Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Curios & Relics

Notices

Curios & Relics 50+ years old, historically significant, or collector's firearms

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
DigDugDJ
uber Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 1950s S&W Chiefs Special Airweight w/Aluminum Cylinder

This little pistol has sat in the safe ever since I got it. I pulled it out today and I noticed that it has not just an aluminum frame but an aluminum cylinder. I have no plans on firing it at all but am wondering what the history behind this is. Im considering putting it up for sale as prefer shooters moreso than collectors pieces.

Thanks in advance

DigDugDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
RFSALES
uber Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

The gun should be a model 37 if model marked.If you shoot it do not use +p loads.
RFSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
SeegarSmoker
Prefers Wheelguns

It's a little hard to tell from the photos but I'd guess it's a pre-model 37 - a Chief's Special Airweight from the early 50's. The early ones had an alloy cylinder. If it's a later model 37 it should be stamped as such on the yoke.
SeegarSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #4
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

I have one, was my Dad's from the day it was new, he talked the S&W rep into selling him his dealers sample, they had just come out and were not yet all that available to gunshops, and Pop wanted as Backup as soon as he handled it.

I believe it only weighs between 11 & 13 ounces loaded I recall.

They were designed for the older .38 special loading of a 158 grain lead round nose at no more than 750 FPS, a very mild load, and will quickly shoot loose if fired with anything hotter, or if fired a lot even with that round.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:21 AM   #5
bigtubby
Banned
I've been Banned!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I wouldn't consider that as a collectors piece, in that condition it is "just a shooter" that probably shouldn't be shot much. A lot of the M-37's cracked where the barrel entered the frame. Would make a nice carry gun but with loaded down 38's might not be real effective with stopping power.
bigtubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #6
johnnv
uber n00b

Looks like you have a 38 Chief's Special Airweight introduced in Sept of 1952. It was intended for use by plainclothes law enforcement officers. Four samples were sent to the U.S. Air force for evaluation for use by flight crews. They had problems with this gun after continuous testing and decided to go with the larger 38 Chief's Special Airweight because it was easier to shoot. your gun, the smaller Chief's Special Airweight was discontinued Jan, 1954. Don't use modern .38 spl. ammo because of the pressures, in fact don't shoot it. Your gun probably has collector value so research before you sell. All this info from "History of Smith&Wesson by Roy Jinks".
johnnv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:11 AM   #7
bigtubby
Banned
I've been Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnv View Post
Looks like you have a 38 Chief's Special Airweight introduced in Sept of 1952. It was intended for use by plainclothes law enforcement officers. Four samples were sent to the U.S. Air force for evaluation for use by flight crews. They had problems with this gun after continuous testing and decided to go with the larger 38 Chief's Special Airweight because it was easier to shoot. your gun, the smaller Chief's Special Airweight was discontinued Jan, 1954. Don't use modern .38 spl. ammo because of the pressures, in fact don't shoot it. Your gun probably has collector value so research before you sell. All this info from "History of Smith&Wesson by Roy Jinks".
Did you see the pics? Lots of people make the mistake of thinking old or rare equals value. Condition of the item is the most important factor for collectors.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:08 AM   #8
johnnv
uber n00b

Of course condition is important to collectors and will figure in when determining value. The gun is still scarce and will fit nicely into a S&W collection.
johnnv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #9
bigtubby
Banned
I've been Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnv View Post
Of course condition is important to collectors and will figure in when determining value. The gun is still scarce and will fit nicely into a S&W collection.
According to the just published Standard Catalog of S&W 4th edition one in fair condition with alloy cylinder and barrel is worth between $400 to $500 one as new in the box brings a value of $1300.00
Old 02-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #10
FlyingZebra
Coal Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtubby View Post
According to the just published Standard Catalog of S&W 4th edition one in fair condition with alloy cylinder and barrel is worth between $400 to $500 one as new in the box brings a value of $1300.00
...so it's not worth much - but it's really cool. Just don't shoot it, much or at all...
FlyingZebra is offline   Reply With Quote