Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > How To's

Notices

How To's Tips, Tutorials, How-To's and more. Post 'em here!

User Tag List

Old 02-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #141
swagger
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Took the test (tech) on Saturday... ACED IT! I should have my call in about a week. Doesn't stop me from checking for it a couple times per day, though!

Saw the radio discussion above. I bought a Kenwood TH-D72 a few weeks ago. The comments about the manual not being very good are spot-on - it's practically useless. I suppose if you had a lot more experience with radios in general, it might not be so bad, but as someone just getting into the hobby, it's all greek.

Picked up the Nifty! Ham Accessories quick reference booklet for it, and I learned more in 10 minutes flipping through that thing last night than I had in two weeks of messing with the radio with only the Kenwood manual. Very nice product, that quick reference guide.
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #142
lonerider
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default Ham radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Took the test (tech) on Saturday... ACED IT! I should have my call in about a week. Doesn't stop me from checking for it a couple times per day, though!

Saw the radio discussion above. I bought a Kenwood TH-D72 a few weeks ago. The comments about the manual not being very good are spot-on - it's practically useless. I suppose if you had a lot more experience with radios in general, it might not be so bad, but as someone just getting into the hobby, it's all greek.

Picked up the Nifty! Ham Accessories quick reference booklet for it, and I learned more in 10 minutes flipping through that thing last night than I had in two weeks of messing with the radio with only the Kenwood manual. Very nice product, that quick reference guide.
It is all in the presentation. Going thru 3-5 different languages and dialects will be VERY confusing. It is also in the tricks. Every craft has its tricks. Glad you found a book to help out. I think I may have to get one or two of those. After you get your programming down you will really start to have some fun.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #143
bplv
uber Member

I finally ended up getting a Wouxun HT with a Larsen 2/70B that I need to install now. I couldn't decide on a mobile mounted unit and I figured the HT would be good in case the truck has electrical problems or is in too much of a canyon. The HT is easier to carry to the top of a hill.

I was surprised that I could open the Potosi repeater with it from my home in the far NW (think Floyd Lamb park). It will be interesting to see how many I can open with a proper, high quality antenna.
bplv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:14 AM   #144
lonerider
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplv View Post
I finally ended up getting a Wouxun HT with a Larsen 2/70B that I need to install now. I couldn't decide on a mobile mounted unit and I figured the HT would be good in case the truck has electrical problems or is in too much of a canyon. The HT is easier to carry to the top of a hill.

I was surprised that I could open the Potosi repeater with it from my home in the far NW (think Floyd Lamb park). It will be interesting to see how many I can open with a proper, high quality antenna.
Good choice on radio. You will get out WAY further with the external mounted antenna. There are always dead spots but all you have to do is move and you'll find signal. Have fun.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #145
sleepdirt
Very Active Member

If you hamsters need any good quality tower components I'm a tower contractor that installs and maintains them as well as commercial & gov't microwave systems.
I've been thinning out my inventory and might have some coax, connectors, and tower steel for you.
Go to my contact info for the web site link.
sleepdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #146
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Default HAM License TEST This Saturday 3-10-12 In Pahrump

There will be a license exam for all classes of Amateur Radio License (Technician, General and Extra Classes) this Saturday, 10 March 2012 at the Nye County Emergency Operations Center, 1510 Siri Lane, Pahrump, NV. 89048.

The exam session will start at 12 Noon and run until we have administered exams to all applicants.

The fee for the exam is $15, and you need to bring a photo ID or two non photo ID's, a pencil and a blue or black ink pen.

Calculators are allowed, but if they contain a memory function, you will be required to demonstrate to the examiners that the memory is blank.
You may NOT use the calculator built into a cell phone.

From Las Vegas, take 160 to the third stop light in Pahrump. This is Basin Street.
Turn right (east) and go up to Floyd St. This is the street where the court house and Sheriffs Office is on the left corner.
Turn left (north) on to Floyd and follow it around to the left to the Emergency Operations Center, which will be on your right. Look for the yellow sign on the chain link fence next to the gate that says "Radio Exams Here Today"

Hope to see some of you there!

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #147
bplv
uber Member

I did get antenna installed on the truck. Definitely not the best job with the soldering, but it functions. Checked it to make sure there was no path between center conductor and the shield. Also checked that it was grounded well to the body.

I'm finding that the task of programming the radio takes a few trial and error runs to work on naming and grouping. I finally put it all in a spreadsheet. I had 6 characters to work with on name and 128 channels. I couldn't find anyone posting their listing, so maybe this will help someone else get started. Suggestions welcome.

http://bit.ly/zEllxM

Not sure why Pahrump has so many repeaters?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #148
bplv
uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYECOGunsmith View Post
Congrats again. Drop me a note when you get a rig and we'll arrange a time/frequency for a on the air meet up.

We ought to start a regular NV Shooters Net, for all the HAMS here, could be one on one of the linked repeater networks like the one on top of Mt. Potosi for those who lack an HF rig, and one on 10,20,40 or 80 meters for those who do have HF capability.

A weekly check in in the evening should work for most folks, right?

Those with only a Technician class license, but who have a HF rig can join in on the 10 meter band if we select a frequency between 28.300 MHz and 28.500 MHz since they do have privileges in that portion of the 10 meter band.

Although 10 meters usually has limited propagation (short distance contacts, up to about 500 miles or so), at the moment it is enjoying some extremely good propagation, with contacts spanning the hemisphere.

Again, congrats and 73's.

KE7KHE
Still interested in this? Now I do have a rig. :-)
Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #149
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplv View Post
Still interested in this? Now I do have a rig. :-)
Sure thing.

What type of rig do you have?

2 meter capable?

If so we can arrange a time to make contact via the Potosi repeater.
146.880 (-) PL100, or if that one has too much traffic, the 146.790 (-) PL100 machine will work also.

Just let me know. Might get Geo to dial in also if he's around. Tophog doesn't have a radio yet as far as I know.

There are a number of repeaters in Pahrump because there are nearly 400 licensed HAMS in this valley.

Some of them have their own repeaters, and the clubs usually have one or two each.

The club I am president of "Southern Nye County ARES/RACES®" has 5, but only 3 are currently on the air. One is awaiting repair or replacement, and one is awaiting installation as soon as we get permission from the land owner to install our antenna and tower.

Steve, KE7KHE

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #150
bplv
uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYECOGunsmith View Post
What type of rig do you have?

2 meter capable?

If so we can arrange a time to make contact via the Potosi repeater.
146.880 (-) PL100, or if that one has too much traffic, the 146.790 (-) PL100 machine will work also.

Just let me know. Might get Geo to dial in also if he's around. Tophog doesn't have a radio yet as far as I know.
Wouxun Handheld.. 2m & 70cm capable. I was able to open those repeaters but haven't spoken with anyone on them yet so I'm not aware of my signal quality yet. I'm an 8-5er at work, so evenings are better.