Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Reloading

Notices

Reloading Discussions on reloading systems, components, tips, tricks, techniques and more.

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2017, 12:55 AM   #11
buoux556
danny m

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

How often did you anneal this group of brass and what method did you use?

Curious minds want to know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
I just retired a batch of Hornady 6.5CM brass with 13 and 14 firings on it. These loads run through a $1200 factory rifle were always sub half Moa at 1/2 the price of factory match ammo.

I also load 9mm, 45acp and .223. Safe, reliable and accurate ammo at 1/2 the cost of factory until the recent price drops. When everyone was hunting for ammo during the past few years I was selling my factory ammo because I didn't need it. I haven't shot factory ammo except 22lr and shotgun in over 5 years.

It's all about what your priorities are. Times are fat right now so enjoy the feast. Things will change again in the future just like they did in the past.
buoux556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:19 AM   #12
Quickdraw
"Ho'old on there"

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buoux556 View Post
How often did you anneal this group of brass and what method did you use?

Curious minds want to know....
I bought an Annealeez machine and started after that batch was shot 5 times. I anneal after every firing, no reason not to. Cheap, easy, quick and consistent.
Quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:31 AM   #13
buoux556
danny m

Thanks for the quick reply - I was wondering if you just ran through the batch of brass 'til it failed or if you used a sporadic schedule of annealing.

I'm using the AMP Annealer and, like you, I agree that annealing after every firing (AFAIK) is good to go.

Danny M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
I bought an Annealeez machine and started after that batch was shot 5 times. I anneal after every firing, no reason not to. Cheap, easy, quick and consistent.
buoux556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:58 AM   #14
usmcnye
uber n00b

I have been back and forth on whether to purchase an annealer machine; the two that I have focused on were the AMP and Annealeez. The AMP is much more expensive, it does not use a flame and the marketing pitch put forth claims to take the guess work out of how hot and how long do you cook the brass.

(1) Annealing softens the brass by heating the case neck / shoulder, thus extending the life of the brass as without it will become more hard and brittle as it is repeatedly fired.

(2) My concern and question is, what about case neck thinning. I have observed in my .223 brass that even if a crack does not occur, the case neck opening appears to significantly thin as it is fired and resized multiple times. Annealing should prevent cracks due to hardness, but what about thinning?

The annealer machines seem to be straight-forward and not too time consuming. I am very interested in your opinions about annealing.
usmcnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:24 AM   #15
SUBMOA
Harley Builder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJackKin View Post
Yup, well said!
Amen
SUBMOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:29 AM   #16
Quickdraw
"Ho'old on there"

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

There are so many threads on so many sites with so many opinions on the subject. Every reloading forum everywhere has them over and over again. I spent way too much time reading all often crap.

I do what I do for the purpose of having consistent neck tension in my match ammo. In the world of brass failures, neck failures have been about #3 on my list. Case head and loose primer pockets have been what have kill my brass by the batch. Neck splits have been one or two at a time.

Properly annealing brass isn't black magic. It is about being able to achieve a set temperature in a set region of the brass. It is very easy to do that with about any of the more popular machines. For me the Anealeez machine was a very good value. If it holds up over time I'll be very happy.
Quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote