Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Hand Guns

Notices

Hand Guns Semi-autos, revolvers...post it here.

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2017, 08:30 PM   #21
Teresa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

A lot of the problems with Glock is the lack of getting a good grip on a stock one, really wish they would improve that. Again, with proper training and some non-permanent mods, I've found very few women who can't. I think it's a male macho thing that women can't rack slides or handle heavy trigger pulls.
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:53 PM   #22
mbogo
Bwana Mkubwa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
I think it's a male macho thing that women can't rack slides or handle heavy trigger pulls.
That's bull****. I watched her with my own eyes and she told me how difficult it was to do those tasks.

Could she build up strength? Sure. Will she? I don't know.

Do I have a vested interest in all this? Other than getting another person into shooting and thinking about taking more responsibility for her personal safety, no.

mbogo
mbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:12 AM   #23
Glocksterpaulie
The Perfectionist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I have trained hundreds of women over the past 30 years on a Glock and quite a few of them can run it better than most men.

Paulie
Glocksterpaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:24 AM   #24
Felid'Maximus
Beware of Cat

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

You said you would have her try your S&W model 15. If that works, great. Maybe even move up. My mom, who weighs 110 lbs, finds shooting my S&W 620 pleasurable. I think an 8 shot N frame would be even better. I would not try a smaller .38 than the S&W model 15. I'm a guy and personally a J-frame .38 is too much recoil for me. If the pull is too difficult and you still want to try a DA revolver, I recommend trying the Colt Pocket Positive in .32 S&W long.

It has mild recoil and noise compared to a .38, and mild noise compared to a .22 magnum. With Fiocchi FMJ ammo it generates suitable penetration. The Colt has a smaller trigger pull reach than modern S&W revolvers which are apparently designed for men with medium or larger hands. While I can shoot an S&W revolver, I personally feel even an S&W J-frame has too long of a trigger pull reach to be ideal for me. (It is obvious to me they are designed around men with medium to large hands). The pocket positive also, IMO, has an easier trigger pull in DA than a .22 caliber revolver.

Unfortunately, even the Colt has a heavy trigger. That's just the downside of a DA revolver.

But a single action revolver (including a DA/SA gun used only in that mode) is still a lot better than nothing.

( NOTE: The colt pocket positive is DA/SA but should NOT be shot in Single Action IMO. You can get a NASTY cut on your trigger finger if you try to cock the hammer on the old Colt and slip...)

Quote:
That's bull****. I watched her with my own eyes and she told me how difficult it was to do those tasks.

Could she build up strength? Sure. Will she? I don't know.

Do I have a vested interest in all this? Other than getting another person into shooting and thinking about taking more responsibility for her personal safety, no.

mbogo
Well, in my experience as a firearms instructor for most women the problem is in technique, not in strength.

Common problems:
1. They do not use enough pressure on the slide or grip. They are afraid to break it.
2. They grip the slide with only two or three fingers rather than using a good grip. (Probably because that's how the buff dude trying to tell her how to do it does it.)
3. They do not push forward with the grip hand, but instead try to pull with the slide hand.
4. They do not orient their arms with their body in a position to give them maximum strength.

Also, not all slides are equally stiff. A Walther PK380 has a much easier to rack slide than a S&W shield9 or a PPK. Also for those who hate racking slides, they sell semi-autos with tip-up barrels... such as the Beretta 86, 21A, 3032, 950.

While I have not had a lot of women in my classes, all of them have been able to rack the slide on the semi-auto firearm they brought or one that I had them to rack in order to pass the "I know how to unload a gun" test. And that includes extremely petite ladies and old ladies with hand conditions, arthritis, etc., that make it impossible to pull a trigger that a normal person could easily pull.

With proper slide manipulation instruction, I find it more likely that a person with weak hands can properly operate the semi-auto than the trigger on a double action revolver. For those persons not inclined to receive such instruction a single action revolver may be easier to use. It is better than nothing.

Since you indicate she is unwilling to spend enough time to learn how to use a semi-auto, that's really the only thing I think that stands in her way of using one.

Also, if she is going to use a revolver in single action, the need to manually decock the hammer is a potential problem.
Felid'Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:20 AM   #25
Felid'Maximus
Beware of Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbogo View Post
jmano,s
That's what I was thinking.

A DA/SA revolver is damned near idiot proof. The trick will be finding one with a DA trigger pull she can manage. I'll give her snap caps and try to inculcate safe dry-firing practices.

Teresa,
She couldn't pull the slide back on an uncocked Glock 23 or a Springfield XDS. She can rack the slide on a SiG 938, and 1911s only IF the hammer is locked back first. She had a couple of unintentional double-taps with the autoloaders, and I have concerns about her limp-wristing a Tupperware gun

mbogo
My mom can rack the slide on her Kel-Tec P32. The Kel-Tec P32 also has a trigger that is stiff enough to rule out unitentional double taps while being considerably easier than a DA revolver trigger. There are 3 kel-tec P32 handguns in my family and so far I have not seen one malfunction. That said, I personally clean and lube the guns.

If no one is going to be lubing it, that does weigh in favor of the revolver option.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:28 AM   #26
Felid'Maximus
Beware of Cat

I also wouldn't rule out trying the LCR in .327 loaded with .32 S&W long or the .22 LR or .22 magnum versions. The LCR has a different enough trigger pull that it might work for her whereas others fail.

I'd personally skip the .38 though.

My Chiappa Rhino 200D also has a very different trigger pull which some people have told me is easier for them than others. That said, I'd skip the .40. The .38 might be light enough in recoil, I don't know... mine is a .40 and I load super weak reloads much softer than available commercially to make it tolerable for me. I also think the Chiappa trigger pull reach is worse than the S&W.

That said, I had a lady in one of my CCW classes say she was going to get a Chiappa when she tried mine after finding the S&W trigger too hard for her. She was also okay with the 40 recoil she said but she fired less than 2 cylinders. I *can* shoot the full power loads out of the gun... but I can't *stand* to shoot them.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:14 PM   #27
mbogo
Bwana Mkubwa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I'll have to look around for an LCR. I've never handled one myself.

Thanks,
mbogo
mbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:47 AM   #28
Cirdan
uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbogo View Post
I'll have to look around for an LCR. I've never handled one myself.

Thanks,
mbogo
I had one, in .38. Hated the thing, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Sold it and got a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum. Almost as accurate with it as I am with my semi's.

If recoil's a concern, a semi-auto will absorb more than any revolver will. Some, like the Glocks are (my opinion) every bit as reliable as a revolver and easy to clean.

For those having trouble racking the slide:
https://www.amazon.com/Handi-Racker-...01BFMD9TU?th=1
https://www.usacarry.com/racking-pis...ent-technique/
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/han...i-auto-slides/
Windham SRC, H&R Pardner Pump
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:49 AM   #29
Cujo
IFFF CCI

My vote would be a S&W 640 (38 spl) with a trigger job. Don't go with a lightweight frame which will have a bit more recoil. Chamber with a mild load. Custom grips can be found small enough to even fit in Gullwing's hands :