User Tag List

Old 11-28-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
brianbky
uber n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New To Las Vegas

Good Morning group,

I moved here from "The Peoples Republic of the Northeast" back in June. I did quite a bit of shooting as a kid when things were not as "progressive" there as they are now but I have been out of the gun culture for about 40 years now. Wow has the gun world changed! My first visit to a gun store here in Vegas about knocked me over, and the gun shows almost every weekend. The first purchase I made here was a Ruger 10/22 takedown to plink with. Then I purchased a customized Rock Island 1911 style 9mm. I just added an AR, the ultimate FU to the people back East, and a Ruger LC9s as an eventual CCW when I get the permit.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

I would like to know a good area to go shooting. I've been going to a local range but I understand there are places on public land close by I can go and set up my empty cans and other targets to shoot.

I'm also interested in buying some historic weapons in the near future, such as an M1, German Mauser..etc....any suggestions on the best places to look for things like this?

One last thing, other than this forum are there any clubs or organizations that any of you find interesting that I might look into?

Ok thanks for your time. I'm hoping to go shooting today.
brianbky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
pick_six
Adjusting to the west!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

not sure about desert spots, but for controlled outdoor ranges, there are several.

ccsc (clark county shooting complex) north side of town. PUBLIC range. has both target shooting (rifle, pistol, etc, up to 200 yards) and shotgun/clay target stuff (trap, skeet, sporting clays, 5 stand). also archery.

desert sportsmans. PRIVATE (members or guests, competition shoots allow for non members). west side of vegas, not far from 215 / charleston intersection, toward red rocks. has ranges out to 900y or so.

there are 2-3 down in boulder, south of town. i have not been to these, but you can check them on the internet. google "boulder city ranges" and it'll show you the 3. some folks will probably be able to give details about one or all.
pick_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:53 AM   #3
Tophog
Biker Trailer Trash

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Welcome!

-

Shooting spots often depend where in LV you live.

Check here:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...26550750000001

USN gunner, '76-'80. - "You will always observe that the gunner's gang of every man-of-war are invariably ill-tempered, ugly-featured, and quarrelsome"

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government IS the problem!" Ronald Reagan

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
(H.L. Mencken, the Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920)

ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)
Tophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
Dusty
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Welcome! We are loosing more and more desert land all the time that were good shooting spots. I think mostly due to people leaving their trash. Some of these spots are closed to shooting now. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...13092498046876

http://www.nevadashooters.com/showth...shooting+spots
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
brianbky
uber n00b

I'm going to check out the Clark county range. Thanks
Old 11-29-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
brianbky
uber n00b

I found the Sloan location yesterday. I was sadden by what I saw there. Total disregard for the rules and safety. The mess there was disgusting, people have no respect. When I was a kid we went to a local dump/landfill on Sundays when it was closed to shoot bottles, cans and rats. The grounds around the dump were maintained better. I won't be going to Sloan again.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
prettylame123
uber n00b

Welcome to Vegas. There are lots of good spots here for recreational shooting.
prettylame123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #8
JimBianchi
Daddy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Welcome and enjoy!
NSSF
USAF, Ret.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address

Beware the Prophet seeking Profit, Dennis Miller, Conservative Radio Host
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:00 AM   #9
777Driver
777Driver

Hey brianbky,

Welcome aboard! Good to have a new member check in. I only joined a little while ago too. This Forum isn't as active as some, but the people here are pretty nice. Maybe if we can get more members to join it'll get more lively.

The Clark County Shooting Complex is a great place to shoot. It's north on Decatur, about 3-4 miles north of the 215 loop.

There is an open space like what you are asking about that I have gone to a couple of times. you start heading north on 95 like you're going to Reno. About 5-7 miles past the Snow Mountain exit there are a bunch of dirt mounds and mini-canyons on your right (east side). Look for a dirt road that heads out there. There are probably other cars out there too. Just drive out there and find your own little nitch in one of the mini-canyons.

Front Sight is a really good shooting academy that is over the west mountains and almost to Pahrump. If you go to the website their memberships are pretty expensive, but you can find memberships being sold by current members online for $100-150, which is a bargain for what they provide. After that you'll have to endure the near continuous sales pitch from Ignatius Piazza, but It's worth it.
777Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #10
doz
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbky View Post
I found the Sloan location yesterday. I was sadden by what I saw there. Total disregard for the rules and safety. The mess there was disgusting, people have no respect. When I was a kid we went to a local dump/landfill on Sundays when it was closed to shoot bottles, cans and rats. The grounds around the dump were maintained better. I won't be going to Sloan again.
The good thing about where we live is the options. You don't have to goto an official shooting park to shoot. Plenty of public land just be sure to clean up what you left so it doesn't turn into Sloan.

Here is a map (courtesy of NVCarry, great website for info run by a board local!) of the areas you can shoot in around Las Vegas.

http://www.nevadacarry.org/uploads/5...e_shooting.pdf
doz is offline   Reply With Quote