Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > How To's

Notices

How To's Tips, Tutorials, How-To's and more. Post 'em here!

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
Nevadagirl
Learning

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Black powder

I need some input on what is a good book to get for shooting black powder percussion pistols. One that will explain how to load, shoot. Basically a beginners black powder and loading book for dummy's
Nevadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
Dave R
PVGC What?

One of the best authorities on this subject is Mike Venturino. His book, Shooting Colt Single Actions has been out of print for a few years and while a second edition is coming, there's no release date yet.

It is still available but its pricey.

http://www.amazon.com/Shooting-Singl...1631849&sr=8-1
Old 07-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
treadhead1952

Lyman's Black Powder Pistol Book is a good one to get the basics out of. Their Black Powder Handbook pretty much covers all the firearms and all the basics. If you can't find one perhaps you can find the other.

USMC RULES !
treadhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
flashpan

One of the best reference books for any blackpowder shooting info is a Dixie Gun Works Catalog. they are cheap and readily availible. the last 50 pages have ballistics loads and all kinds of interesting information. also they list recomended loads for modern cap and ball pistols/rifles.
you can order a catalog from their website i have one thats 5 yrs old and i still look in it every once and a while. it was $5 and its the size of a large phone book.

hope this helps
flashpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
daveinvegas
RIP Dave

and look here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238769

Basics of shooting with black powder (this does not cover shooting cartridge revolvers with black powder):

First, obtain a C&B firearm. I have revolvers as opposed to single shot pistols.

Next, build a loading stand as pictured above (or buy this one from me )

In addition to the firearm, you will need the following items:
Round lead balls, available from Speer or Hornady (or you can cast your own)
Black powder (fffg; I use Goex) or a black powder substitute (Pyrodex or 777)
Percussion caps (size appropriate for your firearm)
Some sort of powder measure (do not use a regular smokeless powder measure)

My revolvers use .45 cal round lead balls, 30g Goex fffg black powder and #10 or 11 CCI percussion caps.

I prefer real black powder but I do use black powder substitutes. Substitute powders are easier to clean and are not corrosive (or as corrosive). If you use real black powder, clean your firearm ASAP or corrosion will occur. Although it is not as critical, you should clean your firearm as soon as possible even with substitute powders.

All my BP revolvers are stainless steel so I clean them thoroughly with dish soap and water (remove the grips). I use rags, compressed air and a heat gun to completely dry the revolver. Apply lubricant after cleaning.

Loading:
If you use a loading stand (optional) cock the hammer to the half cock position so the cylinder will rotate. If you don't use a loading stand load one chamber at a time with powder and place and ram a ball into the chamber.

I use a powder flask to charge the cylinder. Fill each chamber with powder (only load five if you plan to carry the revolver in a holster for any length of time).

Rotate the cylinder so that a chamber is directly under the loading lever; place a ball on the chamber mouth; using the loading lever, ram the ball into the chamber. Ram the ball so that it is a close to the powder as possible; it isn't necessary to compress the powder. The round ball will be or should be over-size. When you ram the ball you should see a thin ring of lead cut from the ball. I try to place the ball so that the location the sprue was cut is up or down, not to the side.

Apply Crisco over each ball.

Apply percussion caps to the nipples. Make sure the cap is pressed (gently) completely onto the nipple.

GENTLY lower the hammer. My revolvers allow me to lower the hammer into a notch between the nipples.

Cock, aim, shoot, enjoy. When smoke clears, repeat.

To be continued . . .
http://www.zenosincitycustom.com/index.html

NRA Life Member
daveinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
rat907
Another Clown With Guns™

BP?, thats a good alternative in post apocolyptic times. I too have thought of a BP firearm or two, just in case, a flint lock type to be exact.

Powder can be home-made, flint or equivelant can be aquired and in a pinch, almost anything solid can be stuffed in the barrel as a projectile. In that case, accuracy will be horrendous, but you won't be defenseless.

Good food for thought Nevadagirl.

"When you reject the truth, all you have left is a lie" - John Haggee

Keep your barrel clean, powder dry and your balls close at hand

*There isn't a place called Black Mesa, NV. It's a fictitious Government research facility in a 1998 PC video game released by Sierra Studios named Half-Life. In which this facility closely resembles the aura of covert experimentation that surrounds the Nevada Testsite and the hero loosely based on Bob Lazar.
rat907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Mooman76
Obsessed Member

They also make a device that makes your own caps out of aluminum cans and the toy paper caps but they don't work well with BP substitutes. It's called a tap-o-cap.
Mooman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
treadhead1952

Gee Dave, you forgot to mention conical bullets which can be purchased or cast up. They open up a whole new realm of accuracy as well as powerful impact. That purty Ruger of yours would be a real beastie with a load of conicals in the cylinder.

USMC RULES !
treadhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:47 AM   #9
daveinvegas
RIP Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadhead1952 View Post
Gee Dave, you forgot to mention conical bullets which can be purchased or cast up. They open up a whole new realm of accuracy as well as powerful impact. That purty Ruger of yours would be a real beastie with a load of conicals in the cylinder.
Right, Then there are also cartridge conversion cylinders available for BP revolvers. And you can always load BP cartridges.

When you go to the range with BP everyone stops shooting to come see what kind of cannon you're shooting.

And I have three purty Rugers.
http://www.zenosincitycustom.com/index.html

NRA Life Member
daveinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
cavdad45
Extreme Capitalist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Consider a mentor instead of a book. I have a buddy in a Civil War reenactment group who is going to teach me. Some times doing is easier than reading and trying to figure it out. Even attending a Civil War or Mountain Man reenactment, you can get instruction just by talking to the participants.

Just a thought
cavdad45 is offline   Reply With Quote