Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Commercial Sponsors > Roger Phillips > Fight Focused Concepts

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Roger Phillips
Fight Focused Concepts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Thumbs Forward/Locked Wrist Grip (New)

March 11, 2018
Thumbs Forward/Locked Wrist Grip

By Roger Phillips, Owner and Operator of Fight Focused Concepts

The grip that I am going to be discussing in this article is nothing new. It has been around for a while, has been taught by some of the best Instructors in the world, used by many of the very best Competitors in the world, who have in turn taught it to the very best Fighters in the world. While it is nothing new, I have found that a very large percentage of my student base does not know about this grip or if they do know about it, they are not using it to its full potential. It really is this “not using it to its full potential” that this article is all about.

The place where I made a name for myself has been about advancing the art in regards to the reactive gunfight. That was my focus for years, well after putting years of study into the proactive gunfight using Col. Copper’s Modern Technique. After bringing the reactive gunfighting pieces of the puzzle up to a decent level and witnessing the world around us changing, my focus switched to a seamless integration of high level reactive and proactive gunfighting. I started teaching handgun course that were geared towards high level, fight focused, sight fire skill sets. While teaching one of these course in June of 2015, I overheard a couple of very advanced guys discuss the fact the they were getting flyers on their third or fourth shot. This surprised me because I had not noticed that problem and did not know there was an issue. Since this course was a small advanced course I thought it was a perfect time to try to work shop some stuff that I had heard and seen from some of the top Instructors and Competitors in the world. As soon as the three of us started using these grip enhancements, the groups tightened up significantly and the flyers went away. To a man……all three of us improved substantially within minutes.

Since then, I have been studying, using, and teaching this thumbs forward/lock wrist grip. Every time I work with the grip I learn something new. I identify something that I had not identified before and I make connections that I had not made before. This is a very important fact that people need to understand. There is a true learning progression to this grip and just because you were taught it once before, you simply may not be getting all of the benefits out of the grip because you may not be taking it as far as it can be taken, both physically, mentally, and intellectually.

Read much more here.
"Situations dictate strategy, strategy dictate tactics, and tactics dictate techniques......techniques should not dictate anything."
Roger Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote