Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > Our Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Notices

Our Right to Keep and Bear Arms The place to discuss all gun rights issues, pro-gun/anti-gun legislation and general Second Amendment topics. All other topics will be locked.

View Poll Results: Should we develop a team to represent our best interests?
Yes, it's a great idea, let's speak out for Nevada gun owners! 11 47.83%
Perhaps press releases but no spokesperson! 2 8.70%
I'd prefer that we continue to fly under the radar! 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #1
Ron_O
Self-Extracted

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up POLL: Should we develop a team for public relations and promotions?

It kills me when something like Question 1 comes up, or something like the Mandalay Bay shooting, or ATF changing the rules on bump stocks, or we have elected officials who come out against the 2A, and we have no one in Nevada to represent our best interests as gun owners and supporters of the 2nd Amendment.

I believe Nevada Shooters is the foremost group of gun enthusiasts in the state, yet we have no public voice. and even tons of gun owners have no idea that we exist! NO ONE seems to have a voice other than an occasional blurb by an NRA rep or NVFAC member or similar.

How come? Why don't we have someone who can be the go-to guy or gal or team on behalf of Nevada Shooters, someone the media can call for positions on different gun related matters? Someone who political candidates can seek out for endorsements?

My idea would be to develop a small team of spokesmen who perhaps have different areas of expertise who can do a press release or interview on important matters. Perhaps even sponsor local rallies or events.

Should we develop a team? Issue press releases on our positions? Continue to fly under the radar?

One example of expanding this thought would be to post signs at area public shooting sites, for example, or to develop t-shirts for our members, and similar things.

How about a logo t-shirt, "Nevada Shooters: Supporting the 2nd Amendment one round at a time!" ? We can think of all sorts of things to put on a shirt. I'd buy several!

Take the poll and add your thoughts, pro or con or altogether different. Since we're changing ownership then maybe we can take a big swing at the ball. I know we have plenty of qualified members who can best represent the face of Nevada gun owners statewide. Perhaps a north and south team would be most practical. I'd prefer to see both men and women on the team!

Our voice could go nationwide if we stay grounded in our presentations!

YOUR VOTE IS PRIVATE AND ANONYMOUS!
Ron_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
5.56 AP

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Yes, a well educated, well spoken (well dressed) representative to offer our viewpoint publicly. Give the media an alternative to that Gun Store guy.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
Ron_O
Self-Extracted

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56 AP View Post
Yes, a well educated, well spoken (well dressed) representative to offer our viewpoint publicly. Give the media an alternative to that Gun Store guy.
What????

You mean no backwoods, camo-laden, off-the-grid, dope smoking, confederate flag waving, toothless, inbred, militia warriors? But we HAVE TO fill the stereotype for the haters, don't we? If not, who will listen?!!

When we were pulling security detail after Hurricane Harvey in Houston for Oath Keepers, Stewart Rhodes was pretty sensitive about image and INSISTED that no one wear camo of any kind!

Takes all the fun out of it!
Ron_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #4
5.56 AP

Appearances matter, who’d of thunk.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #5
jfrey123
I aim to misbehave...

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default POLL: Should we develop a team for public relations and promotions?

Interesting idea. But also recognize it puts our forum out for scrutiny. If we start to weigh in on issues beyond our own realms, we invite scrutiny from outsiders too.

I am not comfortable with non-admins speaking for this site publicly.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #6
garand_guy
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

My experience with the absolute flood in media requests after Mandalay Bay is that it is pointless to talk to the media. I referred everyone to Don at NVFAC. So I'd say donate to them to get a small video/media relations unit together.

A lot of the interview requests I got were from international or national sources and they aren't reaching Nevada voters too. I think I've called out the LVRJ and local TV enough that they wouldn't call me if I personally stopped a mass shooter, etc.

As for local news, they have their favorites or will present us they way the wish. We don't need another voice saying "Blah blah blah, doesn't represent gun owners." They will find Butter's Tactical to go on TV and say how bump fire and black rifles are evil. A shill will be found or the voices of reason will be ignored.

Local TV news viewers who use that as a primary source of news for matters of importance are too ignorant to be swayed by any one of us.

I posit that Bob Irwin was gone to so much was that The Gun Store was easy to find in the phone book, he put himself out there to talk, and he provided the drive-by media friendly butter/fudd opinion. Even if they claim they are going to be doing "honest" "journalism," they will straight up lie to your face.
Cindy at Fox 5 (Tactical Assault Pants) is a good example of this. She totally lied to me and misrepresented her purpose.

So don't bother. Reach the individual who wants to listen and learn. We've made huge strides in Nevada in the past few years. Not to brag, but I do have a brand a platform that is intended to put out good information to the public.

I think that had Nevada Carry been more of a household name in Nevada we could have gotten a more truthful picture out to people. Problem is, I'm one guy with a low budget.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #7
Mr. B
Very Active Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Membership organizations (NRA, local gun club, NVFAC?) have a process where such representatives are either elected, or selected by the elected leaders.

Businesses (gun shops, NS, etc.) have owners, employees, or representatives designated by the owners/managers to deal with the media.
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #8
5.56 AP

Not much "Stand and Fight" around here is there.

Yes, obviously it would have to be someone selected by the site owners. No one else is authorized to speak on NVS behalf. An actual PIO.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:53 PM   #9
FightForYourRight(s)
Nevada ftw

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
Interesting idea. But also recognize it puts our forum out for scrutiny. If we start to weigh in on issues beyond our own realms, we invite scrutiny from outsiders too.

I am not comfortable with non-admins speaking for this site publicly.
I agree with this. We have zero presence in any kind of public speaking fashion now. Nobody is seeking out an opinion or statement from Nevadashooters, and frankly I don't think anyone will. This is a discussion forum, not an interest group or a site/organization involved in any change, regulatory or otherwise. I can't see why anyone in the media would seek out this site's opinion or look for a statement on any issue. I can't think of any other discussion forum that the media seeks comment from.

This site works well as a discussion forum and a means for people to connect and discuss the things relevant to us and our rights. I don't think it needs to be any more than that.
FightForYourRight(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:03 PM   #10
Mr. B
Very Active Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

In a certain nearby state, there is an internet forum that shares a name with a non-profit pro-2A foundation.

The forum is full of trolls and people attacking each other, often expressing a desire to take others' 2A rights as long as the poster gets to keep their own.

The non-profit foundation works to protect the 2A.

The non-profit foundation has representatives that show up for media interviews, panel debates, etc. - they are articulate and well dressed. They are careful to make sure that they bring up the fact that "gun control" laws almost always hurt the poor and minorities the most. They don't look, act, or speak like "Bubba the redneck gun nut".

The shared name allows the organizations to be mutually supporting, but keeps the foundation from being intrinsically linked to the rhetoric on the forum.
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote