Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > General Conversation

Notices

General Conversation The place to discuss topics NOT firearm related. ** Make sure the topic in question does not belong in another section before posting. **

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #81
mbogo
Bwana Mkubwa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Total Wine & Liquor is local (Summerlin and Henderson), and they are quite a bit less expensive than Lee's, at least on what we drink.

mbogo
mbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #82
nemotheangler
Outdoorsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbogo View Post
Total Wine & Liquor is local (Summerlin and Henderson), and they are quite a bit less expensive than Lee's, at least on what we drink.

mbogo
They are a nation wide chain based on the East Coast. Mr. Lee started his empire here in NV. Not that I don't enjoy their great beer selection but I try to keep the money in the valley. Not judging. Thats just me.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #83
mbogo
Bwana Mkubwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemotheangler View Post
They are a nation wide chain based on the East Coast. Mr. Lee started his empire here in NV. Not that I don't enjoy their great beer selection but I try to keep the money in the valley. Not judging. Thats just me.

So you only buy automobiles, appliances, firearms, rifle scopes, and fishing gear, clothing, food, personal care products from 'empire builders' who started here?

No online sales from anyone but Zappo's?

mbogo
mbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 AM   #84
Cujo
3.2L Flat-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophog View Post
At maybe 20 or 25% of wages compared to the civilian job market, it will take him quite a while to recoup the difference lost over a 20 year period. So even though he has good benefits now, it cost a lot in terms of what he could have earned and invested if employed elsewhere.
Tophog,

I don't mean to derail the shopping thread.

Can you provide an example of the wage discrepancy between military members and general society? You're stating that military members only make a quarter of what their civilian counterparts make?

"What he could have earned. . ." Hypothetical?

We can start a new thread. . .It doesn't matter to me but from the sound of it, your buddy had a government job and has Veterans benefits. He also has a government retirement and pulls in close to $200K/yr?

I guess it's good for him that he can get $6 prescriptions, free medical and commissary privileges.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #85
Tophog
Biker Trailer Trash

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

My error. They seem to have caught up a little since the 'whopping wages of yore' when I was in. In the '70s, I could have made a lot more had I not chosen to see the world! Haha.

USN gunner, '76-'80.

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government IS the problem! Ronald Reagan
-
ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)
-

"The proud American will go down into his slavery without a fight, beating his chest, and proclaiming to the world, how free he really is. The world will only snicker."
Stanislav Mishin, Pravda
Tophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #86
Cujo
3.2L Flat-6

Quote:
My error. Haha.
I don't know/care but if it's funny for you and your buddy. . .

Well, this is general conversation after all so I'll respectfully bow out of this one.

For those of you that don't know, Tophog and Cujo are good friends. . .
Old 06-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #87
Mr Pheer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
Tophog,

I don't mean to derail the shopping thread.

Can you provide an example of the wage discrepancy between military members and general society? You're stating that military members only make a quarter of what their civilian counterparts make?

"What he could have earned. . ." Hypothetical?

We can start a new thread. . .It doesn't matter to me but from the sound of it, your buddy had a government job and has Veterans benefits. He also has a government retirement and pulls in close to $200K/yr?

I guess it's good for him that he can get $6 prescriptions, free medical and commissary privileges.
Quote:
My error. They seem to have caught up a little since the 'whopping wages of yore' when I was in. In the '70s, I could have made a lot more had I not chosen to see the world! Haha.
I know when I left the Army in '97, I went from making about $22k a year to over $200k a year using skills that I taught myself out of books that I bought at the local Barnes & Noble. I guess I cheated a little because I started teaching myself about a year before I left the military, but I had to deal with my chain of command and peers laughing and telling me what a fool I was for doing what I was doing. Two years later when the income doubled I was laughing to the bank almost daily.

Now things have slowed down in the past few years, but still at over $200k a year I may not be laughing to the bank on a daily basis, but I still have an unremovable smirk on my face.

I dont regret one minute of my seven years of military service, but I was growing as a man and getting tired of being told what to do by people that I felt where much less competent than me, tired of being told what to wear, what I could say or not say, and tired of the low pay that didnt match the high level of responsibility I had to carry, and tired of feeling that I was being held back, or having a chain around my ankle if you know what I mean. I recognized that it was time for me to move on, so I did.

Btw, those of you buying the inexpensive seafood at the grocery stores, do you check where it comes from? I always do, and I never buy seafood that is 'Product of China'. Not because I have anything against the Chinese people, but because of many reports I have read about the filthy conditions that the seafood is farmed in, the filthy packaging, and the fact that hardly any of it is inspected before hitting the stores, and ultimately, your family's dinner table.

You can read more here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/15/wo...ia/15fish.html

And there are many, many more reports about it... search Google. It's an eye opener.
Mr Pheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:35 AM   #88
odesskiy
Crazy Russian!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Just out of curiosity, what occupation have you taught yourself? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pheer View Post
I know when I left the Army in '97, I went from making about $22k a year to over $200k a year using skills that I taught myself out of books that I bought at the local Barnes & Noble. I guess I cheated a little because I started teaching myself about a year before I left the military, but I had to deal with my chain of command and peers laughing and telling me what a fool I was for doing what I was doing. Two years later when the income doubled I was laughing to the bank almost daily.

Now things have slowed down in the past few years, but still at over $200k a year I may not be laughing to the bank on a daily basis, but I still have an unremovable smirk on my face.

I dont regret one minute of my seven years of military service, but I was growing as a man and getting tired of being told what to do by people that I felt where much less competent than me, tired of being told what to wear, what I could say or not say, and tired of the low pay that didnt match the high level of responsibility I had to carry, and tired of feeling that I was being held back, or having a chain around my ankle if you know what I mean. I recognized that it was time for me to move on, so I did.

Btw, those of you buying the inexpensive seafood at the grocery stores, do you check where it comes from? I always do, and I never buy seafood that is 'Product of China'. Not because I have anything against the Chinese people, but because of many reports I have read about the filthy conditions that the seafood is farmed in, the filthy packaging, and the fact that hardly any of it is inspected before hitting the stores, and ultimately, your family's dinner table.

You can read more here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/15/wo...ia/15fish.html

And there are many, many more reports about it... search Google. It's an eye opener.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #89
Mr Pheer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odesskiy View Post
Just out of curiosity, what occupation have you taught yourself? Thanks.
Software engineer, web design, graphic design (already had an art background), server administration, internet marketing, and a lot more that goes in that field. When my 2nd enlistment in the Army was ending, the internet was starting to gain momentum. I saw an opportunity but nobody was teaching the skills that I needed, at least not near Ft Rucker, Alabama.

So off to the bookstores I went. Whatever books and magazines were teaching the things that I thought I needed to know (or just wanted to know) I stocked up on. And spent all my spare time learning. Back then, you couldnt learn how to do internet things on the internet... it was too new and there were no sites with the information, plus it was constantly changing.
Mr Pheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #90
ElevenBravo
Obsessed Member

probably not going to make any friends saying this, i cannot stand going to walmart for any reason. the one on decatur is tolerable but there is no way in hell i will ever step foot inside the one on craig.

i really like winco, especially since they're open 24 hours. the prices are good and i love the bulk bins. we usually go late at night when barely anyone is there. there is a smith's within walking distance that i only visit for the cheap gas and whatever it is we forgot to get at winco.