Old 01-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #31
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagon Collector

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makulit View Post
wow, great build.

Don't sweat the purists, wait "Mossy" purists? I didn't know there was such a thing. as far as I know, Mossys were built to be used, not hung on the wall to be admired for generations. You did that rifle more respect by digging it out of storage and giving it new life.

In fact you got me looking at my old Mossy, for which I don't have a use right now.
Head over to rimfire central, there are a bunch of collectors and purists haha. They really are just great old rifles, but nothig super special.

What model is yours? If you don't have a use for it and don't want to chop it up I'll be down your way in March and would entertain making an offer.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!
Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:51 AM   #32
Makulit
uber Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

It's a model 152, and thx for the offer, but this one has some sentimental value, came from my grandfather. I'm not against modifying it, and neither would he. He was all function, no fashion. In fact I think he was the one that tapped the receiver for a scope at one time.

I'll give it to my son when he's old enough, might fix it up with some of your tricks to make it more useful in the mean time.
Makulit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:06 AM   #33
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagon Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makulit View Post
It's a model 152, and thx for the offer, but this one has some sentimental value, came from my grandfather. I'm not against modifying it, and neither would he. He was all function, no fashion. In fact I think he was the one that tapped the receiver for a scope at one time.

I'll give it to my son when he's old enough, might fix it up with some of your tricks to make it more useful in the mean time.
Definitely sounds like a keeper! I love a gun with some family History as those are the ones that mean the most and always seem to shoot the best ;-)

My barrel should be back tomorrow or Thursday! More updates soon to follow.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!
Old 02-09-2017, 02:51 AM   #34
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagon Collector

Woohoo!!!! At long long last!

So everything appears initially to line up perfect. The sights are out of the way of the scope when the rear is in the lowest position. But with the scope removed the front sight still peeks out over the scope mount. This is ideal. All I will need to do is mark my zero on the rear sight elevation and if I remove the optic just raise the sight to the proper position.

I'm glad so far that I went to 18" on the barrel. It's super short and handy.

I gave it a quick shot of the rustoleum high temp oil and chemical resistant stuff, right now it's still the matte finish but I will rub that off and get the satin type color once it cures.

Somebody before me painted the sights black. I actually like the contrast and intend to leave it as such. I may shoot the scope sayin black as well but that isnyet to be decided.

Over all I am psyched. Hopefully it shoots and hopefully the sights work out as far as being able to be zeroed. I love how "scouty" the front sight is.

I don't know why but I'm way more excited about this free gun and $50 project than things I have that cost 20x as much. Can't wait to shoot it.

Better pics will come in daylight.

With its big brother.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:02 AM   #35
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagon Collector

I actually shot the optic and sights with a fresh coat of satin black to return them to mostly stock. I then touched up a spot in the barrel and cured the action in the oven at 200 for a little while. That darkened the finish and made it more satin, so everything is a really close color match now. Much cleaner overall.

It's ready for the range.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #36
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagon Collector

Old 02-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #37
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Looks great and should be a hoot to shoot. Nice and light and easy to carry in the woods too, a good squirrel- getter.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #38
Makulit
uber Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

wow!

Looks Great!!
Makulit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #39
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagon Collector

Well All the work on the barrel did the truck. It's More accurate than before from my testing.

It was windy today. Also the trigger in this rifle is heavier than hell. Also the fine reticle is really hard to see on a pitch black target. It stood out fine on the NRA type paper black targets but it literally disappeared on this shiny stark black target. Not making excuses Just sayin. All targets are at 50 yards.

This target was all shot on irons using the pretty crappy golden bullet. I'll take it. Best group was .86 center to center. I find that the S109 front sight is a very very wide blade.

This target was with the scope attached. Still golden bullet. Not
My best work but I'll take it.

Switched over to federal march ammo with the optic. Disregard the center group. I have noooo clue what happened there. I shot the four corners first, then the center, saw that crap and thought I leased my barrel, which I didn't, then I shot the final group on the center line to the left. Again, not the best but I'll take it especially considering the wind.

Best group of the day at .61" center to center.

Sooooo tree you have it. Not the greatest ever but I'd say the rifle will do perfect as is and I am happy. I feel that it is definitely more accurate than before with the pitted barrel and kinda hanky crown.