)
tuolumnejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #9
gixxer760
Domestic Terrorist aka pa

Got a response from the dmv, I listed it below in case anyone is interested.

Good Afternoon,

If the "trike" has two wheels in the front, then it is considered a motorcycle and your father would need to have the "M" endorsement on his license and the vehicle would need to be registered and insured as a motorcycle.

If the "trike" has two wheels in the back, then your father would only need the class "C" license and would not have to have it registered or insured as long as:

·******* the vehicle is propelled by a small engine which produces not more than 2 gross brake horsepower

·******* has a displacement of not more than 50 cubic centimeters or produces not more than 1500 watts final output

·******* is capable of a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on a flat surface with not more than 1 percent grade in any direction when the motor is engaged.

If any of the above requirements are not met, then it would be considered a motorcycle and the driver’s license and registration would need to reflect so. *

Nevada law states if the vehicle is operated in Nevada for at least 30 days in a calendar year, then it needs to be registered in Nevada (if it qualifies as a motorcycle).

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

*********** Rebecca R.

*********** DMV Technician I

*********** Central Services Division

*********** Phone Room
gixxer760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #10
loic
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

if mc license is needed, i would recommend taking the msf class for it, its a 2 and half day class, using their bike and passing the license at the same time. (just have to bring the paperwork to the dmv)
loic is online now   Reply With Quote