Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armed Citizen > Open Carry & Concealed Carry

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2018, 03:35 AM   #11
HitsCount

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

1) The new policy could save lives for people that it applies to -- that's why we carry guns, right? If that's you then you can use the info right away and actually take action on it.

2) If that isn't you, then it won't affect you to wait for public affairs to release the full details shortly. The Airmen at PA release a monthly newspaper and are active on social media. They are hardworking Americans and are super busy covering Red Flag right now so I suspect this isn't even on their radar yet. This is an easy slam dunk "scoop" article for a young enlisted airman to get credit for writing.

3) If PA doesn't release an article in a timely manner I'll seek authorization from the OPR to just post the entire PDF. Currently the PDF lives on a .mil network.

Please feel free to contact 99 ABW PA if you would like to get their take on it sooner, or try a FOIA request. Its already on my to-do list to call PA next week anyways about this but knock yourself out. As I stated in #2 I doubt they are even aware of this yet.
HitsCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #12
LASCHRIS

What are you talking about?
LASCHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #13
usmcnye
uber n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Policies about personally owned firearms aboard the installation and CCW permits are clearly articulated; no updates or changes. If and when that were to change, would be posted in writing and electronically. Additionally, would expect to see local and national media coverage. All military personnel, dependents, government workers and contractors that have access to military properties are aware that firearm policies are unfortunately very restrictive to the point of historically being anti-gun. If any were to claim ignorance of such policies and be caught violating them; one would suffer consequences such as being prohibited from base access or be subject to the uniform code of military justice if they were on active duty. Personally, I would like to see a DOD wide change to the policy. As a career Marine Corps officer who deployed multiple times to Iraq (2003, 2004, 2006 & 2007), I find it curious that I am trusted to prosecute direct deadly force actions against enemies of the United States and it coalition, yet when I am back in the United States, that special trust and confidence seems to be lacking when it comes to personal firearms.
usmcnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:46 PM   #14
Hacker
Aviator

Old 02-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #15
usmcnye
uber n00b

This is policy change seems to be in the correct direction; after initial review this is what my take is:

This policy DOES NOT APPLY to all personnel authorized base access; it appears to only apply to "personnel assigned to or positioned on NAFB/CAFB" (paragraph 1). This policy seems to exclude " residents of dormitories, lodging or Temporary Living Facilities (TLF)" (paragraph 2).

The intent of this policy change seems to be focused on limited transport of personal firearms to base housing.

This is a step in the right direction, however does not allow concealed carry. If you access the base, for example as a retired military or active-duty member assigned at another duty station, I do not think this policy applies. This is just my opinion, one should inquire with the proper authorities at Nellis AFB before transporting concealed firearms aboard the installation if you are not officially assigned there.

Thank you for posting.
usmcnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:38 AM   #16
Hacker
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcnye View Post
The intent of this policy change seems to be focused on limited transport of personal firearms to base housing.
The intent of the policy is to allow people to transport and store their CCW in their car while they're at work, so as to allow people to carry going to and from work.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:34 AM   #17
HitsCount

Hacker, beat me to it!

I spent a fair amount of time yesterday and today getting in touch with PA and SFS. As I thought PA is swamped with Flag and wasn't even aware yet but they are now tracking. SFS had no issues with public release on social media.

You saved me having to scan and upload!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcnye View Post
This is policy change seems to be in the correct direction; after initial review this is what my take is:

This policy DOES NOT APPLY to all personnel authorized base access; it appears to only apply to "personnel assigned to or positioned on NAFB/CAFB" (paragraph 1). This policy seems to exclude " residents of dormitories, lodging or Temporary Living Facilities (TLF)" (paragraph 2).

This is a step in the right direction, however does not allow concealed carry. If you access the base, for example as a retired military or active-duty member assigned at another duty station, I do not think this policy applies. This is just my opinion, one should inquire with the proper authorities at Nellis AFB before transporting concealed firearms aboard the installation if you are not officially assigned there.

Thank you for posting.
This new policy is much bigger than just base housing. It allows an individual that meets the criteria in para 1 to have a pistol on their belt, drive through the gate, park their car, and secure the (loaded) pistol in a lock box in the car once you park wherever. You do not need to clear the pistol in the car which is unsafe. Then when ready to leave the base these personnel can uncase the firearm and strap back on. For people who live in base housing, they can strap on and walk to their car and drive out the gate which is a big deal as base housing is in a not-very-nice area. There was just an attempted car jacking at Craig and Lamb a few blocks from base housing in the last few months (foiled by an armed citizen).

It would also allow someone to keep a pistol secured in the car all the time (so long as they don't part for more than 24 hours) if they wanted.

More mundanely there was previously no lawful way to transport rifles/pistols to the rod and gun club.

There is no registration requirement, nor is there a requirement to stow firearms in the armory each morning.

The biggest excluded group is retirees along with personnel not assigned to Nellis. Hopefully that is an oversight and they are included in an update soon. It is huge that dependents are included. One step at a time.

This is huge progress and is one of the most permissive policies in the DOD which is one reason I hope PA makes a big deal about it. The only other USAF base doing something similar I am aware of is Dyess.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:41 AM   #18
HitsCount

The thought process of SFS was specifically to promote personal protection.

From a background paper on the policy explaining the reasoning/rationale for the new policy:

"The areas surrounding Nellis AFB are considered some of the most high crime areas in Las Vegas. An installation POF transport policy allows personnel the opportunity to commute to and from Nellis or Creech AFB in possession of a POF to better protect themselves and their families...

This policy is in alignment with other installations efforts pursuing similar initiatives. With the crime rate in North Las Vegas, this affords our assigned personnel the opportunity for personal protection transiting to and from the installation."

This is a significant change in how the military approaches risk evaluation. Its a small, local step but it is going to take time to change a very risk averse culture.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:56 AM   #19
Arourasphere
Obsessed Member

Glad to see that Nellis has approved this. It's a shame they didn't do so while I was stationed there though.