Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Gunsmithing & Gun Care

Notices

Gunsmithing & Gun Care The place to talk gunsmithing, gun care and maintenance. Share your tricks, tips, and info. Feel free to share or ask for help.

User Tag List

Old 07-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
MrTuna
Sig Connoisseur

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default Glock Gen 4 trigger job?

I know many people do their own trigger job on their Glocks. Someone told me trigger jobs on Gen 4 Glocks don't work out too well. Anyone try it?

Get some grease!
MrTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuna View Post
I know many people do their own trigger job on their Glocks. Someone told me trigger jobs on Gen 4 Glocks don't work out too well. Anyone try it?
HERESY! BLASPHEMER! To even hint that a stock, out of the box Glock is not perfect in every way possible, Chad, we will have to boil you in oil for this!!

Oh, wait, I'm on the 1911 side of the house, yah, the combat tupperware can stand some improvements in the trigger area.

Sell it and buy a 1911 is the quickest fix.

Beyond that, put one of the aftermarket 3.5 # trigger connectors in it, polish the sliding surfaces, and it should be as good as it can be. You can also try various combinations of the various springs inside the darn thing.

I believe the only real differences between the Gen 3 and 4 are the finish texture, slide serrations, interchangeable backstrap, and maybe some difference in the light rail, but I don't recall reading of any differences internally that would prevent the standard tactics that be used on a Gen 3 from working on the Gen 4.

On any of them, you have to find the right combination of parts. It takes some thought, some research, and some parts juggling to find the right combinations however.

Mixing and matching light power striker springs with a stronger than stock trigger spring will give you a trigger reset that is generally atrocious, and not always entirely reliable.

And I wouldn't go with any trigger connector lighter than the 3.5 pounder, even though you can find them in 1#, 2# and 3# ranges, these are for "Race guns" and not suitable for carry in my opinion, and not totally reliable unless other parts are matched with them.

Just my .02 worth, your results will probably differ, good luck!

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
MrTuna
Sig Connoisseur

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I just bought a 1911 this week so my Karma is balanced out
Geo once upon a time offered to help me do a Glock trigger job. His feel nice and he can detail strip a Glock in under a minute. Oh yeah, I just remembered he got a job. So much for that idea.

The Glock 19 is going to be my boat/camping/bug out gun. I might even use it to get the mud off my boots

Get some grease!
MrTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuna View Post
I just bought a 1911 this week so my Karma is balanced out
Geo once upon a time offered to help me do a Glock trigger job. His feel nice and he can detail strip a Glock in under a minute. Oh yeah, I just remembered he got a job. So much for that idea.

The Glock 19 is going to be my boat/camping/bug out gun. I might even use it to get the mud off my boots
NOW you're talking! Welcome over to the light side of the force!
Geo would probably still do the Glock job for you, he's only working M-W as far as I know. That leaves him Thursday through Sunday here in Pahrump to work on fun stuff.

I try to avoid working on those things when ever possible, I'm allergic to plastic!

Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
odesskiy
Crazy Russian!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYECOGunsmith View Post
I believe the only real differences between the Gen 3 and 4 are the finish texture, slide serrations, interchangeable backstrap, and maybe some difference in the light rail, but I don't recall reading of any differences internally that would prevent the standard tactics that be used on a Gen 3 from working on the Gen 4.
Holy crap! The infalliable NYECOGunsmith is a bit mistaken! Full-size and compact Gen 4 Glocks actually sport a new dual recoil spring design similar to the one previously utilized on "baby" Glocks (26, 27, 33). I'm in the camp of those that said "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" as Glock had to go through god knows how many iterations on those new recoil springs to get it right with the 9mm models. Initially there were way too many reports of malfunctions as the "one-size-fits-all" recoil spring assembly seemed to be too stiff for the pea-shooting 9 mills

I belive you may be thinking of the RTF iteration of Glocks (rough texture). Those really were identical internally to the rest of the Gen 3 Glocks and varied only in the frame texture and the short-lived ugly atrocious "fish gills".

Of course, this has nothing to do with the topic, as the trigger mechanism is the same and can benefit greatly from the $0.25 trigger job.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:32 AM   #6
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odesskiy View Post
Holy crap! The infalliable NYECOGunsmith is a bit mistaken! Full-size and compact Gen 4 Glocks actually sport a new dual recoil spring design similar to the one previously utilized on "baby" Glocks (26, 27, 33). I'm in the camp of those that said "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" as Glock had to go through god knows how many iterations on those new recoil springs to get it right with the 9mm models. Initially there were way too many reports of malfunctions as the "one-size-fits-all" recoil spring assembly seemed to be too stiff for the pea-shooting 9 mills

I belive you may be thinking of the RTF iteration of Glocks (rough texture). Those really were identical internally to the rest of the Gen 3 Glocks and varied only in the frame texture and the short-lived ugly atrocious "fish gills".

Of course, this has nothing to do with the topic, as the trigger mechanism is the same and can benefit greatly from the $0.25 trigger job.
Thanks for educating me!

I've only fondled a couple of the Gen4's, and not really taken them apart to do a detailed observation of the internals, as I used to do every time some maker came out with a new "Mark" "Model-DASH" or "Generation" when I had to work on them for $$.

So all I really know about the Gen 4 internals I learned from reading the American Gunsmith's Guild white papers on them. And those would seem to indicate that the internals, trigger mech wise are the same. But the recoil spring wasn't mentioned that I recall.
Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow!