Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Hand Guns

Notices

Hand Guns Semi-autos, revolvers...post it here.

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Just Deserts
They drew First Blood....

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Handguns for sale at Wal-Mart, Sports Authority, Big-5 and Montgomery Wards!

Well they used to sell them, back in the day.

Wal-Mart and Sports Authority many years back, Big-5 even further back and Montgomery Wards when they used to be in business. Sears had guns too, but you will have to Google that information.

Past history....
Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
requiem
deum genus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

back in the good-ol-days sports authority sold guns. i was a wee little laddy. they used to sell BB guns too.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

When I was a youngster in the 50's, Grand Auto (auto parts store, think they are out of business now, were acquired by Kragens I believe) had their own house brand of long guns and handguns, so did ACE Hardware stores. Most hardware stores carried at least rifles and shotguns and ammo for everything including BB and pellet guns.
Sears had the Ted Williams and JC Higgins and RANGER brands, Monkey Wards had a house brand as well (name escapes me at the moment, see what you have to look forward to when you get to be my age?) Oh, wait, it might have been Western Field . JC Penny had a house brand too very briefly, was made by Savage as I recall.
Names like Manton,Stevens, Mossberg, Harrington and Richardson, Marlin, Winchester, Remington, LC Smith, Browning, Fox, Glenfield, all made guns that were labeled with these house brands. Makes for some interesting collecting today. Want a Winchester Model 190 .22 but don't want to ante up $500 for one in good shape? Go find a Sears Ted Williams Model 3T in good shape instead. Sells for about $125 these days, and it is a Winchester Model 190 stamped as the Ted Williams brand instead. Lots of these good values out there if you know what to look for.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:03 AM   #4
Maxx
Infamous Member

There was a store called Las Vegas Sports on Rainbow & Cheyenne back in the late '90s that let you buy hand guns on a layaway plan.
I always had something or another on layaway that the ol' lady didn't know about.
Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Didn't some banks used to offer .22LR's if you opened a new checking account?

1. Thou shall not attack the person’s character, but the argument. (Ad hominem) 2. Thou shall not misrepresent or exaggerate a person’s argument in order to make them easier to attack. (Straw man fallacy) 3. Thou shall not use small numbers to represent the whole. (Hasty generalization) 4. Thou shall not argue thy position by assuming one of its premises is true. (Begging the question) 5. Thou shall not claim that because something occurred before, it must be the cause. (Post Hoc/False cause) 6. Thou shall not reduce the argument down to two possibilities. (False dichotomy) 7. Thou shall not argue that because of our ignorance, claim must be true or false. (Ad ignorantum) 8. Thou shall not lay the burden of proof onto him that is questioning the claim. (Burden of proof reversal) 9. Thou shall not assume “this” follows “that” when it has no logical connection. (Non sequitur) 10. Thou shall not claim that because a premise is popular, therefore it must be true. (Bandwagon fallacy)
jfrey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Just Deserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
There was a store called Las Vegas Sports on Rainbow & Cheyenne back in the late '90s that let you buy hand guns on a layaway plan.
I always had something or another on layaway that the ol' lady didn't know about.
Called, "Jumbo Sports" and is now Sports Authority, I think.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
Just Deserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
Didn't some banks used to offer .22LR's if you opened a new checking account?
They gave you ammo or a new rifle? Weird

Dodge gave a 30/30 rifle with the puchase of a new pick up truck some time back (1980s)
Old 01-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
Just Deserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYECOGunsmith View Post
When I was a youngster in the 50's, Grand Auto (auto parts store, think they are out of business now, were acquired by Kragens I believe) had their own house brand of long guns and handguns, so did ACE Hardware stores. Most hardware stores carried at least rifles and shotguns and ammo for everything including BB and pellet guns.
Sears had the Ted Williams and JC Higgins and RANGER brands, Monkey Wards had a house brand as well (name escapes me at the moment, see what you have to look forward to when you get to be my age?) Oh, wait, it might have been Western Field . JC Penny had a house brand too very briefly, was made by Savage as I recall.
Names like Manton,Stevens, Mossberg, Harrington and Richardson, Marlin, Winchester, Remington, LC Smith, Browning, Fox, Glenfield, all made guns that were labeled with these house brands. Makes for some interesting collecting today. Want a Winchester Model 190 .22 but don't want to ante up $500 for one in good shape? Go find a Sears Ted Williams Model 3T in good shape instead. Sells for about $125 these days, and it is a Winchester Model 190 stamped as the Ted Williams brand instead. Lots of these good values out there if you know what to look for.
I liked it when guns were a part of American life and wasn't a big deal to be worried about. Guns are still a part of American life, but now it feels like we are in the minority

Coast to Coast hardware store on Lake Mead and Boulder Highway (not sure if it's still there) sold ammo. I used to buy my .22s there, not because of a good price but I liked the fact they sold ammo in their store.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
Maxx
Infamous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Deserts View Post
Called, "Jumbo Sports" and is now Sports Authority, I think.
You are right, it was a jumbo sports, but never A Sports Authority.

Does anyone else remember the drug store at Charleston & Valley View that sold hand guns? That was pretty cool.
Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
geo
Administrator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I still remember when I lived in Upsate NY back in 1992 (might have been 1991 I forget), I walked into a Sears in a mall got a Marlin Papoose, and walked out with it and ammo.. no backround checks, no paranoia, no one walked me to the door.. nothing. I paid cash and left. This was in Poughkeepsie NY.

Stupid me.. I sold it a few years later when I was moving back to NYC. Ahh well.. I got enough 22 rilfles now anyway.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote