Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > General Conversation

Notices

General Conversation The place to discuss topics NOT firearm related. ** Make sure the topic in question does not belong in another section before posting. **

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2017, 03:31 AM   #1
Bulleteater
Big Stick policy

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default SWAT commander for LVMPD placed on leave pending criminal investigation

Suspect Lt. Tom Melton is being investigated for financial exploitation of the elderly...

http://www.ktnv.com/news/crime/lvmpd...-investigation

And of course he gets to go on "paid administrative leave."
Old 08-01-2017, 03:45 AM   #2
Just an Average Joe
uber Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Silly citizen! Don't you know that the POLICE are not subject to the laws that govern us mere peons?

He might get "forced" into an early $200k per year retirement, as "punishment".
Just an Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:25 AM   #3
Glocksterpaulie
The Perfectionist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Wait for it. In 3,2,1 some people on here will say wait for the investigation. Yeah, I will wait for it too but if he is found guilty of something like this **** it better hit the fan real ****ing fast.

Paulie
Glocksterpaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:44 AM   #4
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Yes, he goes on paid admin leave, because while under charges, on the chance he is guilty, the law doesn't allow him to work in a capacity where he could tamper with evidence against himself or others, but remember, just like if YOU were under investigation or charged, HE is innocent until proven guilty.

Folks here always seem to forget that when someone in law enforcement is charged and it makes the news.

I will be sure to remember that the next time I hear of any member here being charged with anything, I will immediately assume because you are human you must be guilty.

And, if proven guilty and convicted of a felony he will lose his pension.
Don't think so?
Does the name Rick Marshall, former undersheriff of Nye County ring a bell?

Convicted of stealing the campaign signs of his opponents in the last election for sheriff of Nye County, fired, and lost his pension after 30+ years on the job. And that was not a felony conviction, just a misdemeanor

What is true is that if convicted and sentenced to prison, he will most likely end up in PC, Protective Custody, instead of General Population , because as a former cop, he probably wouldn't last long in genpop.

THAT I don't agree with, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime, and if that means you get tossed into genpop as a fired cop, tough luck, should have thought of that before you committed the crime, no special privileges or incarceration for anyone, no matter what their former occupation was.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:50 AM   #5
Glocksterpaulie
The Perfectionist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Steve,

I agree. I am not throwing him under the bus until we know if he really committed a crime. If he did then I hope he gets everything coming to him. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time is spot on. Especially so when you take an oath and chose this as your profession.

Paulie
Glocksterpaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:04 AM   #6
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocksterpaulie View Post
Steve,

I agree. I am not throwing him under the bus until we know if he really committed a crime. If he did then I hope he gets everything coming to him. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time is spot on. Especially so when you take an oath and chose this as your profession.

Paulie
Actually I'd like to see much harsher sentences on the books that apply solely to LEOs, because if you take the oath, the public should be able to trust you implicitly, and if you betray that trust, are caught and convicted, the punishment should be more harsh.

Certain avocations should be held to a higher standard, but sadly are not, but no matter what the avocation or standard, innocent until proven guilty is one of the major ideals that make America still the greatest place to live.

Some of the third world rat hole countries I lived and worked in would reward a LEO who was a crook and punish anyone who tried to turn him in.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:36 AM   #7
Tophog
Biker Trailer Trash

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYECOGunsmith View Post
And, if proven guilty and convicted of a felony he will lose his pension.
Don't think so?
Does the name Rick Marshall, former undersheriff of Nye County ring a bell?

Convicted of stealing the campaign signs of his opponents in the last election for sheriff of Nye County, fired, and lost his pension after 30+ years on the job. And that was not a felony conviction, just a misdemeanor.
Yep, we knew him. Actually not a bad guy . . . UNTIL he got caught up in local POLITICS! When he worked for Wade he used to drop by our house to say hi and visit a little.

Tony Demeo was a POS and turned the Sheriff's Dept. into a mini-Jersey substation! And his stepchild Burochowitz is Little Hitler!

Quote:
What is true is that if convicted and sentenced to prison, he will most likely end up in PC, Protective Custody, instead of General Population , because as a former cop, he probably wouldn't last long in genpop.

THAT I don't agree with, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime, and if that means you get tossed into genpop as a fired cop, tough luck, should have thought of that before you committed the crime, no special privileges or incarceration for anyone, no matter what their former occupation was.
I missed that portion of Rick's demise. The local paper went on to bigger and better things . . . a new 99 cent store opening, loose cows on the highway, biggest 'Ball-O-String' or crack dealer in Calvada, etc.

True, genpop is not for everyone. And as an old friend, I hope Rick doesn't end up there. But if he does he earned it!

It wasn't his idea to remove the campaign signs. Just following orders! But he was smart enough to know that what he was doing something wrong, and he got caught.

At least they let the Bailiff's driver (or whatever he did) off for the Schultz defense . . . 'I know nothing!'. I think he took a fall for Burochowitz, and Sharon is the NEW Sgt. Shultz!

(Display of stupid Pahrump politics over!)

USN gunner, '76-'80.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government IS the problem!" Ronald Reagan

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
(H.L. Mencken, the Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920)

ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)

Last edited by Tophog; 08-01-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Tophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
SG1
lets do it.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

SG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #9
Gunhand
Firearms Instructor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

As NYECOGUNSMITH has already pointed out EVERYONE is presumed innocent until proven guilty. The Constitution and Bill of Rights that some folks wrap themselves in, does not have an exclusion for police officers who are accused of violating the law.

If the EVIDENCE proves he is guilty, then he will face the sentence the law allows. But the court of media sensationalism is not where he will be tried. He will be tried in the same court that we all will if accused of a crime.

And yes, there is an investigation ongoing, and not only by Metro. The State Attorney Generals Office is the lead agency in this investigation. CONTRARY to some people's opinion, LEOs do not cover each other's backs in some giant, all-encompassing conspiracy theory. If there is evidence of criminal conduct by Lt. Melton, he will face the justice system.

That being said, depending on the severity of the alleged crimes, if he's found guilty, he may very well not go to jail. Why you ask? Not because he is a police officer, but for the same reason anyone who if found guilty of the same crime, and had no previous criminal record. Under the justice system, he/you may not face incarceration, but possible probation. Again, that's depending on the severity of the crime PROVEN by EVIDENCE.
“We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” Ronald Reagan
Gunhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #10
Saethwyr
uber n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Gunhand

“We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” Ronald Reagan

It boils down to this.
Saethwyr is offline   Reply With Quote