Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > General Conversation

Notices

General Conversation The place to discuss topics NOT firearm related. ** Make sure the topic in question does not belong in another section before posting. **

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #41
glennc
American Patriot
 
glennc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Henderson
Posts: 722
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
So is mine. But after so many vehicles (I am way over the limit, owning 15 motor vehicles- 8 are motorcycles) USAA will force you to go with Progressive on more than so many vehicles (I forgot the number, but I am way over it).

-Don- Reno, NV
I also use USAA for my cars, but were told they don't insure motorcycles, so I have Geico on my Harley. I guess I too will see a rate increase...bummer.
__________________
US Army 1967-70
Springfield XD9 Bi-tone
RIA 1911 .45 MS SE
S & W M&P 9 Shield
DPMS AR-15 M4, A3

Lead, follow, or get out of the way! George S. Patton
glennc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:06 AM   #42
DonTom
Obsessed Member
 
DonTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Reno, NV, & Cold Springs Valley, NV & Auburn, CA
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennc View Post
I also use USAA for my cars, but were told they don't insure motorcycles, so I have Geico on my Harley. I guess I too will see a rate increase...bummer.
It looks like you're right. I just noticed 8 of my nine bikes are with Progressive. The other (electric motorcycle for Auburn) is insured in CA by Drive Insurance, which I think also has something to do with Progressive.

I think what I was confused with is that Progressive will only put four motorcycles on one policy and that was the limit I was over, so I have two policy numbers for the eight NV bikes.

But they will list all four bikes on one insurance ID card, so I only need two insurance ID cards for the eight bikes. Perhaps that's the reason, only room to list the four on one insurance ID card.

-Don- Reno
DonTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #43
Wolfn8tr
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Wolfn8tr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Henderson
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanNV View Post
Holy crap that's almost $500 a year!!!

I had to look it up. Mine went from $395/6 months in June to $453/6 months in Dec for our 2011s with full coverage 100/300 coverage. That's nearly a 15% increase!
I will be shopping around. We have no tickets or accidents and our vehicles are a year older now.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
- Personal Defense Weapon Ban Thread -

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall NOT be infringed.

America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

- Abraham Lincoln -
Wolfn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #44
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

 
jfrey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sparks, NV
Posts: 7,102
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfn8tr View Post
I will be shopping around. We have no tickets or accidents and our vehicles are a year older now.


Age of a vehicle works for and against you: Yeah, sure, it seems like cost less to replace your vehicle, but it also lowers the threshold where they actually total your vehicle vs repairing it. Totaling a vehicle is based on a percentage of cash value (changes from company to company, but let's pretend it's 80% for sake of discussion). Your car is worth $10k, means you have to do $8k worth of damage before they total it out and send you a $10k check. If it drops to $9k value, you only need $7,200 in damage to trigger them totaling it out and sending a full value check.

Plus, older cars become more likely to get into a claim through sheer ownership data. They rate cars as groups, so if everyone else who owns your make and model end up getting into wrecks, it ends up looking like those cars are higher risk. Kind of like the turbo charged Dodge SRT4 Neons that 20 year old kids kept speeding and wrecking in. High number of tickets and accidents associated with those vehicles drove them up as an entire class. Your history alone doesn't dictate insurance pricing, unfortunately.
__________________
Insert witty retort here.
jfrey123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #45
sbubrick
Obsessed Member
 
sbubrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Far East Side of Las Vegas
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

I have been with AAA for over 35 years. I switched to the Hartford about 10 years ago, that saved me about $125.00 for six months then they raised the rates to get the $125.00 back plus. I switched back to AAA. I have had many agencies try to beat then but no one has yet. also AAA is a annual policy
sbubrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #46
DonTom
Obsessed Member
 
DonTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Reno, NV, & Cold Springs Valley, NV & Auburn, CA
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubrick View Post
I have been with AAA for over 35 years. I switched to the Hartford about 10 years ago, that saved me about $125.00 for six months then they raised the rates to get the $125.00 back plus. I switched back to AAA. I have had many agencies try to beat then but no one has yet. also AAA is a annual policy
It seems to me that insurance companies play a game where they will have the lowest rates for a while and later the highest, meaning if we don't keep on shopping for insurance every few years, we get screwed.

-Don- Reno
DonTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:58 AM   #47
skip
uber n00b
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vegas
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
Age of a vehicle works for and against you: Yeah, sure, it seems like cost less to replace your vehicle, but it also lowers the threshold where they actually total your vehicle vs repairing it. Totaling a vehicle is based on a percentage of cash value (changes from company to company, but let's pretend it's 80% for sake of discussion). Your car is worth $10k, means you have to do $8k worth of damage before they total it out and send you a $10k check. If it drops to $9k value, you only need $7,200 in damage to trigger them totaling it out and sending a full value check.
The law in nevada is 65% of the actual cash value, not including paint and paterials. As well as statutory total losses being roll overs and any part of the floor that the seat belts mount to that needs to be replaced. The one thing people don't usually think about is salvage value. Vehicles with higher salvage values total easier. For example, let's say your vehicle has a $10,000 actual cash value (acv) and the estimate for repairs is $5000. The total loss breakeven threshold would be $6500, Which at that point the vehicle would be a fixer. Now the salvage value lowers the breakeven point. So if your vehicle has a 1500 salvage value your vehicle now will be a total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
Plus, older cars become more likely to get into a claim through sheer ownership data. They rate cars as groups, so if everyone else who owns your make and model end up getting into wrecks, it ends up looking like those cars are higher risk. Kind of like the turbo charged Dodge SRT4 Neons that 20 year old kids kept speeding and wrecking in. High number of tickets and accidents associated with those vehicles drove them up as an entire class. Your history alone doesn't dictate insurance pricing, unfortunately.
Yes absolutely, just like anyone that own a subaru. You can thank all the people that own wrx's and sti's that constanly think they are invincible in the snow and rain. Or just like anyone with a 1999-2008 ford super duty becuase that are extremely easy to break into and steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
It seems to me that insurance companies play a game where they will have the lowest rates for a while and later the highest, meaning if we don't keep on shopping for insurance every few years, we get screwed.

-Don- Reno
Generally the longer you are with one particular conpany without having claims and nothing changes on your policy, the lower your rate will be.

If anyone has progressive I would highly suggest the snapshot program. It's a device that plugs into your OBDII port and you drive around with it plugged in for a month or so. It will monitor your driving and if you a good driver it can lower your rate pretty significantly. I suggested it to my freind and it lowered his rates about 25%

Keep in mind that car insurance is like everything else. You get what you pay for. I wouldnt want the cheapest insurnace company out there, just like I would not be carrying the cheapest gun I could find and just like I don't buy the cheapest car parts I can find.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:03 PM.




2nd Amendment Gun Shop CrossBreed Holsters
New Frontier Armory Fight Focused Concepts
Extreme Ventures
Wild West Guns
Ammo Supply Warehouse Bite the Bullet
Netgirl Enterprises


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.