Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Weapons Discussions > Gunsmithing & Gun Care

Notices

Gunsmithing & Gun Care The place to talk gunsmithing, gun care and maintenance. Share your tricks, tips, and info. Feel free to share or ask for help.

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #1
Teresa
uber Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Converting Glock 19 slide to 23?

Got an amazing deal on a Glock 19 slide online, afterwards realized the barrel I want to use with it is actually a Glock 23 .40 to 9 barrel (and that I have a lot of those in my gun safe, including my S&W sigma's). Anyone taken a G19 and cut the barrel opening to accept G23 barrels?

Looking for any tips, tricks, thoughts, etc.
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:29 PM   #2
Mooman76
Obsessed Member

I don't have an answer but I would think it shouldn't be that difficult. I saw about your S&W Sigma. I have one in 40 and was wanting to put a 9mm barrel in it. I checked on line and someone else said it wouldn't work. Are you saying that you have done it?
Mooman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
Teresa
uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooman76 View Post
I don't have an answer but I would think it shouldn't be that difficult. I saw about your S&W Sigma. I have one in 40 and was wanting to put a 9mm barrel in it. I checked on line and someone else said it wouldn't work. Are you saying that you have done it?
All of the sigma 9mm barrels are 40-9 conversions, try putting a sw9ve barrel in a Glock 19, won't work, but will work fine in a G23 or G32 slide, basically all the slides are the same on the S&W in the front, it's just what caliber case the breech of the barrel will accept.

Honestly, I never really thought about it until I tried to put a s&w 9mm barrel in a G19 and it wouldn't fit, and I was like WTF!! The S&W barrels you can shoot soft lead out, where u can't the glock stock barrels, so it's a nice advantage.

Yes, I've done it, not extensively, but I've done it. So would it work flawlessly for like a carry gun, no idea.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
Mooman76
Obsessed Member

I was just wondering it the Sigma 9mm barrel would fit in the Sigma 40. I thought it would be nice to save the money of buying yet another gun. I did shoot lead out of the stock Glock 40 barrel without issues. It wasn't soft and wasn't real hard lead either. I think the key (with the Glock)is to have the right size bullets and to keep the loads down. I cast my own so having the right size bullets wasn't a problem. Most commercial cast bullet companies give you little to no options there.
Mooman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #5
Teresa
uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooman76 View Post
I was just wondering it the Sigma 9mm barrel would fit in the Sigma 40. I thought it would be nice to save the money of buying yet another gun. I did shoot lead out of the stock Glock 40 barrel without issues. It wasn't soft and wasn't real hard lead either. I think the key (with the Glock)is to have the right size bullets and to keep the loads down. I cast my own so having the right size bullets wasn't a problem. Most commercial cast bullet companies give you little to no options there.
Ya, I have too, especially back when I got my first glock. Accuracy suffers, but other then that, no biggie. Ya, essentially all sigma barrels are 40 or 40-9 conversions, at least that is my experience.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #6
Teresa
uber Member

Talking Update

Did the hollowing out of the front today, only took like 15 minutes. That is what is required to use a sigma sw9ve barrel in a Glock 19. To fit a sw40ve or Glock 23/22 barrel you also need to shave down the breech near the extractor.

I would have to tare apart the slide and remove extractor to mod the slide. Or shave down the top of the breech of the barrel. I didn't do either, since I really wanted to use the sw9ve barrel in it anyways and I want to think about it before I go forward with that mod. Really wasn't bad to open up the front, was more concerned about taking off too much, especially since I was only removing about 1mm all around. Got really lucky I had a grinding stone for my dremel the exact right size I needed, then just a little fine cleanup work with a smaller grinding bit.

Near I can see, 9mm +P+ and .40 max pressures aren't too far off (correct me if I'm wrong), so it should be able to digest medium loaded.40 rounds.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:23 AM   #7
Hacker
Aviator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
All of the sigma 9mm barrels are 40-9 conversions, try putting a sw9ve barrel in a Glock 19, won't work, but will work fine in a G23
How is the mechanical accuracy and reliability of a sw9ve barrel in a G23?

Sounds like it could be a substantially cheaper way to do a 40-9 conversion than even the Lone Wolf barrels.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:10 PM   #8
Teresa
uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
How is the mechanical accuracy and reliability of a sw9ve barrel in a G23?

Sounds like it could be a substantially cheaper way to do a 40-9 conversion than even the Lone Wolf barrels.
Never had any problems, I would say Lone Wolf ones are more accurate, but how accurate do you need a hand gun? ur not shooting at great distances. It's accurate enough for me and can shoot lead, but you do get more for ur money with lone wolf. If ur looking for inexpensive, I've never had any complaints and they look better with stainless or FDE slides then the stock glock barrel. I also like the S&W doesn't have the lone wolf giant logo, but just a cut in caliber designation, which unless ur looking it, ur not gonna see it. A much cleaner look in my opinion.