Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Shooters Corner > The Range & Training

Notices

The Range & Training Marksmanship, tactical & defensive training, cowboy shooting, long & short range shooting, competition, silhouette games. Tips, tricks and more.

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #11
2baddogs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

QD,
Thanks for looking out for us and keeping us informed. I've never considered going to a meeting but will try to make it a priority.

A troubling occurrence I see trending is the use of the range by LE. While, I support 98% of LE and have no issue whatsoever with there presence/use of the DSPRC. That is changing with an encounter last Thur.

I arrived at the third bay from the end on range 10 (one of the large wide ones) around 8:15a with an excited new shooter, my mother in law. Upon arriving to the bay I noticed multiple unmarked cars parked outside the next bay - "cool, like to see our LE out here training".

We proceeded to set up for a brief overview and minimal shooting figuring an hr tops. While in discusssion, I notice a black Tahoe cruise (speed) by my bay at about 20-25mph with a decent dust trail. I took note but was focused on the new shooter. A few mins later, here comes the Black Tahoe again...about half way through my bay, he does a quick stop, reverses and turns into my bay. Coincidentally, I happened to be walking to my truck to retrieve ear pro and he pulls up..

LE* -"How much longer you gonna be?"
ME - "Prob an hour or so, not long"
LE* - "We're Law Enforcement...."
Me - (Im in I.T -Good for you...?) "Well...we wont be long, Im working with a new shooter."

He grunts and drives off in a huff. Guess he wasnt happy with my response. (Admittedly, I probably had the look of BFD when presented with the "We are LE " proclimation.) About 2 seconds after clearing my bay I hear gravel and see him reversing about 15-20mph back to the adjoining bay kicking up a decent dust trail again. Whats the emergency?

Some thoughts...
  • Im guessing LE is allowed to use the range as a public service? No issue with that but I would like clarification and would like to know if there is a POC to inform of this crap.
  • Although I chose the large bay specifically as opposed to a block wall bay (due to increased noise/echo from us and adjoining shooters from the block wall), I gladly would have accommodated a respectful request to assist our LE but not when approached in that manner. Really DGAF who you are.
  • They had at least 8 people on the adjoining range before I arrived, they clearly could have secured another bay if needed. No need to try to intimidate someone to move. (I get this was probably the 2% out of the LE group in attendance that was a dick and I was lucky enough to encounter.)
  • Luckily, my response and indifference to him relieved my shooter who was a bit intimidated with his approach. I do have someone I recently worked with that this would have been significant enough to deter them from proceeding.

As for reporting, I thought to myself - when the RO comes around I will mention the incident and specifically the speeding/kicking up of dust. Never saw a RO in the 90 mins there.
2baddogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #12
steve
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2baddogs View Post

As for reporting, I thought to myself - when the RO comes around I will mention the incident and specifically the speeding/kicking up of dust. Never saw a RO in the 90 mins there.
Just let them know at the gate when you leave. They do take note of these things.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:27 PM   #13
Just an Average Joe
Very Active Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2baddogs View Post
QD,
Thanks for looking out for us and keeping us informed. I've never considered going to a meeting but will try to make it a priority.

A troubling occurrence I see trending is the use of the range by LE. While, I support 98% of LE and have no issue whatsoever with there presence/use of the DSPRC. That is changing with an encounter last Thur.

I arrived at the third bay from the end on range 10 (one of the large wide ones) around 8:15a with an excited new shooter, my mother in law. Upon arriving to the bay I noticed multiple unmarked cars parked outside the next bay - "cool, like to see our LE out here training".

We proceeded to set up for a brief overview and minimal shooting figuring an hr tops. While in discusssion, I notice a black Tahoe cruise (speed) by my bay at about 20-25mph with a decent dust trail. I took note but was focused on the new shooter. A few mins later, here comes the Black Tahoe again...about half way through my bay, he does a quick stop, reverses and turns into my bay. Coincidentally, I happened to be walking to my truck to retrieve ear pro and he pulls up..

LE* -"How much longer you gonna be?"
ME - "Prob an hour or so, not long"
LE* - "Were Law Enforcement."
Me - (Im in I.T -Good for you...?) "Well...we wont be long, Im working with a new shooter."

He grunts and drives off in a huff. Guess he wasnt happy with my response. (Admittedly, I probably had the look of BFD when presented with the "We are LE " proclimation.) About 2 seconds after clearing my bay I hear gravel and see him reversing about 15-20mph back to the adjoining bay kicking up a decent dust trail again. Whats the emergency?

Some thoughts...
  • Im guessing LE is allowed to use the range as a public service? No issue with that but I would like clarification and would like to know if there is a POC to inform of this crap.
  • Although I chose the large bay specifically as opposed to a block wall bay (due to increased noise/echo from us and adjoining shooters from the block wall), I gladly would have accommodated a respectful request to assist our LE but not when approached in that manner. Really DGAF who you are.
  • They had at least 8 people on the adjoining range before I arrived, they clearly could have secured another bay if needed. No need to try to intimidate someone to move. (I get this was probably the 2% out of the LE group in attendance that was a dick and I was lucky enough to encounter.)
  • Luckily, my response and indifference to him relieved my shooter who was a bit intimidated with his approach. I do have someone I recently worked with that this would have been significant enough to deter them from proceeding.

As a member, I also would be interested in hearing the policy on LEO use of the range.

While many go into law enforcement out of a desire to help others, sadly, your account has very much the ring of truth, as the LEO profession attracts more than it's fair share of "big men with a badge and a gun" who get off on lording their authority over the little people.

I also agree with how you handled it. A respectful and friendly request from a LEO would have been met with an offer to move, by me. A heavy handed, "I'm a badass and you're we're we wanna be" as you experienced, and I would've stayed exactly where I was until I was done shooting.

The speeding on the range is no different from the LEO's driving 15-30mph over the limit, wherever and whenever they want, and also doesn't surpise me.

While on the topic, perhaps the 10MPH limit going up the now PAVED front road could be bumped to 15 or 20 MPH? as there is no longer a DUST hazard?
Just an Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:31 AM   #14
Quickdraw
"Ho'old on there"

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Metro is allowed the use of "Our Range" as a courtesy and consideration. Everybody on the property though are constrained by the same rules and that includes the speed limits. Nobody has the right to violate the rules posted for this private property.

The RSO almost certainly cruised by on the ATV when you were focused working with your new shooter. You certainly could have and probably should have stopped by the gate house before leaving the property to inform the RSO about his driving habits. We all need to take an active interest in making sure that nobody thinks that they can just treat our range with disrespect. As far as the guy being a jerk well.... there are jerks everywhere in every walk of life.

Bringing this up as a question at the next meeting would be very appropriate. Just focus on the driving part as that is where the range rules were broken. State what happened as far as his driving and ask what are the rules and how should this be dealt with in the future. I'm sure that in addition to the answer for us all to hear it will also be referred back to the appropriate party at Metro about how they should handle themselves while being allowed the courtesy of using our range.
Quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:47 AM   #15
Quickdraw
"Ho'old on there"

Well big things happening. I guess that the E Board is feeling under appreciated. 4 members resigned possibly because the membership wants to know what is happening instead of all of the little backdoor secrets going on.

We are at a point of a possible significant change happening here. If you are interested in knowing what is going on and having a say in it then be at the General Membership Meeting next week.

http://dsrpc.org/
Old 02-22-2017, 04:48 AM   #16
steve
Obsessed Member

I thought it was just time for the election? In the bylaws it calls for nominations in March.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:17 PM   #17
Quickdraw
"Ho'old on there"

I believe that you may be correct on some of those. I just read the bylaws about nominations in March with elections in April. We'll see next week. I think there may be more to it though. At least one position needs a change though.

Last edited by Quickdraw; 02-23-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:11 AM   #18
Quickdraw
"Ho'old on there"

Very important meeting for all members this Thursday at 6:30pm.

http://dsrpc.org/
Old 02-27-2017, 02:23 AM   #19
steve
Obsessed Member

It's also going to be brought up to allow us to have different use of range 2. In other words let people setup things like a steel challenge stage rather than all targets dead against the back berm.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #20
Quickdraw
"Ho'old on there"

So much more could be done with this property. It is a gem sitting at the mouth of Red Rock Canyon. It's all a matter of members making their wants and needs known.

Say something about what you want or sit quietly and get what's given to you.