Rimfire All things .22 rimfire related

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
bigtubby
Reaper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default 1953 Marlin 39A Mountie

Picked this up a little over a week ago while in Maine just happened to have a copy of my C&R license with me. UPS dropped her off at my house yesterday afternoon.

This is the first year the Mountie was made (no pistol grip)1953 and the only year it was made with a 24" barrel just over 4K of these made that year. The 53 Mountie's are highly collectible and extremely rare. Shoots .22 shorts, longs or LR. These Marlins are super accurate super fun lever action .22's loosen the big screw and it takes down in seconds and can be fit in a backpack. This one is in excellent condition about 95%

With a revolver in hand, I feel like Eliot Ness pursuing Al Capone, or Indiana Jones chasing a Nazi tank on horseback, or Phillip Marlowe going down the mean streets of L.A. With a semiauto in hand, I feel like I'm holding a hair dryer.
bigtubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Beretta96
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Very nice find. I've been looking for one. I love Marlins.

Beretta96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
STV_Keith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I thought the Mountie versions were the carbines? 16" barrel length? That's the ones I'd like to get my hands on.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
bigtubby
Reaper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STV_Keith View Post
I thought the Mountie versions were the carbines? 16" barrel length? That's the ones I'd like to get my hands on.
The mounties have a 20" barrel other than the 1953 1st year mounties that have a 24" barrel.

The straight stock or lack of pistol grip is what makes a Mountie a Mountie not the barrel length as far as I know and I am a long ways from a expert on them.

I would think a 16" barrel would make it a SBR ? and need a tax stamp but not sure.

With a revolver in hand, I feel like Eliot Ness pursuing Al Capone, or Indiana Jones chasing a Nazi tank on horseback, or Phillip Marlowe going down the mean streets of L.A. With a semiauto in hand, I feel like I'm holding a hair dryer.
bigtubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtubby View Post
The mounties have a 20" barrel other than the 1953 1st year mounties that have a 24" barrel.

The straight stock or lack of pistol grip is what makes a Mountie a Mountie not the barrel length as far as I know and I am a long ways from a expert on them.

I would think a 16" barrel would make it a SBR ? and need a tax stamp but not sure.
NICE!

No, it would have to have a less than 16" barrel (as measured from the closed, ready to fire (but with an empty chamber) breech face to the muzzle ) to be a SBR, or an overall length of less than 26 inches to be a SBR and require the tax stamp.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote