Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > How To's

Notices

How To's Tips, Tutorials, How-To's and more. Post 'em here!

User Tag List

Old 11-12-2017, 03:01 AM   #851
Dusty
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
That's kinda like asking others what type of gun to buy. Or what brand oil you should use in your car.

But first decide by the features you want. For an example, I only work full QSK CW. If a radio won't do full QSK I will not even look at it, regardless of all other features.

Other hams might hate using QSK.

I wonder if anybody these days takes the time to learn CW. Seems everybody on CW is my age or older these days. CW used to be a requirement, even for the tech & novice class.

BTW, I am leaving on an RV trip tomorrow to southern AZ, around Tombstone. I have my 40M CW stuff all in the RV already, including a portable vertical dipole for 40 & 30m.

Oh, I almost forgot to say congratulations!

73, -Don- AA6GA, Auburn, CA
Than You! I have no desire to use cw. But it would be a good tool to learn. I'm mainly looking to transmit mobile to mobile. I want a transceiver in My jeep as well. I was stranded last year on the mountain in My jeep. Thank goodness I had cell service in that spot. I really know nothing about transceivers. My Dad has been a ham for a few years now. I plan on picking his brain. I have so much to learn.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:27 AM   #852
DonTom
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Than You! I have no desire to use cw. But it would be a good tool to learn. I'm mainly looking to transmit mobile to mobile. I want a transceiver in My jeep as well. I was stranded last year on the mountain in My jeep. Thank goodness I had cell service in that spot. I really know nothing about transceivers. My Dad has been a ham for a few years now. I plan on picking his brain. I have so much to learn.
The very best thing you can do, when you need a tow, is get a Spot Messenger and subscribe to their towing service. Press a button and a tow truck comes. Don't need to be in range of anything other than sky.

See here.

I will not leave home without my Spot Messenger. At least not for more than a few miles.

I would NOT rely on ham radio for anything useful. Think of it as mostly a hobby, but with some rare exceptions.

BTW, I also have an inReach. I can send and receive text messages to E-mails accounts form anywhere--even in the middle of the ocean.

Ham radio is unreliable, in most cases, compared to many other methods available today. But it's a great hobby.

And if you do take the time to learn CW well, expect to get hooked on it. There are many hams who won't touch a mic.

73, -Don- AA6GA, Auburn, CA
DonTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:13 AM   #853
lonerider
Obsessed Member

A great mobile radio is the Yaesu 8900. Recommended by Nyecounty Gunsmith himself. It is a 2 meter 440 rig with the addition of 6 and 10 meters. It also has cross band capability which is an asset if you are hiking away from your vehicle. They have come down in price to about $330, sometimes less on sale. They were double that. Get a good antenna and mount and you are set. 1/2 wave is ideal. Get a Yaesu FT 160 hand held to compliment the system. This is the best bang for the buck. Do not get a TYT copy. I did that. It failed. They would not honor the warranty. They wanted me to send it back to China. That cost more than the radio. Yaesu is all over the USA with factory outlets.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:19 AM   #854
Tophog
Biker Trailer Trash

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Congrats!

Bob
KF7TOE

USN gunner, '76-'80.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government IS the problem!" Ronald Reagan

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
(H.L. Mencken, the Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920)

ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)
Tophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #855
Dusty
Obsessed Member

Thank You all, and thank you for the info.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #856
Dusty
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophog View Post
Congrats!

Bob
KF7TOE
Bob, I can send up smoke signals from My house and You could read them from Yours!
Old 11-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #857
iweb
Ham Radio Operator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Congrats Dusty! Let me know if you want to meet and talk radio, I know you have a bazillion questions and if I can't answer them I know who can!

I may have a lead on a couple of mobile radios for sale in Pahrump.
iweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #858
Dusty
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iweb View Post
Congrats Dusty! Let me know if you want to meet and talk radio, I know you have a bazillion questions and if I can't answer them I know who can!

I may have a lead on a couple of mobile radios for sale in Pahrump.
Thank you! Interested in the mobiles.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:15 AM   #859
iweb
Ham Radio Operator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Still waiting to get info about the mobile radios, I reminded him again too.
iweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:40 AM   #860
Dusty
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iweb View Post
Still waiting to get info about the mobile radios, I reminded him again too.
No worries, Its all good.