Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > General Conversation

Notices

General Conversation The place to discuss topics NOT firearm related. ** Make sure the topic in question does not belong in another section before posting. **

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
RenoJohn
.357sig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default private party handgun purchase in nevada

Hello and nice forum here. (my first post)

what are the guidelines/requirements for private party gun sales here in Nevada (Me in Washoe County). ie private party to private party is what I'm curious about.

Thanks in advance for your help.
RenoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

For a private party sale in Nevada:

-Buyer and seller must both be Nevada citizens (typically verified by a Nevada driver's license)

-Buyer must not be prohibited from owning a firearm (no background check is required on the part of the buyer)

-Um.... That's it. No registrations outside of Klark Kounty.

My sales have always gone as follows:

Seller: "Howdy, you got the cash?"
Buyer: "Yup, right here. Is that the gun?"
Seller: "Yup, here ya go. Oh yeah, can I see your driver's license real quick?"
Buyer: "Sure."
Seller: "Ok, have a good day."
Old 04-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
RenoJohn
.357sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
For a private party sale in Nevada:

-Buyer and seller must both be Nevada citizens (typically verified by a Nevada driver's license)

-Buyer must not be prohibited from owning a firearm (no background check is required on the part of the buyer)

-Um.... That's it. No registrations outside of Klark Kounty.
Thanks much, that is what I originally thought, but then reading posts on here and references to "meet at substation" ...I thought something I didn't know about.
Now I see those were Klark Kounty. Sometimes I forget how different things are down there compared to true NV up north here
cheers from reno ...John
RenoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Felid'Maximus
Beware of Cat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Welcome aboard RenoJohn!
Felid'Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
RenoJohn
.357sig

Default Buying private party gun from CA

OK, so......

Looks like i'm going over to CA tomorrow to pick up a P239 ....from a private party. What is involved in this scenerio?? I try to avoid Kawlifornia, but this seem to be too good of a deal to pass up.

Thanks much for the low-down on a private party to private party purchase CA-->NV

..renojohn
Old 04-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
JimBianchi
Daddy

CA requires all handgun purchases to go through an FFL.

You are looking at $50 at least and I think a 10 day wait. (The wait applies to all new purchases, I don't know about private party)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address

Beware the Prophet seeking Profit, Dennis Miller, Conservative Radio Host
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:05 AM   #7
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBianchi View Post
CA requires all handgun purchases to go through an FFL.

You are looking at $50 at least and I think a 10 day wait. (The wait applies to all new purchases, I don't know about private party)

Unless things have changed in Kalifornica in the 4 years since I closed my shop there, private party sales also have to go through a FFL, be DROS (Dealer Record of Sale) and wait the 10 days.
You (Gun seller, private party number 1) take the handgun and the buyer (private party number 2) to a FFL (class 1) holder, you both fill out the appropriate parts of a BATFE form 4473, sign it, somebody gives the FFL holder the $26 fee, he takes the forms, the gun, and the money, tells you he will see you (buyer) in 10 business days.
That really means 10 full 24 hour periods and not a moment sooner. You (FFL holder) can be nailed (by state law) for turning over the gun after only 9 days, 23 hours and 59 minutes no matter that the background check came back as "OK" 5 minutes after the customers left the shop.

So most dealer use the term "10 business days", and tell you that it means 10 weekdays (Mon-Fri) from this moment, which ensures that they don't screw up and give it to your early.
I just kept the shop open 7 days a week, timestamped the documents in front of the customer and told them they could pick it up no sooner than 240 hours from NOW.
Never had a problem with a customer or the BATFE or the State that way.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:43 AM   #8
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

NYECOgunsmith has it right, just want to add the following:

That gun from California needs to go from the California FFL to a Nevada FFL directly. You as the private party buyer CAN NOT transport this pistol across state lines. It's Federal law, I'm too lazy to look it up, but a handgun MUST be received from the citizen's home state.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
icode
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
NYECOgunsmith has it right, just want to add the following:

That gun from California needs to go from the California FFL to a Nevada FFL directly. You as the private party buyer CAN NOT transport this pistol across state lines. It's Federal law, I'm too lazy to look it up, but a handgun MUST be received from the citizen's home state.
But then that gets around the 10 day wait, right? Surely the CA FFL doesn't have to wait 10 days to ship it to a NV FFL.
A democracy will continue until voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. [Then] the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits .... every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship. - Alexander Tytler

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. - John Adams
icode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:18 AM   #10
RenoJohn
.357sig

Huge thanks to all the great responses. What a phucked up mess over there in CA as it applies to guns. I ended up passing on the great deal. Just wasn't worth all the hassle.

...and maybe clean living or karma or just plain luck worked out for me as another deal fell into my lap ...a great deal on wonderul SIG P6 9mm very clean with new springs and clean action. And a nice history as a west german LEO firearm. Just barely enough wear to appreciate the charm that this unique gun has.
...also picked up a mint Sig 239 SAS DAK .40sw with two-tone with hardwood grips ....package deal and a real steal.

So, the Kawlifornia obstacles actually worked to my advantage by buying some time -in which a great opportunity came up.
Thanks Kawlifornia

....more thanks to the good advice here.