Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Shooters Corner > The Range & Training

Notices

The Range & Training Marksmanship, tactical & defensive training, cowboy shooting, long & short range shooting, competition, silhouette games. Tips, tricks and more.

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
titanNV
NRA Life Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default Remington 700 vs Savage vs ?

Looking for the best value in a sub $600 30'06; looking for best accuracy outta the box for 800, maybe 1000 yards. I know 30'06 limits me a bit, as it was replaced by the 308 years ago. Still, looking at 30';06.

Was considering Savage as well, but not sure which one outta the box compare with or is superior in accuracy and reliability to the Remington 700 SPS.

Thoughts?
titanNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Quickdraw
"Ho'old on there"

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Having just gone down a similar road and owning 1 Rem 700 and 1 Savage I can say that accuracy wise they are both shooters. I think Savage technology and features for the money spent may have a minor advantage but you can't go wrong either way. For the ranges you are looking at a bedded stock and adjustable trigger would be great features for cosistancy but may not fit into your budget. I would say do some internet searches to find the model, features and pricing on each. Have NFA get pricing for you on each model. They are stocking the Rem SPS now and a Savage Edge although I don't think the Edge is what you are looking for.
Quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Sonic Sammy
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hows this for an analogy?
The Remington 700 is to the Gun World as the 350 Chevrolet is to the car world everyone makes parts for a 700.

Savage is kinda like the MOPAR of the Gun World.

If your going to shoot it as it comes out of the box then take your pick.

If your going to put it in a better stock or add DBM go with a Remmy.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Pachinko Pistola
Certified by DHS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

^^^ Like he said, the Remy is like the Chevy 350, AR-15, 1911, etc. of the bolt gun world.

I got mine for around $500 like new. SPS Varmint in .308.

When we went to that hog ranch earlier in the year, we brought a 30-06 and my .308. The 30-06 did a lot more damage to the animal. It smashed it's bones all up inside. Then again, the shot was from around 75 yards versus my 200 yards with the .308.

"God may have created all men, but Sam Colt made them equal."
Pachinko Pistola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Brider
CPAs do it by the numbers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Sammy View Post
Hows this for an analogy?
The Remington 700 is to the Gun World as the 350 Chevrolet is to the car world everyone makes parts for a 700.

Savage is kinda like the MOPAR of the Gun World.

If your going to shoot it as it comes out of the box then take your pick.

If your going to put it in a better stock or add DBM go with a Remmy.
That is the best analogy I have seen so far! Of course I am a car guy. My stick for hunting is a .270 savage, but my shooter is a Remmy 700.
Brider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
Quickdraw
"Ho'old on there"

And for the same money out of the box the Savage will come in a better stock and already have a DBM. Just what I've seen as I built a Remy and bought a factory Savage and didn't need to do anything but put a scope and rings on it. If you just called one Brand X and one Brand Y, saw the features, target groups and price then things would be alot clearer. Having a platform to build a custom rifle is a different subject all together though. At that point a bunch of other names come into the discussion. Starting with a 30-06 eliminates that discussion because it won't be a custom precision rifle. Nothing wrong with the 06 but every caliber has it stong and weak points.

Everybody loves a 350 chevy but you don't see them in Corvetts or Camaro's today. You can still build them but for the money spent there may be better options. As for Remy vs Sav'y I like them both. No dog in this fight.

Last edited by Quickdraw; 09-19-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
titanNV
NRA Life Member

So by the Chevy 350 vs Mopar analogy, where does that put the Winchester Model 70? Ford 302 or 351?? Well I guess if in a 30'06 then maybe a 260 or 289!!

Well I narrowed down the Savage selection to these 5 rifles, as they are chambered in 30'06, have Accustock, and Accutrigger:
Model: 116 FHSAK (with adjustable muzzle brake; could get under $700);
Model: 116 FCSS;
Model: 116 FHSS;
Model: 111 FCNS (MSRP $656 should be able to get under $500);
Model: 111 FHNS (MSRP $656 should be able to get under $500).
The difference between the FCXX and the FHXX is a detachable box vs hingled floorplate - I don't think I care. So it's really down to three Savage that would meet the criteria.

Still that is IF I get a Savage. Are the Savage's with the Accustock and Accutrigger then potentially more accurate than the Remington 700 SPS, BDL or CDL?

(Remington has a rebate program going on - $40 off SPS and $100 off XCRII, CDL, BDL, VTR, XCR, and XHR rifles that I would be interested in taking advantage of.)

Last edited by titanNV; 09-20-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 AM   #8
Quickdraw
"Ho'old on there"

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanNV View Post
Still that is IF I get a Savage. Are the Savage's with the Accustock and Accutrigger then potentially more accurate than the Remington 700 SPS, BDL or CDL?
If you take the names away and ask "Is a rifle with a bedding block and free floated barrel potentially more accurate than a rifle without those features" then the answer is yes. If you ask are any of the rifles you listed more accurate than any of the others listed then we are just back into that whole brand battle again. They are all good rifles. The "06" caliber limits your options to a certain extent because these will generally be hunting rifles which are built to hit large game animals at medium ranges.

I don't believe any of those Remington rifles come with a bedding block like the Accustock. The SPS and BDL have an adjustable triggers but I liked the Accutrigger more than the trigger that came in my Rem LTR which was supposed to be an upgrade from the those triggers. That trigger failed in the first month and I replaced it with a Jewel trigger. I've never adjusted my Accutrigger because it felt good right out of the box. If you can get the DBM that is a nice feature that you will come to appreciate later. On the Rem that is about a $350 aftermarket add. Accustock is about a $50 add, your cost, which will be worth every penny as that will also free float the barrel.

Last edited by Quickdraw; 09-20-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:28 AM   #9
titanNV
NRA Life Member

The all things being equal, the two advantages between Savage has over the 700 SPS is the Accutrigger and Accustock. Really seems like that is the better bang for the buck.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:54 AM   #10
Just Deserts
They drew First Blood....

Accutrigger is the way to go!
CZ rifles have great triggers out of the box too.
Anyone shoot a rifle with a set trigger? I had a CZ with a set trigger, it was incredible! The economy made me sell it