Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Curios & Relics

Notices

Curios & Relics 50+ years old, historically significant, or collector's firearms

User Tag List

Old 11-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
Pachinko Pistola
Certified by DHS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default How to get your 03 FFL (C&R) Curios & Relics License from the ATF

How to get your 03 FFL (C&R) Curios & Relics License from the ATF

Why should I get one?

Many stores such as MidwayUSA and Brownells give “dealer” discounts to FFL holders.

You can also avoid transfer and Brady fees by having certain firearms shipped directly to your home.

To be classified as a Curio & Relic, it needs to be over 50 years old, or a significant portion of its value must come from the fact that it is a collectible. The firearms with collectible value can be manufactured specifically as a collectible, or they can have historical significance for being issued to a domestic or foreign military. For example, a SVD Dragunov of Russian manufacture is a C&R gun even though it is not 50+ years old. A Makarov pistol manufactured for the Soviet army in the 1980s or 1990s is also considered a C&R gun. Most World War era firearms are classified as C&R (eg. our .30 M1 rifle). For a partial list of eligible firearms look here: http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...-p-5300-11.pdf List of firearms starts around page 18

How much is the 03 FFL license?
$30 for 3 years. You will QUICKLY make back the application fee through discounts and transfer/Brady fees. Just one firearm order will pay for the fee. Then it’s all savings!

Can I deal firearms with this FFL?
No. You need a 01 FFL to deal firearms. The 03 FFL is just for collectors. You can buy and sell firearms as any collector would, but you cannot make significant profits on frequent purchases and sales. If you are buying and selling too often and making too much money, the ATF will perceive this as dealing and they will not renew your FFL. You need to keep simple records of your transactions. ATF has the right to perform an annual audit on your collection, but the chances of actually being audited are extremely slim. I have never heard of anyone with a C&R FFL being audited.

OK. I’m sold. How do I get one?
Step 1) Go to this link. http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/
Enter your name, email, phone number, and mailing address.
On the right side, you will see some radio buttons. Select this radio button: “F 7CR (5310.16) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms” Then click Add at the top. It will add the form to your order. Now select “F 5330.20 - Certificate of Compliance With 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B)” and add it.
Now click Submit to place your order. In a couple of day, you will receive these forms from the ATF.

Step 2) Fill out your ATF forms. The forms are almost identical to the Brady check forms that you fill out at the gun stores. The first form is for the ATF. It includes an area for payment information. Fill out this form and then mail it to the ATF.
The second form is the same thing, minus the payment information . This duplicate form is for your chief law enforcement officer. In Las Vegas, the chief law enforcement officer is the Clark County Sheriff, Douglas C. Gillespie. The Sheriff doesn’t have anything to do with your FFL approval, but you are required to mail him a copy of the form.

Step 3) The hard part: the wait. Mine only took 3 weeks to arrive. They are pretty good about getting your FFL to you.

Step 4) When your FFL arrives, DO NOT sign the original. Make several copies and if you have a scanner make a scan of it. That way you can print it out if you need a copy. Print about 10 copies of your FFL. Sign all of the copies in blue ink. Now send a signed copy to all of your favorite dealers. Don’t forget to write your customer id number on the FFL. That will allow them to display the dealer prices for your account.

That’s it. You’re done. Now put together that World War II collection that you’ve always wanted!

View the ATF FAQ here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/collectors.html

UPDATE LINKS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Capitolin View Post
Mods may want to update the original post, and correct/replace the forms link. The correct page is here: http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/at...16-notice.html

Direct link to forms:

"God may have created all men, but Sam Colt made them equal."

Last edited by titanNV; 01-31-2011 at 12:42 AM. Reason: update links
Pachinko Pistola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
AnakinsKid
No, you're not my father.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I had no idea it was this easy. I'll be doing this right away. I just requested the forms.

Some questions I didn't see in the FAQ:

1) For the audit - does this take place at your residence, or can you opt to bring the guns and records in to the local ATF office?

2) Is there a "safe storage" requirement? Do you have to keep trigger locks on the guns or keep them in a safe?

3) Do you need to list all your guns in your "bound book", or just those that you acquire/dispose of with the C&R license?

4) It says you don't have to turn in your "bound book" records if you let the license expire, but is there a requirement for how long you must keep the records? Either xx years, or forever?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
Pachinko Pistola
Certified by DHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakinsKid View Post
1) For the audit - does this take place at your residence, or can you opt to bring the guns and records in to the local ATF office?
It's up to you. You can do it at your residence, or at the nearest office. IMO you will only be audited if you're doing something suspicious like buying a crate of 20 rifles and selling them on gun broker every month

Quote:
2) Is there a "safe storage" requirement? Do you have to keep trigger locks on the guns or keep them in a safe?
Nope, there isn't. But I personally keep all of mine locked up.

Quote:
3) Do you need to list all your guns in your "bound book", or just those that you acquire/dispose of with the C&R license?
Only guns that you purchase with your FFL. If you go buy a gun at a gun store, it doesn't have to be logged. Even if it's a C&R gun. But why would you do that?

Quote:
4) It says you don't have to turn in your "bound book" records if you let the license expire, but is there a requirement for how long you must keep the records? Either xx years, or forever?
Nope. The day your license expires, you can burn the book.

Pachinko Pistola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
Dark Angel
Smoke Em'!

Who's tried this? I have requested the paperwork twice and still have not received it.
Dark Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
AnakinsKid
No, you're not my father.

I requested the paperwork right after this was posted. The "Certificate of Compliance" came in about a week. The "Application for License" came a few days ago. I don't know why there was a delay between the two. I'll fill them out and send in sometime soon.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:58 AM   #6
requiem
deum genus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

I sent away for my C&R stuff about 2 weeks ago. since i am getting more into older mil surp type guns, it only makes sense to do so.
Member #1
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:08 AM   #7
Dark Angel
Smoke Em'!

Wierd, I haven't gotten anything yet.
Dark Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:47 AM   #8
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

I have had a C&R 03 since the class of license was first created back in the late 60's. Kept it when I retired 4 years ago, but turned in my manufacturer's license,dealer in NFA weapons and destructive devices as well as my 01 dealers license. You really don't need the dealers license when you have the manufacturers license and the two business share a common location, but its best to be safe with the BATFE!
That said,

Quote:
"3) Do you need to list all your guns in your "bound book", or just those that you acquire/dispose of with the C&R license?

Only guns that you purchase with your FFL. If you go buy a gun at a gun store, it doesn't have to be logged. Even if it's a C&R gun. But why would you do that?" (end quote)

If you want to be on the safe side with BATFE I would suggest the following:
Before purchasing the first C&R firearm with your new 03 license, I would get two bound books. List all the C&R pieces you already own in one, along with the purchase date, seller, etc. if you can remember or have that data.
This will help if you to prove what you HAVE used the C&R to acquire and what you have not used it for, ever do get audited. I have never been audited for my C&R, and only know one person who has, but two cousins in the BATFE Enforcement and Compliance division both say that they do occur and that they have done them.
In the second bound book list every firearm that you acquire AFTER getting your 03, whether you use the 03 to obtain it or not. Just make a note in the space most bound books provide stating that you did not submit a copy of the 03 to the seller of this particular piece as they were a private party, you bought it at a gun shop, show, whatever. BATFE likes to see these kinds of notes (so the cousins say) as it lets them determine exactly what the 03 has and has not been used for.
As I said, not required, but will keep the auditing agent in a good frame of mind.
Be meticulous about the entries in the second bound book as far as the required information goes. Print it neatly and legibly, and do so as soon as possible after receiving the piece.
While I have never been audited on my C&R, I was contacted by BATFE about a C&R piece that I purchased and later traded off, as it was the subject of a burglary and shooting some 10 years after I traded it off. The fellow I traded it to, also a C&R holder, didn't keep neat books, and couldn't provide some info on the piece when asked. Like verifying the model and serial number. BATFE wasn't happy with him. HE got audited. And because his records were so sloppy (he would often forget to log in new pieces for months after receiving them, sometimes not at all, and his handwriting was illegible) he received a fine and they didn't renew his C&R when it came due.

I was audited nearly yearly for the 30+ years I owned a gun shop. Never received a citation or even a down check. I was really anal about my books, kept multiple copies of them (perfectly legal as long as they match) and after PCs became available kept backup copies on it.
Should you have to be so paranoid? No. But the BATFE often oversteps their boundaries, and unless you want your life to become a nightmare, its best to be really careful with any FFL.
The only problem I ever had with BATFE was when I went out of business and sent in my books to the "Out of Business Records Center" in Falls Church, VA.
Got a signed receipt from the agent who signed for the registered package.
18 months later, got a nasty letter telling me I was in deep doo doo because my FFL's had expired and they had not gotten my books. It was signed by the same agent who signed for my books! Proved to him that they had gotten them. Got a letter stating so, and that I was good to go in their eyes now.
18 months after THAT got another nasty letter, same as the first but now instead of fines I was also facing jail. Called that agent, got him to conference in the first agent, got another letter telling me I was OK. The third 18 month period will be up in April of 2009, I am eagerly awaiting the next letter! Not betting they won't send it. But sure hope they don't.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:56 AM   #9
requiem
deum genus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Angel View Post
Wierd, I haven't gotten anything yet.
i guess requests are up because of Lord Obama as well.

funny, i had a C&R all filled out on my desk, but then had my ND which destroyed it. so i guess i am going to have to do it all again!
Member #1
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
Pachinko Pistola
Certified by DHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas View Post
i had a C&R all filled out on my desk, but then had my ND which destroyed it
That XD is a real desk killer!