Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Hand Guns

Notices

Hand Guns Semi-autos, revolvers...post it here.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
warrenb
uber n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Las Vegas Gun Club/Floyd Lamb

Is the range still open near Floyd Lamb? I live very close to CCSP but I wanna shoot tomorrow and the range is closed was wondering if anyone had any links schedules or info on the range next to Floyd Lamb? Is it still open? Do I need a sponsor what kind of facilities do they have I have only found limited info on the facility any one that frequents there please let me know whats up.

Thanks
warrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
warrenb
uber n00b

oh crap guess it's closed that sucks. Politics I guess the almighty money in the housing boom I suspect?
warrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
bplv
uber Member

Closed after the City took over the park and the CCSP opened.
bplv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
SundevilSG
Minute of Barn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplv View Post
Closed after the City took over the park and the CCSP opened.
Good riddance.

I know a lot of people liked the place but I was shown nothing but disrespect. I was admittedly ignorant (though always safe), and asked numerous questions. When I asked the pro shop manager about the rules of the game and was told to "just watch and figure it out" before an old curmudgeon asked me if I was going to shoot that "old garage sale pump" (my beat to hell and back 870). I laughed and he just gave me a dirty look . I really got the impression that you had to be in their little group to be taken seriously and newcommers (especially young people) were NOT welcome.

The fields were poorly maintained, the throwers were in bad shape, the call boxes only worked about half of the time... Meh. My experience really turned me off to the sport. Thankfully, I later made some good friends at Ben Avery in AZ and later at CCSP that brought me back to it.

Its quite a drive, but you may want to check out the Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club out in Boulder City. When I was there on Saturday I noticed they had some trap fields on the courtesy range.
SundevilSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
WoofersInc
Land Shark

When I first moved in close to the club I had the same situation as the above poster. I went there one day to find out info. I was treated like crap. Nobody wanted to answer any questions. I was given the impression that I was not wanted there so I never went back.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
vegasplinker
I don't dial 911

Yep, That was how it went there. I only went there for corperate challenge events. The same was true about Las Vegas Muni Golf coarse. Those old guys out there would try to rough you up.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Bulleteater
Big Stick policy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I shot some clays there once and was treated okay. Maybe cuz I was with NyeCoGunsmith.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
Guido
New Frontier Armory

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

It was a great club once you got to know people up there. It was the last of the old school "gun CLUBS" around here where you can go up, hang out with like minded people, food, a bar, functions, leagues, etc.

Mr. Carmichael who owned that is now the manager of the CCSP (the reason behind the reason he was basically ran out of that location) so maybe he'll bring some of that atmosphere to CCSP.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleteater View Post
I shot some clays there once and was treated okay. Maybe cuz I was with NyeCoGunsmith.
Greg, you were probably OK IN SPITE OF THE FACT that you were with me.
Had those old curmudgeons realized you were shooting with me, you might not have made it out of there in one piece.

The old codgers/trap shooters who hung around the clubhouse could be (and frequently were) a pack of "south bound ends of north bound mules" if they didn't know you (and sometimes even if they did), or approve of you, or approve of the gun you were using, and if you didn't want to shoot trap, about the only game most of them would shoot. Because they couldn't shoot skeet or sporting clays worth a darn.

I've known Steve Carmichael for decades, he's a good guy, and always willing to help out a newbie, he was that way at the Las Vegas Gun Club too, but not all of his employees were. Some over the last 6 years or so were sour apples.

When I first showed up there a bit over 6 years ago, after moving here, I looked Steve up right away. He warned me that the old timers out "on the porch" could be brutal.

So to "break the ice" I dragged out an old Winchester Model 97 I have that looks like it has been beaten to death with a sledge hammer. Stood it in the rack out front, listened to all the hoots and jeers about my gun, and then asked if any of them would teach me to shoot trap, or "whatever that game is where the little frisbee's come out of those green concrete houses out there"
Finally got a couple of them off the couch, but it took money, they wanted to shoot for a $1 a missed bird right off the bat with the "newbie".

4 rounds of trap later, I had their money, and told them I wasn't going to shoot any more trap that day, it was a "sissy's game" and that real men shot skeet and sporting clays. That got their attention. That and the fact I went straight for 100 at the 27 yard line with that old Full choked Model 97, and took their money doing it.

They went in and grumbled to Steve about it, he told them to put a cork in it, that they had it coming and were costing him business by running new folks off.

Took a year or more for them to accept me, and I don't think they ever did stop harassing folks, dunno why Steve let them hang around, will have to ask him some day.

Now the skeet shooters and sporting clays shooters out there were a different bunch entirely. Friendly right from the get go, helpful if you were a newbie, etc.

Guess that monotonous game of Trap just does that to some folks!

But still, I'm sorry for the grief any of you experienced out there while it was still open. I spent 5 days a week out there for nearly 5 years before they closed, enjoying my retirement to the max, but I don't think I shot more than 20 rounds of trap there in all that time. The skeet fields and the sporting clays fields got most of my time (and money!).

And I sure hope it wasn't me that put anyone down, but I kind of doubt it was, not my style.

Steve knew 5 years ago his time was drawing to an end out there, so he stopped putting money into new traps, field maintenance, etc. pretty early on because the county kept telling him about every 6 months that he only had another 6 months or so before they canceled his lease and he had to be gone.
They kept him on a string like that for 5 years until finally it came true.
Still I miss the place, you could throw your own birds, load the traps when the ran out, and it was a good deal easier to teach a class on skeet, trap or clays because of that.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
SundevilSG
Minute of Barn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Yup.. that sounds about right about the guys on the porch. I first tried to ask them a few (stupid) questions and just got the cold shoulder. I guess it only ticked me off so much because I had always heard about "all of the great people who are happy to help a newbie" in the the shotgun sports and found exactly the opposite.

I wish I would have started with skeet, NYECO, for that very reason. They definitely seem to be wound quite a bit looser than the trap shooters.

Now I always look around for new faces and if they seem freaked out, I try to show them the ropes or introduce them to one of the friendlier SO's. I've noticed that many of those same people come back again
SundevilSG is offline   Reply With Quote