Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Reloading

Notices

Reloading Discussions on reloading systems, components, tips, tricks, techniques and more.

User Tag List

Old 04-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #11
totenschadel
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
I'm a big fan of the Lee Factory Crimp Die for pistol reloading. It cut down my rejects five-fold over using the Dillon crimp die.

While good, though, it still doesn't size the head as well as using a bulge-buster die that completely pushes the case though before loading. I use this for .40 cal because of the chances of Glock .40 brass sneaking in.
Good points Mac, the LFCD can be used as a buldge buster by diassembling the die and pushing the cases up through the empty die case head first...I do this to all my 40 by taking a 223 case and shellholder as a ram, place the 40 casing over the 223 and push it up through the die head first, a good vid on the subject... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noBzQ...e_gdata_player
totenschadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
SundevilSG
Minute of Barn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by totenschadel View Post
A really good way to ensure your reloads will always pass a gauge is pretty simple. Buy yourself a Lee factory crimp die and utilize it as the last step in your reloading process. The post sizing ring will catch those casings with slightly bulged heads ( usually from a loose or unsupported chamber) and resize the last few thousands to the head where your sizing die possibly not reaching. I'm not one to push Lee products in any way, but the LFCD is a winner and I gaurentee proper cycling if you decide to try it. A gauge will tell you there is a problem with an out of spec casing, it certainly doesnt fix the problem....
I have used the lee factory crimp since I started reloading. The round in question was reloaded and crimped to factory specs.

I will use the barrel as a case gauge for now.

Thank you all for the replies!
SundevilSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
Pachinko Pistola
Certified by DHS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Probably not the same problem but my 1911 wasn't going into battery because my barrel link was too tight. I filed it down a tiny bit in the tight areas and now it always returns to battery.

My barrel and barrel link are both aftermarket.

"God may have created all men, but Sam Colt made them equal."
Pachinko Pistola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachinko Pistola View Post
I filed it down a tiny bit in the tight areas and now it always returns to battery.

My barrel and barrel link are both aftermarket.

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!! Where are the profanity police when you need them!

Moderators, Admins, give him 30 lashes with a wet kilobyte!!

HE USED THE "F" WORD!!

He "FILED" it down!!!!

We stone down such things, files are for removing GROSS amounts of metal, and leaving behind scratches and gouges that then have to be polished out with stones or other fine media.

Yes, for a barrel link it might take longer to fit the link by stoning than it would with a few licks of a file, but it's also a lot easier to get the right fit with the stone than it is to put back the "Oops, I removed too much metal with that one last pass of the file".

Sorry PP, I know you probably did it with stones and just used the dreaded "F" word by accident, just couldn't resist the chance to yank your chain is all, I apologize!

Guys, a set of stones from Midway USA or Brownell's won't break the bank, and they are very handy, and it's nearly impossible to ruin an expensive part with them, where as, with a file, one stroke can do it.

Old Man Rant Off.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
Pachinko Pistola
Certified by DHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYECOGunsmith View Post
Old Man Rant Off.
You think "file" is bad? I took a dremel to a $200 1911 match barrel to remove a flat part on the feed ramp. Long story short, the barrel is at the dump and I have a new one in the gun.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #16
mad_spaniard
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
You think "file" is bad? I took a dremel to a $200 1911 match barrel to remove a flat part on the feed ramp. Long story short, the barrel is at the dump and I have a new one in the gun.
I knew that someone was going to use the "D" word sooner or later...

Amat Victoria Curam
mad_spaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:44 AM   #17
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
OOPS.
That flat part is supposed to be there!

OK, now that you've used both the "F" and "D" words Mr. Potty Mouth, I want you to go wash out your mouth with a glass full of 21 year old Scotch and never, ever do the above again!

Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #18
daveinvegas
RIP Dave

OH, the humanity! When I read this thread I had an episode. Apoplexy! Heart palpitations! Dizzy spells. Shortness of breath. Chest pain! Where's my nitro?! CALL 911!

THAT DASTARDLY DREADED DREMEL, THAT VILE FOUL FILE! GET THEE TO A GUNSMITHERY!

>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKm5xQyD2vE
http://www.zenosincitycustom.com/index.html

NRA Life Member
daveinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #19
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinvegas View Post
OH, the humanity! When I read this thread I had an episode. Apoplexy! Heart palpitations! Dizzy spells. Shortness of breath. Chest pain! Where's my nitro?! CALL 911!

THAT DASTARDLY DREADED DREMEL, THAT VILE FOUL FILE! GET THEE TO A GUNSMITHERY!

>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKm5xQyD2vE
Verily, thou dost speaketh the true, DaveinVegas! When will this sacrilege and ravishment end?

I propose a 15 day waiting / cooling off period on the purchase of files, Dremel tools, belt sanders, bench grinders, abrasives of any kind, etc. along with a mandatory background check, training in the use of, and a permit required to purchase/ posses.

Ownership would require the signature/signoff of the eldest Gunsmith in the area.

Proper storage of these tools of potential destruction would also be required ( no just tossin them into a drawer or onto a work bench, NAY I say!)

No more innocent barrels must be harmed!

OK, I think we've bludgeoned that member of the Equidae family to a total lack of life.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #20
Pachinko Pistola
Certified by DHS

Let me know if you guys need any gunsmithing work done. I have all the right dremel attachments for the job.