Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Hand Guns

Notices

Hand Guns Semi-autos, revolvers...post it here.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Das Capitolin
Target and Tactical

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hi-Point JCP 40SW-B (34010) Handgun Review

In the world of semi-auto handguns, a weapons' price tag doesn't always calculate the guns value. Iberia Firearms is a company that embodies this belief, and offers consumers their Hi-Point Firearms brand of weapons for personal security and target shooting. In this review I focus on the Hi-Point model JCP 40SW-B (SKU 34010) semi-auto handgun. This firearm was purchased online for $138 + $8 shipping to my local FFL dealer, who then charged me $35 for transfer fee and Nevada sales tax.

Hi-Point JCP Specifications
Barrel length: 4.5"
Overall length: 7.75"
Weight: 35 oz.
Frame: High-impact polymer
Finish: Black powder coat
Capacity: 10-shot magazine standard
Sights: 3-dots, fully-adjustable rear sight

40SW-B handguns features
Last round lock open
Quick on-off thumb safety
Free extra rear peep sight (Ghost sight)
Free trigger lock
Lifetime warranty
100% American-made, parts and assembly

First Impression:
When you buy a gun online, there's always a bit of uncertainty that follows. If you've never handled the weapon in person, all of the photos and reviews in the world (wide web) won't help ease anxiety. When that weapon sells for an absurdly low price, it's tough to decide if you've stumbled upon a solid deal or you've just bought junk. So when the Hi-Point JCP 40SW-B handgun arrived, I couldn't wait to open the box and inspect the weapon for myself.

For reference, my previous experience with .40 semi-auto handguns includes a Beretta Model 96, Glock Model 23, Sig P229, and Smith & Wesson Model 4006. With regards to overall size, the Hi-Point 40SW-B is a beast in comparison. It's not that this gun has a longer barrel, because at 4.5" it's really not enough to make women blush. It's the upper body of this firearm that stands out, which features a thick cast metal design rather than forged. Clearly, this is how Iberia Firearms has managed to make the Hi-Point 40SW-B a profitable item. The heavy upper receives with a black powder coat finish and adjustable sights.

The lower frame is made of polymer, and colored black. It seems to me that Iberia designed the handgrips to feel as thick and the bulky slide, and shooters with small hands may not like handling this weapon. There is only one safety mechanism present: a selectable thumb lever, which also doubles as the slide stop (as opposed to release).

Handling the Hi-Point 40SW-B:
For under $140, you're getting what you pay for out of the Hi-Point 40SW-B. My feeling is that every semi-auto handgun should have a slide release, but the Hi-Point 40SW-B simplifies operation with a "last round lock open" mechanism that seems to replace it in functionality. For self-defense and rare blue-moon shooters this won't become much of an issue, but for anyone that visits the range often it will become a hassle.

The trigger is this guns weak spot, and like the cast metal upper it too is heavy. Trigger pull was not measured for this review, simply because I lack the proper tools. In my estimation, it feels like trigger pull on the Hi-Point 40SW-B is heavier than all of the other weapons I've mentioned, and could possibly measure 9 LBS or more.

Firing the Hi-Point JCP 40SW-B:
If the thick metal slide and large poly lower have concerned you, it will seem redeeming that the 40SW-B is fun to shoot. By this, I mean that it's both (very) accurate and has very little kick with each round fired. Aside from trigger pull, which you might forget about after the first few squeezes, the Hi-Point JCP 40SW-B felt better to shoot that my Glock 23. Surprisingly, it seemed easier to fire precision shots, too.

Hi-Point JCP 40SW-B Conclusion:
If you're looking for a solid firearm for personal protection on a budget, the Hi-Point 40SW-B is an excellent choice. Of course, budget is a relative term, and what constitutes inexpensive may vary from shooter to shooter. I purchased the Hi-Point 40SW-B so that friends and family could enjoy shooting with me at the range, but I would just as easily keep this nearby for personal home protection. This isn't a pretty show gun, but it's fired 200 rounds without issue and is incredibly accurate.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
bigfoot
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I heard many bad reviews but Hi Point but for 100+. I might have to check it out.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Das Capitolin
Target and Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
I heard many bad reviews but Hi Point but for 100+. I might have to check it out.
I haven't seen any for this weapon in my searches. Would you post a reference?
Old 02-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Just Deserts
They drew First Blood....

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Nice review

I have both the C9 9mm pistol and the model 995 9mm carbine and both are excellent shooters. Yes, the do have their limitations, but for the price I really like them. I've had them both for over 6 years and they have never failed in any way.

I wouldn't mind one of the pistols in .45ACP
Old 02-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
osiruscyn
The man who came around

i was at american shooters a few years back and saw a guy there with one. He took it out to fire and it literally fell apart in his hands. It jammed multiple times with stovepipes and failue to feeds and the firing pin broke eventually broke. He had just purchased it. Maybe they improved their quality but after seeing that and reading reviews on other sights, it's not the brand for me.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
Das Capitolin
Target and Tactical

I put 200 rounds through my Hi-Point JCP 40SW-B last weekend, and me and some friends put 400 through it today. Not one single problem at all.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
Just Deserts
They drew First Blood....

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by osiruscyn View Post
i was at american shooters a few years back and saw a guy there with one. He took it out to fire and it literally fell apart in his hands. It jammed multiple times with stovepipes and failue to feeds and the firing pin broke eventually broke. He had just purchased it. Maybe they improved their quality but after seeing that and reading reviews on other sights, it's not the brand for me.
Some guys can mess up a wet dream or make something as reliable as a AK turn into a jamomatic (no offense )
Old 02-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #8
Ronsmag
Obsessed Member

Ther are a bunch of you tube vids on Hi Points check them out some are really good.
I have a 45 I keep next to the bed bought it used for $99 the springs were week I sent it back to Hi Point and they completely rebuilt the gun I thought they sent me a new one but the ser# was the same, and they sent me an extra mag for my trouble. I don't care what anyone was says about them you can't beat them for the money.
I saw a 380 at the show for $169, Overton Hardware sells them for $129 saw a 45 at the Survival Store they wanted $350, $159 at OH
Old 02-13-2011, 04:38 AM   #9
Das Capitolin
Target and Tactical

I'll probably be meeting Rains tomorrow for the first time, and I'll let him shoot my Hi-Point JCP 40SW-B. I'm confident he'll be impressed with the bang-for-buck value.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I liked my C9 I had a few years back... They're uglier than a sack of cornholes, but the one I had did the job and I bought it private party in Reno for $150 (including a cheap-o shoulder holster).

The only reason I still don't have it is because I traded it straight up for a weapon worth 200% more. I've got 'enough' handguns for now, but I'm still considering getting another one (or two).