Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Ammunition

Notices

Ammunition Without it, guns are nothing more than expensive paperweights.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2009, 04:44 AM   #1
Regular Joe
Grand Poobah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Viability of .22 LR in SHTF

Ever since I decided to get back into firearms, I've been researching the viability of .22 LR as an urban MBR. People tend to scoff at the idea, but there are several cases where I've found that it has been used to great effect.
You may be familiar with this:
http://www.ruger1022.com/docs/israeli_sniper.htm
-where Israeli Defense Forces used suppressed Ruger 10/.22's as a "less lethal" means of crowd control. The idea was to shoot the main players in the legs to get them out of action. A problem arose with this though, when the .22 proved to be "too lethal".
In Chechnya, the Russians learned that snipers using .22 LR were a terrible deterrent to troop morale. They work, and it's hard to know where the shot came from, because the .22 LR is quiet, even without a suppressor.
http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/tilted-...t-arsenal.html
On that page, we see that Russia went so far as to build their own .22 LR sniper rifle, the SV-99.
In an urban SHTF situation, I don't think the big idea is to kill 'em all. What matters is to make them stop chasing me! Shots to the face and neck will do that, but also to any major joint, like knees, shoulders and ankles.
I hope I don't have to prove this, but if it comes to that, this little guy:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...=1212&return=Y
with a Nikon 4x scope will be my "MBR".
Regular Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
JimBianchi
Daddy

I believe the 22LR is the most under rated cartridge ever made.

It can do mild to wild, in Alaska poachers use them to snipe moose and caribou out of season. Put one in their ear and they drop.

My SHTF plans includes a 1022 and a mix of 1K of sub-sonic and 2K of standard ammo.(Hyper velocity ammo is not very accurate in my 1022 so I don't stock any)

It also includes an M4 and 20 loaded 30rd mags and 1K of 62gn HPs.

While a 22LR can do it all, a M4 (clone) can do it better and at 300 yards.

If I had no other gun, a 1022 would serve me well. Luckily I do have an M4.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address

Beware the Prophet seeking Profit, Dennis Miller, Conservative Radio Host
JimBianchi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #3
osiruscyn
The man who came around

I too am a big fan of the .22.

It's cheap and it will be plentiful in a SHTF.

I have a couple of .22 rifles that are my favorite. They allow easier, faster follow up shots.

I can place 18 shots of .22 in the same amount of time it would take me to place 3 shots from my lever action .30-.30.
osiruscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
Facejackets
Low Speed High Drag

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I want one of those .22 GSG mp5 clones...they are only like 500...and they look ssssssccchhhwweeeeeeeeetttt
Facejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Ironballs
Vegas 4 Life

1. deadly. Kills more than any other round, and in SHTF the lack of services means even a leg or arm would has a good chance of mortality.

2. for urban sniping, it really is awesome. If you do your part, you can be deadly to ranges way farther than expected.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...504301&fpart=1
http://www.isegoria.net/2008/10/dese...-vs-turkey.htm

3. instant stop is not always likely, so perp may continue attacking (and shooting back)... a bad thing imo- but the ability of stealth helps.

4 great hunter/eater/varmint round to keep you in meat when in need (SG great too).

5. cheap and plentiful ammo is a plus, and it stores easily and compactly. You can sure carry lots of round.

6. ammo is less reliable then centerfire, a negative.

Personally, I have a few 22lr, tons of ammo for them, and thing them a good addition to any collection for fun or survival (or first and only purchase if need be).
Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Jim Fuller
Rifle Dynamics 07FFL/SOT

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

The .22 is very valuable for survival and short a range DMR.
However, some years ago I watched a guy get shot point blank six times with a .22 the victim took the gun away from the shooter and beat him to unconsisness. I would not depend on a .22 for any kind of close contact fight.

for survival they should be in everybodys armory.
Jim Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
Regular Joe
Grand Poobah

For that nasty boy who wants to keep on coming, the sidearm is your best friend. I've also seen stories like a woman who tried to commit suicide with a .22 pistol. After 6 shots to her chest, she got a 9mm and shot herself in the head. It won't always be the answer, but most attackers will know that any hit is life threatening in the absence of medical care, and go looking for an easier target. The .22 will go a long way in helping to conserve your heavier, more powerful ammo.
Shooting into wet phone books, I found that a fast 2 shots from a 10/.22 produce a wound channel that is very similar to one round of 9mm with the 124 gr. golden saber. Being able to carry 1,000 rounds of ammo is a big plus. I use fanny packs that are found in the same section at Walmart as outdoor cookware. They have a 1-1/2" strap and a heavy buckle.
In looking at gel tests of various .22LR:
http://www.brassfetcher.com/22LR.html
we see that the velocitor doesn't gain much over standard ammo. I find that it's nearly as accurate as Rem. golden bullet HP's, which are the most accurate of all in all 3 of my 10/.22's. Velocitors are far more expensive, but they plain don't misfire. Federal automatch is also very reliable, and pretty hot. LRN is a better bet than HP for shots where bone damage is the big idea. I was surprised to find automatch at the Trop/McCloud Walmart yesterday.
Regular Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
requiem
deum genus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

.22LR IMO is very under estimated. I would not trust my life on it in an SHTF situation, but it serves its purpose. Not just an .22LR...the CCI stingers that you used to be able to get at Wal-Mart have a FPS of 1670, not the 1200 which is normal.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
Jim Fuller
Rifle Dynamics 07FFL/SOT

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

The CCI stingers are impressive, the higher velosity makes a big difference in the effect of the round.
Jim Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
Bob Irvin
aka fuzzysni

Will do.

f.

This message brought to you by the Pink and Pleasant Plastic Icon Company, Del Rio, TX.
Bob Irvin is offline   Reply With Quote