Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Curios & Relics

Notices

Curios & Relics 50+ years old, historically significant, or collector's firearms

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2017, 12:40 AM   #1
Koyote
Koyote

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Winchester 1894

Halloween was a day late, or rather Channukah was two months early. I bought this Winchester 1894 Rifle, with an OCTAGON BARREL! not a carbine, mfg. in 1908. It is a .30 WCF cal. or for you olde timers, a "thuty, thuty" (.30-.30). It is 44 1/4" long that is why no picture of the whole thing at one time. Some parts are in great shape, others questionable, but I believe it to be still shootable. Barrel inside is good, outside looked like it was refinished and it turned to a weird purple-lavender colour. I had planned on making up a customized 1894 and this one is perfect for redoing. New wood stocks, new shorter barrel? All metal parts to be Color Case Hardened. Great project for me in 2018!*After lots of comments on FB will keep the longer plum coloured barrel. Was told olde bluing turns a plum colour! :O
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LS Receiver.jpg (95.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg LS Oct Barrel.jpg (93.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg RS Oct Barrel.jpg (84.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Model 1894 Winchester TM.jpg (94.6 KB, 37 views)
Koyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:00 AM   #2
Gullwing
1911 pistolsmith

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

If you have any questions ask Nyeco, he should be able to tell you if those are all the parts he originally assembled it with.

Nice rifle
Old 11-02-2017, 02:20 AM   #3
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullwing View Post
If you have any questions ask Nyeco, he should be able to tell you if those are all the parts he originally assembled it with.

Nice rifle
Was beginning to think you had forgotten about me!

Old bluing definitely turns plum colored with age, and you might want to have it appraised before you do anything to it, even the most common 1894 with the octagon barrel, in only 10% condition is worth about $850-$1,000 these days, and some of them in just 70% are worth $2,220 and up, with one in 98% condition being worth about $7k.

A take down version adds 20-25% to the above, and if this were a deluxe rifle in only 10% it would fetch around $1,500.

PS, if you take the butt stock off, you can tell exactly which month I assembled it in, 1 tooth mark for January, 2 for February, and so on, by the time December 1908 rolled around I was really hungry and some stocks left the factory with just a sliver of wood left............

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:22 AM   #4
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Can't tell positively from the pictures ,but looks to be in pretty decent shape, but I believe it has been refinished at some point in time, as the action and the barrel should be almost identical in color, and it doesn't have much in the way of wear or scratches that I can see on the action, mag tube, barrel, lever, or stock and forearm.

Nice looking rifle, congrats!

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:57 AM   #5
Koyote
Koyote

Thank you Nyeco...

Purchased for $725 + tax.

The receiver looks almost new. The barrel of course much older.

One tiny rust spot on bottom of magazine.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:37 AM   #6
pick_six
Adjusting to the west!

Very nice rifle.

But curious, did you set your default to the english/canadian setup? Colour? ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Halloween was a day late, or rather Channukah was two months early. I bought this Winchester 1894 Rifle, with an OCTAGON BARREL! not a carbine, mfg. in 1908. It is a .30 WCF cal. or for you olde timers, a "thuty, thuty" (.30-.30). It is 44 1/4" long that is why no picture of the whole thing at one time. Some parts are in great shape, others questionable, but I believe it to be still shootable. Barrel inside is good, outside looked like it was refinished and it turned to a weird purple-lavender colour. I had planned on making up a customized 1894 and this one is perfect for redoing. New wood stocks, new shorter barrel? All metal parts to be Color Case Hardened. Great project for me in 2018!*After lots of comments on FB will keep the longer plum coloured barrel. Was told olde bluing turns a plum colour! :O
pick_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:03 AM   #7
shortmanlonggun
old dog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Congrats, nice piece of history. I don`t think I could resist loading that magazine at least a time or two.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:48 AM   #8
Koyote
Koyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick_six View Post
Very nice rifle.

But curious, did you set your default to the english/canadian setup? Colour? ;)
I wrote in Olde Englisch as FOREVER KNIGHT, Vampyre. :[ VvvvV ^V^
Old 11-02-2017, 05:50 AM   #9
Gullwing
1911 pistolsmith

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYECOGunsmith View Post
Was beginning to think you had forgotten about me!
Never, but careful what you wish for!
Old 11-04-2017, 04:26 AM   #10
Koyote
Koyote

I have taken my rifle into to two diff LGS. In one, the owner wanted my rifle as did the local smithy.
In the other, the smithy said that the two holes on left side of receiver were for a scope mount, that had been drilled into it. He is going to figure out the size of thread and if necessary, cut down some screws to fit in the holes.
He also said the so called patina was due to poor bluing, chemical imbalance and/or incorrect temp. :( Other small parts look newer, possibly replacement parts. However, the receiver is in good shape as is the barrel.
Still debating about getting some new parts for it. Will keep the olde ones of course! Ah, decisions, decisions.