Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Ammunition

Notices

Ammunition Without it, guns are nothing more than expensive paperweights.

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
RavenBrother
Very Active Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New Military Round

Found this interesting

New Rounds for Army Rifles
June 23: A new round replaces the current M855 5.56mm cartridge that has been used by U.S. troops since the early 1980s. The M855A1 offers a number of significant enhancements: improved hard target capability, increased dependability, consistent performance at all distances, improved accuracy, reduced muzzle flash and a higher velocity. It's tailored for use in the M-4 but also improves the performance of the M-16 and M-249 families of weapons.
RavenBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
billsail
NRA Life Member

Wish I could find some info on bullet weight and composition. Anyone know the loading data?
billsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:02 AM   #3
Sapper12b
uber n00b

Default Greeen Ammo

PICATINNY ARSENAL, N.J. (June 23, 2010) -- The Army announced today it has begun shipping its new 5.56mm cartridge, the M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round, to support warfighters in Afghanistan.

The new M855A1 round is sometimes referred to as "green ammo."
The new round replaces the current M855 5.56mm cartridge that has been used by U.S. troops since the early 1980s.

The M855A1 resulted in a number of significant enhancements not found in the current round, officials said. They explained these include improved hard-target capability, more dependable, consistent performance at all distances, improved accuracy, reduced muzzle flash and a higher velocity.

During testing, the M855A1 performed better than current 7.62mm ball ammunition against certain types of targets, blurring the performance differences that previously separated the two rounds.

The projectile incorporates these improvements without adding weight or requiring additional training.

According to Lt. Col. Jeffrey K. Woods, the program's product manager, the projectile is "the best general purpose 5.56mm round ever produced."

Woods said its fielding represents the most significant advancement in general purpose small caliber ammunition in decades.

The Enhanced Performance Round contains an environmentally-friendly projectile that eliminates up to 2,000 tons of lead from the manufacturing process each year in direct support of Army commitment to environmental stewardship.

Woods said the effort is a clear example of how "greening" a previously hazardous material can also provide extremely beneficial performance improvements.

Picatinny Arsenal's Project Manager for Maneuver Ammunition Systems manages the M855A1 program.

Project Manager Chris Grassano called the fielding "the culmination of an Army enterprise effort by a number of organizations, particularly the Army Research Laboratory, Armament Research Development and Engineering Center, Program Executive Office for Ammunition and the Joint Munitions Command.

"The Army utilized advanced science, modeling and analysis to produce the best 5.56mm round possible for the warfighter," he said.

The M855A1 is tailored for use in the M-4 weapon system but also improves the performance of the M-16 and M-249 families of weapons.

A true general-purpose round, the M855A1 exceeds the performance of the current M855 against the many different types of targets likely to be encountered in combat.

Prior to initial production, the EPR underwent vigorous testing. Official qualification of the round consisted of a series of side-by-side tests with the current M855.

Overall, the Army fired more than 1 million rounds to ensure the new cartridge met or exceeded all expectations. The M855A1 is without question the most thoroughly tested small caliber round ever fielded, Woods said.

The Army has recently completed the Limited Rate Initial Production phase for the M855A1 and is beginning the follow-on full rate production phase where plans are to procure more than 200 millions rounds over the next 12-15 months.

The M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round is the first environmentally-friendly bullet resulting from a larger "greening" effort across the Army's Small Caliber Ammunition programs. Other greening efforts include 5.56mm tracer, 7.62mm ball and green primers.

Soldiers in Afghanistan will begin using the new, improved round this summer.

"To change your situation, you have to change your surroundings"
Sapper12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:11 AM   #4
Guido
New Frontier Armory

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsail View Post
Wish I could find some info on bullet weight and composition. Anyone know the loading data?
One of our ATK Distro's was telling me about this a few weeks ago. He couldn't remember exactly, but he claimed it was 42 or 47 grains??
Old 07-01-2010, 03:18 AM   #5
jason
That Guy

remember if its like the current m855 with the steel tip?
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
HA-Y-N 702
Kanaka

Tree hugger ammo. Sheesh! I opt for the SOST/SOCOM ammo. So do the Marines. Green ammo. Right.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #7
rat907
Another Clown With Guns™

I like that "penetrator" tip, kinda reminds me of other AP ammo on larger calibres. Green? yeah right, it looks more to be lethal against hard targets (car bodies). And passifies the tree huggers with BS names\descriptions instead of the truth about the new killer round.

"When you reject the truth, all you have left is a lie" - John Haggee

Keep your barrel clean, powder dry and your balls close at hand

*There isn't a place called Black Mesa, NV. It's a fictitious Government research facility in a 1998 PC video game released by Sierra Studios named Half-Life. In which this facility closely resembles the aura of covert experimentation that surrounds the Nevada Testsite and the hero loosely based on Bob Lazar.

Last edited by rat907; 07-03-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: passify to passfies
rat907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
Sonic Sammy
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I'd like to get a closer look at some rounds
Old 08-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
OneBad135i
Jeep driver. No more BMW