Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Curios & Relics

Notices

Curios & Relics 50+ years old, historically significant, or collector's firearms

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Brewer79
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 8mm mauser, Yugo....

So I have a G43 that needs feeding and I know the 1953 Yugo is verboten. What about 1956 Yugo?

Any experiences? Case separations? ect... Trying to keep it going in this ammo shortage.
Brewer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
pinnipegcrunch
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

no experience firing from a semi auto but on my 24/47 i had some ftf's from some yugo ammo. glad i only bought 40 rds. i have no issues with turkish ammo, a little "hot" but goes bang all the time. using new prvi now and reloading the brass....
Old 03-26-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
#5MK1
Skeptical

old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer79 View Post
So I have a G43 that needs feeding and I know the 1953 Yugo is verboten. What about 1956 Yugo?

Any experiences? Case separations? ect... Trying to keep it going in this ammo shortage.
Why is 53 Yugo verboten???

All of the Yugo 8mm from the fifties is about the same as far problems go. The big change in Yugo 8mm came in the seventies from then on it is all exc. ammo. Hard to find nowdays and very expensive.

Yugo fifities is all.

196 grain and mfg from two factories 11, 12.

Four diff. powders were used, and storage cond. vary and some is exc. and some poor.

Accuracy is inconsistand from batch to batch, but overall very good.

It has a hist. of case splits, which bolt guns handle well, don't know about the G43. Not case seperations. SPLITS.

We have shot countless thousands of rounds of this stuff and never had a case seperation. But lots of case splits. Always wear shooting glasses, the Mauser handle the splits well and do not damage the bolt rifles.

Also it has recessed primers, so a strong fp spring is needed.

Turk 8mm from the forties on is not recomended for semi auto guns. It is 154 grain and loaded to around 3200 give or take fps.

Older turk black primers is 196 grain and exc. ammo.

If you want exc. surplus 8mm Yugo get seventies or newer Yugo. Or M75 Yugo sniper ammo from the nineties. No problems and exc. accuracy.

Very hard to find nowdays. But all other surplus is a crap shoot.

Commercial 8mm is in gen. underloaded and not desirable for those that need good accuracy.
#5MK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
#5MK1
Skeptical

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnipegcrunch View Post
no experience firing from a semi auto but on my 24/47 i had some ftf's from some yugo ammo. glad i only bought 40 rds. i have no issues with turkish ammo, a little "hot" but goes bang all the time. using new prvi now and reloading the brass....
A common fix for the fifties FTF is replacing the fp spring with a stronger one from Wolf springs they have them all the way up to 30 lbs. standard is 19 lbs.

Usually a 24 lb or 26 lb will do the job.

The fifties Yugo has recessed primers and need extra ommmph to fire.

Turk 8mm from the forties is not hot. It is loaded to right specs. for the bullet weight which is 154 grain. Mauser twist is for 196 grain.

The lighter bullet seems to shoot better in the longer barreled Mausers like the turk Mausers. The 24/47s will shoot it OK, but it won't be target quality.

In Turk ammo the 1947 is the stinko year, loose bullets and poor quality.
Most other years are pretty good. The stuff from the late thirties is HB and exc.

Turk ammo 3200 fps 154 grain

Yugo around 2500 fps. 196 grain

It is percieved as "hot" because of the added recoil.

Turk 8mm LB is kick butt ammo.
#5MK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
pinnipegcrunch
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #5MK1 View Post
A common fix for the fifties FTF is replacing the fp spring with a stronger one from Wolf springs they have them all the way up to 30 lbs. standard is 19 lbs.

Usually a 24 lb or 26 lb will do the job.

The fifties Yugo has recessed primers and need extra ommmph to fire.

Turk 8mm from the forties is not hot. It is loaded to right specs. for the bullet weight which is 154 grain. Mauser twist is for 196 grain.

The lighter bullet seems to shoot better in the longer barreled Mausers like the turk Mausers. The 24/47s will shoot it OK, but it won't be target quality.

In Turk ammo the 1947 is the stinko year, loose bullets and poor quality.
Most other years are pretty good. The stuff from the late thirties is HB and exc.

Turk ammo 3200 fps 154 grain

Yugo around 2500 fps. 196 grain

It is percieved as "hot" because of the added recoil.

Turk 8mm LB is kick butt ammo.
thank you sir, learned a lot from you today. yeah i noticed the turk ammo shooting a little high and a little more kick than the prvi, i guess that is why percieved it as hot. i've been trying to get some info online mostly on the parallax website but some are lengthy and i admit i get lazy most of the times reading it so i just ask. i really appreciate you partaking some of your knowledge...
Old 03-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Brewer79
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #5MK1 View Post
Why is 53 Yugo verboten???

All of the Yugo 8mm from the fifties is about the same as far problems go. The big change in Yugo 8mm came in the seventies from then on it is all exc. ammo. Hard to find nowdays and very expensive.

Yugo fifities is all.

196 grain and mfg from two factories 11, 12.

Four diff. powders were used, and storage cond. vary and some is exc. and some poor.

Accuracy is inconsistand from batch to batch, but overall very good.

It has a hist. of case splits, which bolt guns handle well, don't know about the G43. Not case seperations. SPLITS.

We have shot countless thousands of rounds of this stuff and never had a case seperation. But lots of case splits. Always wear shooting glasses, the Mauser handle the splits well and do not damage the bolt rifles.

Also it has recessed primers, so a strong fp spring is needed.

Turk 8mm from the forties on is not recomended for semi auto guns. It is 154 grain and loaded to around 3200 give or take fps.

Older turk black primers is 196 grain and exc. ammo.

If you want exc. surplus 8mm Yugo get seventies or newer Yugo. Or M75 Yugo sniper ammo from the nineties. No problems and exc. accuracy.

Very hard to find nowdays. But all other surplus is a crap shoot.

Commercial 8mm is in gen. underloaded and not desirable for those that need good accuracy.
From what i've seen, and experienced, case failures on semi-autos & Mg's can easily be catastrophic. And I've been told by one of the guys that shoots the competitions that the 53's are the worst of the bunch for case failures. He still has a piece of brass embedded in his leg from one (and a damaged Mg, blew the bottom out of it.) So I'd much rather avoid anything that could destroy this old rifle.

Thank you for the info on the other Yugo ammo, I guess I'll keep looking. I've been using 1999 production M75, but I'm down to the last few hundred rounds. Maybe enough for two to three more matches. I've been collecting reloading components & I've finally gotten the rifle to stop throwing the brass 30+ feet.

anyway, some vids of the last match. Using 1999 production M75 ammo.

and an MG08/15 for good measure...

Last edited by Just Deserts; 03-28-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Brewer79 is offline   Reply With Quote