Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Weapons Discussions > General Weapons Discussion

Notices

General Weapons Discussion Discuss general firearms related topics, buying experiences, weapons reviews and more.

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2018, 08:19 AM   #1
QuicheErrday
uber n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Looking for a cardboard box to ship a longarm in Vegas. Also Mossberg Advice.

So I bought a used early 90's manufacture Mossberg 500 from a LGS and it was in pretty rough shape, lots of exterior wear and tons of internal gunk. It wasn't too expensive and being my first shotgun I thought it'd be a fun project.

I shot it a bunch but I'd get stuck cases in the chamber occasionally or even regularly with hot loaded buckshot or slugs. I cleaned it a few times (lacking a bore-brush, just with a bore snake) and the bore still looks pretty bad, from what I'm reading online it could be plastic build up from waddings in the bore.

I ordered a shotgun cleaning kit but before it arrived I was taking the gun apart again, and when I put it back together I messed up somehow. I somehow pushed the bolt too far forward and one of the extractors seemed to engage with the barrel and got stuck. After messing around with it for a few minutes I got impatient and decided taking the barrel off may be a good idea but doing that I only was able to move the barrel half and inch and now everything is jammed up good. The bolt and extractor is still stuck on the barrel but the barrel is no longer mated to the receiver and won't either go back on or come off completely, everything is just deciding to not move. I have the trigger assembly, elevator, and pins in a plastic bag and the rest of the shotgun has been stuck like this for at least a month. The bolt that holds the barrel into the magazine is not screwed in and it' won't screw in nor can I pull the barrel away.

I was planning on changing the two extractors as well as the two extractor springs, giving the bore and especially the chamber a thorough cleaning, and also changing out the magazine spring to hopefully bring it to like new functioning. Now though I'm thinking of sending in my shotgun to Mossberg to see if they can figure it all out and maybe change the parts I was looking to replace while they're at it.

Does anyone know where I could find an appropriate box to ship it? I've already checked Home Depot, The Container Store, and a ton of dumpsters behind strip malls all with no luck. I found a place online but it was like $35 for a pack of 5 rifle boxes and I don't want to spend that much or get that many boxes.
QuicheErrday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
Ron_O
Self-Extracted

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuicheErrday View Post
So I bought a used early 90's manufacture Mossberg 500 from a LGS and it was in pretty rough shape, lots of exterior wear and tons of internal gunk. It wasn't too expensive and being my first gun I thought it'd be a fun project.

I shot it a bunch but I'd get stuck cases in the chamber occasionally or even regularly with hot loaded buckshot or slugs. I cleaned it a few times (lacking a bore-brush, just with a bore snake) and the bore still looks pretty bad, from what I'm reading online it could be plastic build up from waddings in the bore.

I ordered a shotgun cleaning kit but before it arrived I was taking the gun apart again, and when I put it back together I messed up somehow. I somehow pushed the bolt too far forward and one of the extractors seemed to engage with the barrel and got stuck. After messing around with it for a few minutes I got impatient and decided taking the barrel off may be a good idea but doing that I only was able to move the barrel half and inch and now everything is jammed up good. The bolt and extractor is still stuck on the barrel but the barrel is no longer mated to the receiver and won't either go back on or come off completely, everything is just deciding to not move. I have the trigger assembly, elevator, and pins in a plastic bag and the rest of the shotgun has been stuck like this for at least a month. The bolt that holds the barrel into the magazine is not screwed in and it' won't screw in nor can I pull the barrel away.

I was planning on changing the two extractors as well as the two extractor springs, giving the bore and especially the chamber a thorough cleaning, and also changing out the magazine spring to hopefully bring it to like new functioning. Now though I'm thinking of sending in my shotgun to Mossberg to see if they can figure it all out and maybe change the parts I was looking to replace while they're at it.

Does anyone know where I could find an appropriate box to ship it? I've already checked Home Depot, The Container Store, and a ton of dumpsters behind strip malls all with no luck. I found a place online but it was like $35 for a pack of 5 rifle boxes and I don't want to spend that much or get that many boxes.
I've shipped thousands of packages with one of my businesses. Easy fix.

If you have a FedEx Office store nearby you can check their recycle bin. They have lots of long boxes that'll work but they're not always there. But they DO have big boxes, and that's all you need. So will most any furniture store, including packing materials. Or Home Depot and Lowes (purchase).

If you find (or buy) a big box, you just slit an entire corner so you can open the entire box up to a long flat position. The box will be corrugated in one direction (folds/creases). Just make your own box by making a long crease, and another, and another, that'll create a box space big enough to fit your gun and some padding. If the box isn't long enough in the right direction then just make TWO sections and overlap them when taping it all up.

Put plenty of padding around the gun, even wrinkled newspaper will work. Put extra padding on the ends. Then tape everything tight (use overkill), label it, and ship it off.

You can even roll your gun up in cardboard like a Tootsie Roll, several times to make several layers of padding, and tape it tight. Put the loose pieces in a zip-loc bag before you wrap it up. You should wrap something around the gun before you wrap it up in cardboard. I use pallet shrink wrap.

FedEx Ground is the best way to ship (least expensive overall). NOT FedEx Express, FedEx GROUND. Better than UPS or the Post Office. You can setup an account online and print your own prepaid label and then just drop it off at any collection center near you. Find locations on their website.

Before doing that you should call Mossberg to get an idea of what it'll be costing you. You may be better off buying another gun!

Hope that helps and good luck to you.
Ron_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
LongRange
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

try these guys http://boxbros.com/ or google box stores in Vegas...theres a couple of stores up here in reno i use that will make a heavy duty custom box for $8-$10 bucks im sure theres a few down south as well.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:05 PM   #4
Px4Shooter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Take the stock off. It will fit in the large tube box.
Px4Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
BW64
Sav6.5

Go back to the gunstore where you bought it. I'm sure they have some rifle boxes laying around they can part with

BW.
BW64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
Ron_O
Self-Extracted

U-Haul sells boxes too. I buy in bulk from a company called Neway Packaging in Henderson. Not sure if they'll sell you a single box but they may. They'll have what you need for sure!
Ron_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:28 PM   #7
5.56 AP

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Have you called Mossberg yet to see how much you’re looking at spending to repair a 30 year old shotgun? @titanNV has one for sale here under $300 in the private sales section. I also just picked up a Remington 870 for $250 here.

Just a thought.

For the box I’d use a PSA upper box. Post a WTB ad. I have a few I might be willing to part with.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #8
Mooman76
Obsessed Member

Have you thought of just finding a local gunsmith to do the work? Probably be cheaper in the long run.
Mooman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #9
NewFrontierArmory
Vegas' Favorite Gun Store

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

There are hundreds of firearm boxes piled up behind our store daily -- take your pick!
Old 01-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #10
QuicheErrday
uber n00b

Thanks for the advice guys. I didn't realize it would be expensive to send it back to Mossberg so I've been thinking about what to do since reading the replies here. Tonight I was telling one of my coworkers about my issues and he recommended hitting the slide with a mallet. Well that wouldn't work because the slide was stuck in the rearward position but I gave the barrel a good whack and that dislodged the bolt and I got it all apart.

Now I just need to give it a good cleaning, order a few small parts, and it should all be good as new.

Thanks again everyone.
QuicheErrday is offline   Reply With Quote