Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Rimfire

Notices

Rimfire All things .22 rimfire related

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Bulleteater
Big Stick policy
 
Bulleteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Cleaning Marlin 781

Full disclosure: this is my first bolt action, first rimfire, first scoped rifle. Lots of firsts for one gun.

Sorry for the giant pic but I want ya'll to see what I'm dealing with here. I need suggestions on how to clean the bore.

So, here's the bolt removed, and this is what I get ...



Notice the chamber and the ejector/feed ramp with all those jagged edges. There's even a hook on the upper lip of the barrel breech. This makes it a PITA to clean. The sharp edges will shred a bore snake. The position of the feed ramp blocks a cleaning rod from sliding through. The only easy option is to clean from the muzzle to breech which, as I've been taught, is a Cardinal Sin.

Would a guide rod solve the problem? But won't the guide rod make a standard cleaning rod too short to reach the muzzle?

BTW, this Marlin used to belong to Christina "The Gun Nutt." I wonder how she cleaned it.
__________________
You have no say in your government...you just get to be governed.
- John Kubiak, to the Guamanians
Bulleteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member
 
NYECOGunsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Over the Hump in Pahrump, NV
Posts: 4,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Ahh, slept through the Marlin 781 class you did, my young apprentice, when Yoda was teaching this!

Oh, wait a minute, Yoda has yet to schedule the Marlin 781 class, long long ago in a galaxy far, far away, my bad.

OK, in a nutshell:

What you can do is depress the carrier/cartridge lifter with a finger while you drop the bore snake down the barrel and then continue to depress the carrier/cartridge lifter with a finger while you pull the bore snake through (easier to do if the rifle is clamped in a vise or cleaning stand at the time), or you can drop a cleaning rod down from the muzzle, depress the carrier / cartridge lifter with a finger, insert a patch through the loop on the cleaning rod, put some bore cleaner on it, then pull it out from the muzzle.
Again, easier to do if it's clamped in a vise.

Lastly you could have a buddy with a lathe make you a bore guide that replaces the bolt and holds down the carrier / cartridge lifter so that you can run a bore snake or a cleaning rod through from the very end of the breech to the muzzle as you should.

Any questions? You know where to find me. Unless I am somewhere else, or just plain not here that is.
__________________
Steve


Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
Bulleteater
Big Stick policy
 
Bulleteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYECOGunsmith View Post
Ahh, slept through the Marlin 781 class you did, my young apprentice, when Yoda was teaching this!

Oh, wait a minute, Yoda has yet to schedule the Marlin 781 class, long long ago in a galaxy far, far away, my bad.

OK, in a nutshell:

What you can do is depress the carrier/cartridge lifter with a finger while you drop the bore snake down the barrel and then continue to depress the carrier/cartridge lifter with a finger while you pull the bore snake through (easier to do if the rifle is clamped in a vise or cleaning stand at the time), or you can drop a cleaning rod down from the muzzle, depress the carrier / cartridge lifter with a finger, insert a patch through the loop on the cleaning rod, put some bore cleaner on it, then pull it out from the muzzle.
Again, easier to do if it's clamped in a vise.

Lastly you could have a buddy with a lathe make you a bore guide that replaces the bolt and holds down the carrier / cartridge lifter so that you can run a bore snake or a cleaning rod through from the very end of the breech to the muzzle as you should.

Any questions? You know where to find me. Unless I am somewhere else, or just plain not here that is.
And what of the jagged hook - 12 o'clock of the barrel lip - Master Yoda??? Shred a boresnake it will.

Sell they do, the .22 cal. boresnake (also good for 223 and 5.56 it is), at super Walmart. Or must there be a .22LR boresnake, specific it is???

EDIT: In all fairness, very aged (though wise!!!) Master is, and in need of Jedi spectacles. Sitting on a Tipton Gun Vise, the Marlin is. Notice the plastic base and knobs, do you not???
__________________
You have no say in your government...you just get to be governed.
- John Kubiak, to the Guamanians
Bulleteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member
 
NYECOGunsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Over the Hump in Pahrump, NV
Posts: 4,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleteater View Post
And what of the jagged hook - 12 o'clock of the barrel lip - Master Yoda??? Shred a boresnake it will.

Sell they do, the .22 cal. boresnake (also good for 223 and 5.56 it is), at super Walmart. Or must there be a .22LR boresnake, specific it is???

EDIT: In all fairness, very aged (though wise!!!) Master is, and in need of Jedi spectacles. Sitting on a Tipton Gun Vise, the Marlin is. Notice the plastic base and knobs, do you not???
Saw the gun vise I did, for the rabble who might not think of using one, the comments were.

'Cuz you and I both know out there somewhere in the internet ether some joker would try to follow my directions while holding the gun in one hand. Geo or Top would do something like that just so they could holler on me for not including the instructions about using the vise........

As for that hook, just use the tip of the finger that is holding down the carrier/lifter to depress the bore snake down too, so that it flows under the hook.

Or use the solid cleaning rod and put the patch on it as described.

Or bring it over here someday and we'll make you a bore guide for it out of some aluminum round stock.

Shouldn't be too difficult, just have to duplicate the outside diameter of the bolt, drill it out for the cleaning rod and patch, and mill a small notch in it to surround the hook.

And yes, Wally World (at least the one here in P-Town) carries .22 LR bore snakes, could be used for a .223/5.56 barrel too, although the specific boresnake for those calibers is different, it has a larger diameter to clean the chamber area better, since the chamber area is a good deal larger on the centerfire cartridges than it is on the .22 LR. The WW here also carries the centerfire snakes as well.
__________________
Steve


Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
Bulleteater
Big Stick policy
 
Bulleteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYECOGunsmith View Post
Saw the gun vise I did, for the rabble who might not think of using one, the comments were.

'Cuz you and I both know out there somewhere in the internet ether some joker would try to follow my directions while holding the gun in one hand. Geo or Top would do something like that just so they could holler on me for not including the instructions about using the vise........

As for that hook, just use the tip of the finger that is holding down the carrier/lifter to depress the bore snake down too, so that it flows under the hook.

Or use the solid cleaning rod and put the patch on it as described.

Or bring it over here someday and we'll make you a bore guide for it out of some aluminum round stock.

Shouldn't be too difficult, just have to duplicate the outside diameter of the bolt, drill it out for the cleaning rod and patch, and mill a small notch in it to surround the hook.

And yes, Wally World (at least the one here in P-Town) carries .22 LR bore snakes, could be used for a .223/5.56 barrel too, although the specific boresnake for those calibers is different, it has a larger diameter to clean the chamber area better, since the chamber area is a good deal larger on the centerfire cartridges than it is on the .22 LR. The WW here also carries the centerfire snakes as well.
Thanks. Search for Rimfire snake, I must!

I noticed the carrier stays down if I keep the bolt in. Obviously if using a cleaning rod, the bolt needs to come out. But no reason why I need to remove the bolt if I use a boresnake, right? Just open the action enough to slide the snake through and, as you said, guide it away from that hook.

The vice DOES help a lot. Good investment I made there, yes sir.

Well, that should make cleaning, a little easier - hopefully.
__________________
You have no say in your government...you just get to be governed.
- John Kubiak, to the Guamanians
Bulleteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
Bulleteater
Big Stick policy
 
Bulleteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

BTT, in case mods want to move this thread to the Rimfire section. I still hate cleaning this gun, and that colors my decision on whether to bring it to the range. Pity, cuz it's a shooter.
__________________
You have no say in your government...you just get to be governed.
- John Kubiak, to the Guamanians
Bulleteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:32 AM.




2nd Amendment Gun Shop CrossBreed Holsters
New Frontier Armory Fight Focused Concepts
Battle Born Nevada Bracelet
Wild West Guns
Ammo Supply Warehouse Stockpile Defense
Guns and Ammo Garage Netgirl Enterprises
Valkyrie Combat The Peacemakers Firearms
Bite the Bullet The Range 702


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.