Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Long Guns

Notices

Long Guns Rifles of all shapes and sizes...evil black rifles (EBR's), carbines, hunting rifles, shotguns, black powder, military surplus...talk about it here.

User Tag List

Old 12-30-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
LvEp3
uber Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Have you built an ar15 80% lower?

I was watching some videos (love you YouTube!!!) it seems moderate, not too bad. Any of you built em before? Was it a pain in the a$$? Thanks
LvEp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
LvEp3
uber Member

????
Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
pinnipegcrunch
Obsessed Member

i have contemplated doing this a long time ago too, during the first great here comes obama gun buying panic 4 years ago. but did not pursue it. these are my personal reasons. first is the cost. to get all the tools and jigs would be more than what you would be paying for a finished receiver. (but with the current situation, these may not be the case). it may look simple from the videos and the forums but unless you have a mill, the finish will not be great. the drilling jigs they have online for using a drill press is also very appealing but in practice may be very difficult as well because after you drill the pilot holes you would still need to remove the areas between the holes.you can use a rotary tool like a dremel with a grinding wheel but it will not be pretty so you would need an x y table for you drill press and an end mill chucked up. then comes the question of aluminum hardness. bare aluminum is rather soft and easily scratches, that is why most ar aluminum parts are hard anodized (type 3 i think). the homebrew anodizing that is floating around the internet will not even come close to the rockwell hardness of commercial finishes. this is due to how deep the anodizing penetrates which is based on how high a current you can produce which will be hard to nearly impossible from your household outlet. of course you can have it commercially anodized and of course you can paint it if you wish. sorry i if it may sound like i am dissuading you, but like i said these comment are my own personal reasons. if you do pursue it and complete it please post pics and good luck.
pinnipegcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:55 AM   #4
2GoneDE
uber Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

If your talking about putting the pieces together to make a functional lower receiver, it's a piece of cake. 2 hour job max....but if your talking about machining one?...a true project
2GoneDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:32 AM   #5
rat907
Another Clown With Guns™

Not much to the lower, I can possibly do a lower in an hour.

The meat of the AR is the upper where torquing some things and alignment is critical.

"When you reject the truth, all you have left is a lie" - John Haggee

Keep your barrel clean, powder dry and your balls close at hand

*There isn't a place called Black Mesa, NV. It's a fictitious Government research facility in a 1998 PC video game released by Sierra Studios named Half-Life. In which this facility closely resembles the aura of covert experimentation that surrounds the Nevada Testsite and the hero loosely based on Bob Lazar.
rat907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:42 AM   #6
pinnipegcrunch
Obsessed Member

i am pretty sure the op is not talking about assembling a completed lower. he is talking about an 80 percent unfinished lower.

this http://www.shadowopsweaponry.com/pro...receivers.aspx

video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xsaIbFSDB9Y
Old 12-31-2012, 05:12 AM   #7
LvEp3
uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnipegcrunch View Post
i am pretty sure the op is not talking about assembling a completed lower. he is talking about an 80 percent unfinished lower.

this http://www.shadowopsweaponry.com/pro...receivers.aspx

video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xsaIbFSDB9Y
Yeah that's what I was talking about. I was thinking about trying to find an 80% lower and buy the jigs. And if so seeing if it wasn't impossible for a DIY type person.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
pinnipegcrunch
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvEp3 View Post
Yeah that's what I was talking about. I was thinking about trying to find an 80% lower and buy the jigs. And if so seeing if it wasn't impossible for a DIY type person.
it is not impossible, just very involved. what you could probably do is get a couple of friends together, buy the jig and a couple of blanks and have a build party, this way ou can save money on the jig.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:20 AM   #9
rat907
Another Clown With Guns™

I see now, I only know of raw forge and castings a true DIY job.

"When you reject the truth, all you have left is a lie" - John Haggee

Keep your barrel clean, powder dry and your balls close at hand

*There isn't a place called Black Mesa, NV. It's a fictitious Government research facility in a 1998 PC video game released by Sierra Studios named Half-Life. In which this facility closely resembles the aura of covert experimentation that surrounds the Nevada Testsite and the hero loosely based on Bob Lazar.
rat907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #10
80receiver
Chief Bottle Washer

Milling your DIY 80 is a labor of love. I built my first one using a drill press from harbor Freight, some jigs and templates off the internet and several thousands of holes and several weeks time. My finished product is fully functional if but a bit rough looking in the trigger pocket. My second 80 was done at a build party in San Jose and took about 9 minutes in a CNC machine. No comparing the two parts but I use them both.
brian@80receiver.com

We have lower receivers, barrels and other
AR parts ready to ship.
80receiver is offline   Reply With Quote