Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armed Citizen > Open Carry & Concealed Carry

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
TLeete
uber n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Does Nevada recognize Utah CCP?

I Just moved from Utah to Las Vegas Nevada for work, Does Nevada recognize Utah CCP? Or do I need to attend a Nevada course? I am also looking for a new gun store, I live in Henderson any suggestions?

Great Webpage!
TLeete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
SoLasVegas
ɥsıɟ pɐǝp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Nevada DOES recognize it for NON-Residents of NV. Since you live here now, you need a Nevada permit.
SoLasVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
#5MK1
Skeptical

Depends if you are just visiting or moving for good.

Try Spurlocks. Good store.
#5MK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
USAFshooter
Obsessed Member

i live here, and i'm not a resident. Wisconsin drivers license, pay wisconsin taxes, Utah permit
USAFshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Nevada recognises the Utah CCW. If you're becoming a permanent resident, you'll need to take a course from a recognised instructor, your local sheriff can give you a list of people to talk to, then you'll need to apply for your Nevada CCW. Depending on how fast the turn around is from the Nevada Sheriff, you might have a gap of time where you can't carry I believe you're legal to carry under the Utah permit for 60 days under the statute shown below.

NRS 202.3688 Circumstances in which holder of permit issued by another state may carry concealed firearm in this State; holder of permit issued by another state subject to same restrictions and requirements as holder of permit issued in this State.

1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, a person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may carry a concealed firearm in this State in accordance with the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.

2. A person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may not carry a concealed firearm in this State if the person:

(a) Becomes a resident of this State; and

(b) Has not been issued a permit from the sheriff of the county in which he resides within 60 days after becoming a resident of this State.

3. A person who carries a concealed firearm pursuant to this section is subject to the same legal restrictions and requirements imposed upon a person who has been issued a permit by a sheriff in this State.

Welcome to Nevada! If you want to read the laws regarding CCW and weapons in general, try here:
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRs/NRS-202.html
Old 04-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Facejackets
Low Speed High Drag

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

If you are planning on taking the NV CCW class, PM forum member Kurt Gepke. His class is great.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
jpa
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFshooter View Post
i live here, and i'm not a resident. Wisconsin drivers license, pay wisconsin taxes, Utah permit
There are exceptions for military. If you're not still in the military, you're obligated to get Nevada registration for your vehicles, you have to get a Nevada DL and if you live in Clark county, register your guns. If he legitimately moved here and converts all his docs over, he needs to get a Nevada permit like the rest of us. I know it's a hassle, but these are the things you have to deal with when relocating out of state.

Sorry, all the license plates around here from New York, Texas, Georgia, Washington and (ugh...) California are really starting to get to me. I pay my fair share by registering my car and bike and all these scofflaws get off free. I hope the DPS revenue machine kicks into high gear and starts ticketing these people.
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
shaferlv
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post
There are exceptions for military. If you're not still in the military, you're obligated to get Nevada registration for your vehicles, you have to get a Nevada DL and if you live in Clark county, register your guns. If he legitimately moved here and converts all his docs over, he needs to get a Nevada permit like the rest of us. I know it's a hassle, but these are the things you have to deal with when relocating out of state.

Sorry, all the license plates around here from New York, Texas, Georgia, Washington and (ugh...) California are really starting to get to me. I pay my fair share by registering my car and bike and all these scofflaws get off free. I hope the DPS revenue machine kicks into high gear and starts ticketing these people.

Agreed - just because you say you aren't a resident, and maintain your old driver's license - doesn't mean the state of nevada doesn't consider you a resident. Basically - if you are in Clark county for longer than 60 days, and are gainfully employed (ie not retired, vacationing or here for school), you are at risk for being considered a Nevada Resident.

I found this out the hard way shortly after I relocated here. I still owned property in oregon, and had my car registered there (no sales tax, and 60 per 2 years for any vehicle). I got pulled over, and the LEO stuck me with a $340 ticket for failure to register, plus other assorted fine. I got it knocked down, but it was a hassle. There is now a bill pending in the Nevada assembly to up this fine to $1000 and make enforcement mandatory.
shaferlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
Kurt Gepke
digitspaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
Nevada recognises the Utah CCW. If you're becoming a permanent resident, you'll need to take a course from a recognised instructor, your local sheriff can give you a list of people to talk to, then you'll need to apply for your Nevada CCW. Depending on how fast the turn around is from the Nevada Sheriff, you might have a gap of time where you can't carry I believe you're legal to carry under the Utah permit for 60 days under the statute shown below.

NRS 202.3688 Circumstances in which holder of permit issued by another state may carry concealed firearm in this State; holder of permit issued by another state subject to same restrictions and requirements as holder of permit issued in this State.

1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, a person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may carry a concealed firearm in this State in accordance with the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.

2. A person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may not carry a concealed firearm in this State if the person:

(a) Becomes a resident of this State; and

(b) Has not been issued a permit from the sheriff of the county in which he resides within 60 days after becoming a resident of this State.

3. A person who carries a concealed firearm pursuant to this section is subject to the same legal restrictions and requirements imposed upon a person who has been issued a permit by a sheriff in this State.

Welcome to Nevada! If you want to read the laws regarding CCW and weapons in general, try here:
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRs/NRS-202.html

Correct. 60 days. Also, you're supposed to get Nevada plates and a Nevada Driver License.

I'll hook you up on the permit instruction. Just PM me.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
netentity
Instructor

If he's just a seasonal resident then he's fine on his Utah CFP. However, he does need to register his handguns with LVMPD if he's here longer than 60 days. The OP is a NV resident and needs to get a NV CFP within 60 days of establishing residency. It's a category C felony if you don't.
netentity is offline   Reply With Quote