Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > General Conversation

Notices

General Conversation The place to discuss topics NOT firearm related. ** Make sure the topic in question does not belong in another section before posting. **

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #1
Ron_O
Self-Extracted

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New Owners, New Site, New Suggestions?!!

OK I know the guys are going to have their hands full in upgrading the site, and thanks in advance for making it happen! NS will be down on Monday for upgrades.

As a person who's developed several sites over the years, it's always nice to know in advance which way to go with changes and developments. It's much more efficient to do things in advance rather than try to change them afterward.

I'm sure the guys already have some great ideas for the upgrades they'll be making, but just to cover some of the bases how about some THOUGHTFUL suggestions of what you'd like to see?

I myself an perfectly happy with the site as it is. Truly am. Can improvement be made? You bet. So I'll put forward a couple of suggestions and then maybe you can as well.

A> I'd love to have a 'LIKE' button for the posts of others. Keep it simple.

B> I'd love the mods to have the ability to enact a simple timeout for members as needed, with choices of days, weeks, or a month, as they see fit. I'd also like to see them be able to block a member for just a single thread rather than the entire site, for any appropriate length of time. Some people get involved in discussions that just don't gel with them!

C> Not a site issue, but how about an official hat and t-shirt for NS members, with a dedicated thread?

D> As posted in a poll, how about some reps who can speak publically for our views as gun owners in Nevada?

That's about it on my end. How about you all?!!

Congrats again and good luck with the changes and upgrades!
Ron_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:16 AM   #2
desertrunner
uber Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I am a loyal member here and also the owner of xxxxxx, not to be confused with CalGuns, a crappy site. Calshooters is slow to dead, but I would like to please reach out with you and work together. I think we can do some good and support each other.

Also, I am not a computer programmer, but I like the VBulleting 3.8 format and the current format you are using. A couple of years ago, GlockTalk went to some more modern format and I think it sucked. Maybe you could please keep this format and program instead of some new exotic programming that will suck. GlockTalk sure tanked with the upgrade.

Also, please work on the organization of the new sections. Right now, there are so many sub sections all scatered all over. It would help if the sections were related and properly sectioned off.

Lastly, I really like how the members on this board are nice to each other. There are no personal attacks, trolling or harassment like at CalGuns. Please keep up the good work and the moral here. This place is nice to come, participate and not be screwed with.

Last edited by titanNV; 01-20-2018 at 06:18 PM. Reason: advertising another site
desertrunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #3
Dusty
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
Calshooters is slow to dead

Man, Your not kidding. I took a trip over there to look around. With over 14,000 members and nothing is going on.
Dusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
FightForYourRight(s)
Nevada ftw

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

I'm not trying to make any personal attacks here or start anything here, but am I the only one who sees some irony in a California resident who is trying to promote a dead California shooting forum while repeatedly trashing a Nevada county that he doesn't live in, in a state he doesn't live in?

I personally see no value in Nevadashooters being associated with a dead forum specifically for Californians. As we all know, Calguns is largely overrun with the typical California gun owner's mindset, that they're ok having some gun rights, but happily make excuses for losing some of the most important ones. I don't that that mentality is specific to Calguns, I think it is representative of California as a whole, and I don't see how bringing that mentality here to this forum helps us in any way. That mentality is toxic even in small doses, and quite frankly I don't want to see it on Nevadashooters at all. As Ron_O has posited in the past, if members of the media and such are perusing this forum and find repeated posts by gun control apologists here, they will latch on to that and make this site look bad as a result. I think that's exactly what would happen if California residents are encouraged in numbers to participate in this forum.

As a percentage, I think Nevada residents are MUCH more interested in fighting for their rights, on forums and otherwise, and I don't see how that is compatible with California. It is called Nevadashooters, after all. I personally am not really interested in a website called Cal-Neva shooters.

I would much rather see genuinely pro-gun folks move here, then participate on this forum and make it the best it can be. Participate in the many discussions related to our gun rights and overall freedoms, and contribute ideas and thoughts and opinions on how to make it better. I personally don't see any value in California residents repeatedly trashing parts of this state from afar.

I might be the only person saying it, but I bet I'm not the only person thinking it.
FightForYourRight(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
Nevada Hudson
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=FightForYourRight(s);678704]I'm not trying to make any personal attacks here or start anything here, but am I the only one who sees some irony in a California resident who is trying to promote a dead California shooting forum while repeatedly trashing a Nevada county that he doesn't live in, in a state he doesn't live in?

I personally see no value in Nevadashooters being associated with a dead forum specifically for Californians. As we all know, Calguns is largely overrun with the typical California gun owner's mindset, that they're ok having some gun rights, but happily make excuses for losing some of the most important ones. I don't that that mentality is specific to Calguns, I think it is representative of California as a whole, and I don't see how bringing that mentality here to this forum helps us in any way. That mentality is toxic even in small doses, and quite frankly I don't want to see it on Nevadashooters at all. As Ron_O has posited in the past, if members of the media and such are perusing this forum and find repeated posts by gun control apologists here, they will latch on to that and make this site look bad as a result. I think that's exactly what would happen if California residents are encouraged in numbers to participate in this forum.

As a percentage, I think Nevada residents are MUCH more interested in fighting for their rights, on forums and otherwise, and I don't see how that is compatible with California. It is called Nevadashooters, after all. I personally am not really interested in a website called Cal-Neva shooters.

I would much rather see genuinely pro-gun folks move here, then participate on this forum and make it the best it can be. Participate in the many discussions related to our gun rights and overall freedoms, and contribute ideas and thoughts and opinions on how to make it better. I personally don't see any value in California residents repeatedly trashing parts of this state from afar.

I might be the only person saying it, but I bet I'm not the only person thinking it.[/QUOT

++++++++
Nevada Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
Mr. B
Very Active Member

I like the fact that the top item on the main screen is "New Member Introductions".

I think that does a lot to set a friendly and welcoming tone.

The areas I think should be the first ones on the list are:

New Member Introductions - to see if people are in my part of NV, or are escaping the part of CA that I escaped from - because those are the people who I can be most helpful to.

Events - I'd also like to see this divided into regions within the state - at least "North" and "South", if not more (probably not more than four regions of NV) - and an out of state events section. I would check it more often if it were displayed more prominently - it's currently way down on the screen.

RKBA - For obvious reasons.

General Firearms Discussion - Because of its catch-all nature, it tends to have active threads, some of which I will follow or participate in.

General Conversation - Because it's nice to be able to talk about things that aren't gun-specific with people who are not hoplophobic, making this a community, and not just a gun owning/shooting clubhouse.

RKBA - For obvious reasons.

General Firearms Discussion - Because of its catch-all nature, it tends to have active threads, some of which I will follow or participate in.

"The Range and Training" really seems like it should be in two categories, "Range Information", where members share questions about, and experiences at, various ranges int he state (and nearby), and "Training Opportunities" where members share opportunities, questions about, and experiences with, various training courses. It might even be subdivided into CCW, Basic Skills, Tactical, etc.
The broad way that "The Range and Training" is currently set up leaves an opening for it to cannibalize posts about "Events".

Then the other sections of the Armory.

Everything else could follow those in the current order. I know that some people see the buying/selling area as a main draw, so it might come above other things, but it's not a section I frequent, so I think of it as the classified ads - which are traditionally in the back of the paper/magazine.
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
Mr. B
Very Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForYourRight(s) View Post
As a percentage, I think Nevada residents are MUCH more interested in fighting for their rights, on forums and otherwise, and I don't see how that is compatible with California. It is called Nevadashooters, after all.
While gun owners are a persecuted minority in California, they tend to realize that their rights are under attack, and so many of them are less complacent and more active.

A fair number of California residents also travel to Nevada in order to shoot. If they do so, doesn't that make them "Nevada Shooters"? Would you agree that they might have a legitimate interest in keeping abreast of NV gun laws and proposed gun laws, range and event information (and rules and etiquette for shooting on BLM land), information about good places to buy ammunition and accessories, etc.? I've had friends from CA come up for shooting visits, and more have talked to me about doing so in the future.

Some of them are even looking for a place to move where they can enjoy their 2nd Amendment rights, and may be looking to see if NV is that place, or if they need to look beyond the Silver State - shouldn't they also be welcomed here (not asking for them to be specifically catered to, just treated as legitimate members)?
Old 01-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #8
Mr. B
Very Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_O View Post

C> Not a site issue, but how about an official hat and t-shirt for NS members, with a dedicated thread?
I agree. Hats, T-shirts, patches, bumper stickers, etc. can be a (probably small) source of income for the site, but also help to market the site and drive traffic.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #9
Dusty
Obsessed Member

And this one gets locked up in 3,2,....
Dusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #10
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default New Owners, New Site, New Suggestions?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
And this one gets locked up in 3,2,....

I'm not going to lock it, but having a thread about "New Ownership" of the board devolve into loving or hating Californians based in their political attitudes pretty much rests my case about non-2A politics. :-)