Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Long Guns

Notices

Long Guns Rifles of all shapes and sizes...evil black rifles (EBR's), carbines, hunting rifles, shotguns, black powder, military surplus...talk about it here.

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
Tonysnoo
uber n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default My 6mm SLR

Scotty and I were comparing notes this weekend on our 6slrs. The most info on this round can be found at: http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html

Scotty did a nice write up on his project early last spring. I built one a little later. After shooting it in some varmint and long range competitions, as well as lots of range time, i liked the round so much that I built another rifle with a lighter barrel more suitable for hunting.

It shoots 105s and 115s with more than enough speed to stay stable out to 1500. Someday Ill test that theory.

Ive shot 115 Dtacs and Bergers as well as 105 Amaxes, BTHPs, and Bergers.

So far the most accurate load that I tested was the 105 BTHP with 43.2 grains of 4831sc stuck in about .010. This combo gave me two back to back .25 minute groups at 200 yds. The absolute worst group so far at 200 has been 1 minute.

At a 1000 I dont fair as well. I'm pretty sure that the main problem is me and not the rifle. Im anxious to get some more practice at that range so that i get used to it and leave the butterflies home.

Ill be doing some more testing mostly with the new berger to see how that goes.

Hey Scotty, how did you like your new powder combo last weekend?
Tonysnoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
Luxom
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Interesting.
I do have a couple questions though.
1. Why choose this round over the .243win, or .243wssm?
2. Why choose this round over .308?
3. How easy is it to find ammunition for this, or is it pretty much just make it yourself?
and
4. This is going to sound stupid, but at 200 yards what is the measurement in inches for 1moa? Is it still roughly 1 inch? or is it 2 inches at that point?
Sorry, moa still confuses me.
Luxom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
drtnsnw
Obsessed Member

I just received my 6mm turbo 40 improved today. Shot about 20 rounds and had it pulled into about 1inch at a hundred yards with a 20 mph cross windows. This was with fire forming rounds. This gun is going to be a kick to shoot!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
drtnsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
drtnsnw
Obsessed Member

Oh crap, posted to your post before I even realized who started this! Tony, we need to get together and compare these uppers. Dusty and I shot about 20 rounds and piece today and he got his to run 1 hole with 5 rounds at 100 yards. Mine were a little more spread out but the winds kicked up.

Chris

Old 08-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
Tonysnoo
uber n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxom View Post
Interesting.
I do have a couple questions though.
1. Why choose this round over the .243win, or .243wssm?
2. Why choose this round over .308?
3. How easy is it to find ammunition for this, or is it pretty much just make it yourself?
and
4. This is going to sound stupid, but at 200 yards what is the measurement in inches for 1moa? Is it still roughly 1 inch? or is it 2 inches at that point?
Sorry, moa still confuses me.

1) My buddy got me on a 6XC kick, but I didn't want to fire form or do a bunch of hoopla to shoot(plus he was already shooting it and I wanted my own little niche). I ran across the web site and really liked what I read about the round. The 243 has been a fav of mine for years so having this variant was really intriguing. The longer neck and shallower shoulder is supposed to be the bomb for accuracy.

2) With the great selection of high BC 6mm bullets the 308 has a tough time competing any 6mm(or 6.5), especially in the wind, plus you can shoot 45-50 rounds and not feel like your shoulder did anything. A lot less flinching.

3) You can die form the brass from standard 243 brass. It's ready to load and shoot. Nothing commercially available, however.

4) MOA? The easiest way for me to remember is multply MOA times the number of of (hundred) yards. 100 yds X 1MOA = 1" , 200yds X 1MOA =2" , 300yds X 1MOA = 3".....etc etc. Its actually a slight bit more. So .25 MOA at 100yds would be 1/4" between bullet hole centers. .25 MOA at 200yds is 1/2" between bullet hole centers. Hope this explanation helps.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Tonysnoo
uber n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtnsnw View Post
Oh crap, posted to your post before I even realized who started this! Tony, we need to get together and compare these uppers. Dusty and I shot about 20 rounds and piece today and he got his to run 1 hole with 5 rounds at 100 yards. Mine were a little more spread out but the winds kicked up.

Chris

I'm looking forward to see those little hot rods of yours. Mine is based on a bolt action Savage. I put this together as an entry level project so my whole rifle is probably less money than just your upper. Hope I can keep up with you guys.

We just had a long range varmint match so the next one won't be till next month, but what a perfect game to play with your new toys. Give me a call.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
drtnsnw
Obsessed Member

Will do, we are heading to Oregon Sunday, my kid is up there and said there is a bumper crop of coyotes so may have to break email in like that. All the rounds we shot yesterday were to fireform and they were very accurate.

I was kinda surprised you went with a bolt gun, I thought you were going with an ar platform

Chris