Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > How To's

Notices

How To's Tips, Tutorials, How-To's and more. Post 'em here!

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #241
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iweb View Post
CQ, CQ, CQ, this old fart plans on being there Sat. to take a test.
Congrats on getting your Tech License!

Now start studying and taking the practice tests for your General Class, next exam here in Pahrump is on the second Saturday in September, 8 September 2012 to be exact. Same bat time, same bat channel.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #242
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serbear4u View Post
Oh snap! You said the magic word: donut!
I'll definitely be there for that class, now!
Congrats on getting your Tech Class License, now start studying for your General!

Here's a URL that will show you when and where you can take the exams in Reno and Carson City during 2012.

http://tahoeamateurradio.com/ve_exams.htm

Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #243
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pheer View Post
I'll probably be there. Didnt get much time to study this week, but my son goes to New York tomorrow and I was more interested spending time with him before he goes.

I guess after the test next week I'll stop by a fireworks store and start stocking up for New Year's Eve.
Didn't get one gent's NVshooters handle, but first name was Mike, had his Mrs. with him, he sat in the front row, was that you?

If so, congrats on earning your Tech Class license, and start studying now for your General!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #244
irishmike
uber n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYECOGunsmith View Post
Didn't get one gent's NVshooters handle, but first name was Mike, has his Mrs. with him, he sat in the front row, was that you?

If so, congrats on earning your Tech Class license, and start studying now for your General!
That was me Steve, Thanks, and it good to meet you and iweb.
irishmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #245
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmike View Post
That was me Steve, Thanks, and it good to meet you and iweb.
Got it, Mike!

Nice to meet you and the lady as well. Enjoy your new license, check the FCC ULS system web page starting along about Tuesday night, sometime between there and Friday or so, you should be able to search on your name and find your call sign.

Here's a link to the site

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...rchLicense.jsp

Change where it says: "By Call Sign" by using the drop down arrow next to those words to change it to read "By Name" then put your name, last name first, followed by a comma, then your first name, followed by a space, then your middle initial, just as you wrote them on the beige form we had you fill out.

Hit enter and it will search for your information. If it doesn't find it, wait 24 hours or so and try again.

Holler if you have questions about anything in the General Class question pool.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #246
iweb
***** SPONSOR BANNER

Pleasure to have met irishmike, Four Wheeler, and NYECOGunsmith! Boy was I wrong in who I thought NYECOGunsmith was, glad you had on a name tag.

Cool to see the dozen or so ham's that were giving the test show up and support the day!

Now to start the study for General and learn how to actually use a ham radio, cuz so far all I know is CQ CQ CQ.
iweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:16 AM   #247
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

CONGRATULATIONS to IRISHMIKE, IWEB and SERBEAR4U who all received their Tech Class Amateur radio call signs today!

They passed their exam last Saturday (7-14-12) and the FCC granted their licenses today and issued them Call Signs.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:11 AM   #248
4wheeler4
sinks tin cans

Great job to all!!!!
4wheeler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:22 AM   #249
bplv
uber Member

I've been waiting on the Wouxun Mobile to come out before I bought a mobile. Now it looks like it is going to come out but without the HF receive, airband receive and at a higher price than previously expected. A lot of people seem to think it would be better to spend 30-40% more for a radio from one of the "big 3."

I like that the Wouxun and some of the other Chinese mobiles that are coming out are (or will be) part 90 certified and and have the narrowband steps. Most of the commercial mobiles seem to not be field programmable and the amateur mobiles from the big 3 aren't part 90 certified or have narrowband steps. The ones that aren't part 90 certified all seem to be restricted to the HAM bands unless you start removing parts.

Considering that my primary purpose is off road emergency use, I'd really like to be able to transmit on as many frequencies as possible.... just in case. The radios that rugged radios and pci radios sell to off road racers all seem to transmit in the business bands and I'm pretty sure they are used illegally by lots of off roaders.

So, am I crazy to want to go with a part 90 certified radio from someone that isn't in the "big 3" or is there a mobile radio from the big 3 that can transmit out of band without removing parts? I've been happy with the Wouxun HT that I picked up and even though I only transmit on the amateur bands, it is nice to know I could use other frequencies in an emergency. I also like that they give the programming software away for free. (even though it isn't great, it does work.)
bplv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #250
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplv View Post
I've been waiting on the Wouxun Mobile to come out before I bought a mobile. Now it looks like it is going to come out but without the HF receive, airband receive and at a higher price than previously expected. A lot of people seem to think it would be better to spend 30-40% more for a radio from one of the "big 3."

I like that the Wouxun and some of the other Chinese mobiles that are coming out are (or will be) part 90 certified and and have the narrowband steps. Most of the commercial mobiles seem to not be field programmable and the amateur mobiles from the big 3 aren't part 90 certified or have narrowband steps. The ones that aren't part 90 certified all seem to be restricted to the HAM bands unless you start removing parts.

Considering that my primary purpose is off road emergency use, I'd really like to be able to transmit on as many frequencies as possible.... just in case. The radios that rugged radios and pci radios sell to off road racers all seem to transmit in the business bands and I'm pretty sure they are used illegally by lots of off roaders.

So, am I crazy to want to go with a part 90 certified radio from someone that isn't in the "big 3" or is there a mobile radio from the big 3 that can transmit out of band without removing parts? I've been happy with the Wouxun HT that I picked up and even though I only transmit on the amateur bands, it is nice to know I could use other frequencies in an emergency. I also like that they give the programming software away for free. (even though it isn't great, it does work.)
Pretty much if you want one of the Alinco, Kenwood, Icom or Yaesu rigs to transmit out of band, you have to mod it, although it's pretty simple to do in some of them.

Jumper a pair of points or two, or remove a particular diode or resister. In some cases, you just have to jumper a point, power it on while pressing certain buttons, and then change a menu value.

In all the cases, it's pretty easy to do and to put the rig back to its original configuration.

Being able to go out of the band is, in my personal opinion, highly over rated if done purely for the possibility that you might need it in an emergency.

Any distance you can span via radio in the Business bands you can generally reach further with a Ham band, and there is always someone listening on the HAM bands.

Of course there is always the possibility that you could make contact faster with an over flying plane, but since they don't generally have a radio set to scan, neither does law enforcement, so you have to be on a frequency that they are listening to at the time.

HAMS tend to scan the bands a lot, so the chances of being heard there are greater I feel.

Also, you have to be very careful once a rig is "opened up" transmit wise, that you never do transmit out of the HAM frequencies that your license class allows, except of course in an actual emergency. It's easy to do accidentally and lose your license and / or pay a large fine.

Just my .02 worth, your results may vary.