Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > How To's

Notices

How To's Tips, Tutorials, How-To's and more. Post 'em here!

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
lasvegasxd
uber Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking how to make your own holster?

can we start a D I Y thread, any ideas please .
lasvegasxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
JimBianchi
Daddy

Do you know what kind of holster you are looking for?

I've made a lot of pocket holsters over the years. Very easy and cheap to do.

I've also made a few Cowboy Single Action holsters in the past. But to be honest, I did it in the eary 80's when such holster were rare. Now I can find a wide variety of great rigs for under $50 making my motivation to spend 10hrs hand tooling and hand stitching a fancy holster small to say the least.

But pockets are easy.

Also Tandy Leather sells a few kits to make your own. I bought one years ago and improved on the design and used it as a template for a bunch of rigs.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address

Beware the Prophet seeking Profit, Dennis Miller, Conservative Radio Host
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
JFComfort
Long Range Shooter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

You have leather working tools? If you have the tools you can make what ever kind of holster you want. I've made two, one for a 1911 and one from my glock.. for me the hardest part was making the templets and getting everything cut out neatly. There are also many different options as far as what type of stitch you want to use..

www.sincityprecision.com
JFComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
lasvegasxd
uber Member

Default for a glock 30sf iwb

i bought a pice of leather for $ 16.00, then i traced, and i got three pieces, i'm just waiting on my kydex and screws, total cost will be less then $ 50.00 for 3 holsters
Old 06-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
Facejackets
Low Speed High Drag

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegasxd View Post
i bought a pice of leather for $ 16.00, then i traced, and i got three pieces, i'm just waiting on my kydex and screws, total cost will be less then $ 50.00 for 3 holsters
Wanna make me one for a Glock 17?
Facejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
lasvegasxd
uber Member

Default more ideas from others sites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5CGfoxnKaQ

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/hs2000-...olsters-4.html
Old 04-01-2010, 04:11 AM   #7
gun daddy
Garage Sale King

I made use of the art programs in high school in the 80's. Leatherwork was one class that has always come in handy.

I wetform my holsters. I get two pieces of leather. I get a basic shape of the overall pattern and then I figure out cant angle and determine where the slide/barrel will be. I punch the stitch holes then I stitch along the slide/barrel line. I have now stitched the two pieces of leather together. I wet the leather with warm water to make it malleable, place the gun where it should be located and then I trace the contours of the gun on the outside of the leather with a tool. I use an exacto knife HANDLE for this as it is smooth and hard.

I continue to form the leather around the gun until it dries. I then remove the gun and punch the stitch holes and stitch it up. Easier said than done.

I reverse the leather on my IWB holsters to keep the rough leather out to get a more secure surface area which keeps the holster in position without shifting,and I keep the inside of the holster with the smooth leather for smooth and fast draw.

This IWB holster form fit for my G19. The outer pieces of leather are stitched on to add strength and keep the mouth of the holster rigid. I created tension between the two pieces of leather before stitching them so the holster does not collapse on itself after the gun is drawn and the gun can be reholstered without the use of a second hand.

You cannot tell as much from the outside but the inside of the holster is a perfect image of the G19. The wet leather when it is pressed against the gun with the tool imprints the shape of the gun.
It is very comfortable and I forget I am wearing it.

100% handwork. No machines of any kind used to make it. About 6 hours to make

With the severe lacking of any decent holsters for the CZ82/83 series pistols I made an IWB which is not as finely finished as a factory holster but it works superbly.

These are pics of my long carried CZ holster. Lots of mileage out of this one.

Same theory but one piece of leather wet formed around the gun.

The second outer strengthening layer does double duty keeping the holster open and rigid and also sandwiching the belt loop mounting screws so they are not inside the holster exposed to the gun. This turned out to be a solid rig.

Last edited by gun daddy; 04-01-2010 at 07:19 AM.
gun daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:50 AM   #8
rat907
Another Clown With Guns™

gun daddy... thats a sweet looking IWB, i much prefer the belt loop over a clip retension... 100% solid.

i also suspect that the rough out is more comfortable on your side and less likely to slip around, my iwb is if i dont cinch down the old belt.

i have an old safariland #18 IWB that is 2 peices of rough leather sandwiching a polymer inside that eliminates the need of outer leather peices, but its store bought.

this is the newer version of the #18 (smooth and black, mine is light and rough), but shaped the same. mine has abit more leather where the hammer spur would be than on this one for the SW 642.
________
WASHINGTON DISPENSARIES
rat907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:54 AM   #9
Quickdraw
"Ho'old on there"

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Daveinvegas on this forum had a great thread about making Kydex holsters but I just checked it and all of his pictures are gone. http://www.nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=6870

Dave are you out there? He also made some beautiful sheathes for knives.
Quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #10
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

@ gun daddy, it looks like you've got a horrible amount of belt whobble in that final pic. Are you using standard store bought belts or have you upgraded to a dedicated gun belt for daily wear?

I always had issues with guns fidgeting around, but bought a Blackhawk dress belt with a plastic insert and since forgot I carry guns on that belt. Super stiff, doesn't let the gun move, uber good...