Notices

User Tag List

Old 02-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
WildManPiet
PitMonkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default people failing the cfp qual?

In another thread I read about people failing the qualification for their cfp. Now when I took mine a guy failed but he was a real know it all jerk. By his attitude I figured he was all talk so I was not surprised he couldn't hit a broad side of a barn. I believe the guy was shooting a 38 auto subcompact.

Now I am no crack shot and didn't score perfect, but I found the qualifier to be pretty darn easy. I attempted to simulate getting all the rounds off as quickly as possible and I still easily passed.

So do people actually fail the qualifier? How do they fail? Are they really that bad of a shot?
WildManPiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
titanNV
NRA Life Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

The people that fail at this short distance MUST be taking the course as if it were some sort of basic safety course or the like.
Unfamiliarity with shooting and maybe nerves would be the most common reason to fail, IMO.
titanNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Gunhand
Firearms Instructor

The problem stems from people taking the CCW course, and believeing they are going to get trained on how to use their pistols properly.

The CCW course is set up for the student to learn the law, and the when and where they can legally carry a weapon, and defend themselves with it. The course is not a pistol 101 course.

Many people buy a gun for self protection, and believe by going to the CCW course, they will learn how to use it. Nothing could be farther from the truth. You can't teach a person how to use a firearm to properly defend themselves and the law in an eight hour course. I know some CCW instructors say they can do that, but thats just poor advertising on their part.

I believe the Nevada Sheriff's and Chiefs' Association should mandate a basic firearms training course that must be completed before a student should be able to attend the CCW course. There would be fewer students who would not qualify, and a lot more confident first time gun owners.
Gunhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
calmp9
Very Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildManPiet View Post
In another thread I read about people failing the qualification for their cfp. Now when I took mine a guy failed but he was a real know it all jerk. By his attitude I figured he was all talk so I was not surprised he couldn't hit a broad side of a barn. I believe the guy was shooting a 38 auto subcompact.

Now I am no crack shot and didn't score perfect, but I found the qualifier to be pretty darn easy. I attempted to simulate getting all the rounds off as quickly as possible and I still easily passed.

So do people actually fail the qualifier? How do they fail? Are they really that bad of a shot?
People react differently to testing, no matter what kind it is. I would like to think the instructor would give the student more than one opportunity if he or she happens to fail the first time.
calmp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Joe LeFors
Wyoming Lawdawg, Retired
I've been Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhand View Post
The problem stems from people taking the CCW course, and believeing they are going to get trained on how to use their pistols properly.........

........ I believe the Nevada Sheriff's and Chiefs' Association should mandate a basic firearms training course that must be completed before a student should be able to attend the CCW course. There would be fewer students who would not qualify, and a lot more confident first time gun owners.
Great, just what we need, MORE LAWS, MANDATES and COST coming between us and our rights.
Not to mention helping the bottom line of those teaching said course. As if the roughly $250. isn't enough of a cost already. $165 for your CFP card plus $80 to $125 for the class. Add the cost $$$ of another MANDATED class to that. Good Idea.... NOT

It's good to stir the pot occasionally -JL-

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. -George S. Patton-
Joe LeFors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
SirLasVegas
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe LeFors View Post
Great, just what we need, MORE LAWS, MANDATES and COST coming between us and our rights.
Not to mention helping the bottom line of those teaching said course. As if the roughly $250. isn't enough of a cost already. $165 for your CFP card plus $80 to $125 for the class. Add the cost $$$ of another MANDATED class to that. Good Idea.... NOT
^ What he said Just because someone else is an idiot doesnt mean I should have to take an extra class.
My CCW class was all close family and friends, taught by my best friends cousin. My best friends mom had never been shooting before, but had handled firearms on more than one occasion as all the family are LEO's. Our CCW instructor did take the time with everyone, even me who knew what I was doing, to make sure we handled the firearm safely, basic shooting training and even helped a few improve their shooting before we left the range. My buddies mom got to shoot at least a dozen different hand guns until she found one she was accurate and comfortable with. (shes a glock 19 kinda girl btw lol ) It was a VERY hands on coarse, but at the same time he doesnt let his classes get larger than 10 people. Like I said this class was also friends and family, but he says he does all his courses the same way. I thought it was great that he took the extra time with everyone, even though its not in the curriculum for the CCW course.
SirLasVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
Gunhand
Firearms Instructor

I didn't mean for everyone to have to take the class, ONLY those who may have never handled or fired a weapon before. In other words, first time gun owners.

I tell all my students that even though they have passed the CCW qualification, they still need to keep learning and training. Many feel that because they passed the course, they are ready to defend themselves. Sadly thats just not the case. There is a huge difference between shooting a paper target, and trying to survive an armed encounter with an assailant.

I'm certainly NOT trying to force anyone to come to training. Those who have enough common sense to realize they are not really ready to defend themselves, already come to training.

Certainly if you can't pass the CCW qualification course, you NEED to get some training!
Gunhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
Joe LeFors
Wyoming Lawdawg, Retired
I've been Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhand View Post
I didn't mean for everyone to have to take the class, ONLY those who may have never handled or fired a weapon before. In other words, first time gun owners.

I tell all my students that even though they have passed the CCW qualification, they still need to keep learning and training. Many feel that because they passed the course, they are ready to defend themselves. Sadly thats just not the case. There is a huge difference between shooting a paper target, and trying to survive an armed encounter with an assailant.

I'm certainly NOT trying to force anyone to come to training. Those who have enough common sense to realize they are not really ready to defend themselves, already come to training.

Certainly if you can't pass the CCW qualification course, you NEED to get some training!
I still don't agree with you. Why should we have to take a class, just because someone is a first time gun owner. Let's see if I have this correct. Not only the 72 hour waiting period add to that a firearm handling class plus the cost of that class. Sorry that seem like just another roadblock between the haves and the have nots. We sure don't need more rules and roadblocks between ANY legal citizen and our 2A rights to own a firearm.
I am old, maybe I'm just confused about what you are trying to say.
Your first post stated
"I believe the Nevada Sheriff's and Chiefs' Association should mandate a basic firearms training course that must be completed before a student should be able to attend the CCW course."
Then you came back and stated.
"I'm certainly NOT trying to force anyone to come to training."

It's good to stir the pot occasionally -JL-

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. -George S. Patton-
Joe LeFors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
tdw63
Kahr Driver

I don't have a CCW permit, but would like to know what is the distance to the target. I have heard that you shoot at more than one distance.
tdw63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Gullwing
Is right behind you

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw63 View Post
I don't have a CCW permit, but would like to know what is the distance to the target. I have heard that you shoot at more than one distance.
3, 5, and 7 yards!!! You know how small the target is at 7 yards? It is well, not very small.