Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > Main Room > General Conversation

Notices

General Conversation The place to discuss topics NOT firearm related. ** Make sure the topic in question does not belong in another section before posting. **

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #1
Pcmaker
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation How do you deal with weeds on the lawn?

I have desert landscaping and I used to just pull them out. I've switched over to using GroundClear. Pain in the butt having to bend over and pull them out, even though I didn't have to do it that often.

Even spraying is a pain.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:11 PM   #2
Mooman76
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I been spraying for years. I do pull(the big ones) sometimes but mostly spray. Yes it is a pain but if you start early in spring when they are small, they are easier to control. The better you control them(since the multiply), the less work you have to do over all. I usually go over tem and sray again a couple days later if needed to get the ones that still alive. My biggest problem is the back yard since I have grass and it is watered. I put down weed and feed every year but it doesn't seem to control them all so spraying in between is also done.

Last edited by Mooman76; 01-08-2017 at 11:13 PM. Reason: addition
Mooman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:34 PM   #3
SG1
lets do it.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcmaker View Post
I have desert landscaping and I used to just pull them out. I've switched over to using GroundClear. Pain in the butt having to bend over and pull them out, even though I didn't have to do it that often.

Even spraying is a pain.
Weedwacker with a Weedshark pro head, think of it as a angled saw blade that will **** anything up that comes near it....

Also Fire, lots of fire, when nothing will do nothing beats a Thermite **** You!
SG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:36 AM   #4
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

500,000 BTU propane weed burner. Kills the weed, sterilizes the root and the soil around it.

Spray 2-3 times a year with Roundup Super Concentrate, at twice the mix rate the bottle says (5 ounces per gallon instead of 2.5) and very few weeds. The ones that do survive that get the flame thrower.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T OUT TO GET YOU!
Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
NYECOGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:51 AM   #5
SG1
lets do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYECOGunsmith View Post
500,000 BTU propane weed burner. Kills the weed, sterilizes the root and the soil around it.

Spray 2-3 times a year with Roundup Super Concentrate, at twice the mix rate the bottle says (5 ounces per gallon instead of 2.5) and very few weeds. The ones that do survive that get the flame thrower.
Nice...How long will a 20 gallon tank last?
Old 01-09-2017, 12:57 AM   #6
Justified
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

In rocks you can use a preemergant which doesn't allow the weeds to germinate. It's usually granules spread and watered in.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:45 AM   #7
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG1 View Post
Nice...How long will a 20 gallon tank last?
Dunno, still on the first 20 pounder, 12 years in use, it's about 1/2 full I would guess.
My burner uses a pilot light and squeeze valve, so it only roars to life when I point it at a weed and squeeze the trigger valve.

A couple of seconds per weed does it when you pump that much heat into a small area. No bending over this way, and the tank is on a hand cart so it's easy to pull around.

I don't mix the Round up with water, I use pickling vinegar, and two cups of salt plus one cup of Dawn dishwashing liquid soap, that mix strips the waxy protective coating off the leaves of all types of weeds, the soap causes the mix to cling to the weed, and the salt and Round up kill it quickly. Two gallons of vinegar, two cups salt, one cup soap, ten ounces of Round up, goes a fair distance. Usually takes about eight gallons to treat my 2-1/2 acres about every 3-4 months.

That keeps the weeds down to only half a dozen or so per month that need pulling or a second spray.

The burner handles the tumbleweed, prickle brush, goats head and salt cedar that refuse to die after two sprayings.

Just because a complaint was never filed doesn't mean a defective parachute was never made.
I've been to three world's fairs, two rodeos and a goat roping contest, but I've never seen the likes of the stuff that goes on around here before!
Old 01-09-2017, 03:01 AM   #8
StarFire
uber Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I use ortho ground clear. Spray the weeds, about a week later just rake and they blow away.

If you have areas where you NEVER plan to grow anything, buy a 40lb bag of water softner rock salt and spread it like grass seed before a rain. It will kill 95% for a couple years.
StarFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:39 AM   #9
SG1
lets do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYECOGunsmith View Post
Dunno, still on the first 20 pounder, 12 years in use, it's about 1/2 full I would guess.
My burner uses a pilot light and squeeze valve, so it only roars to life when I point it at a weed and squeeze the trigger valve.

A couple of seconds per weed does it when you pump that much heat into a small area. No bending over this way, and the tank is on a hand cart so it's easy to pull around.

I don't mix the Round up with water, I use pickling vinegar, and two cups of salt plus one cup of Dawn dishwashing liquid soap, that mix strips the waxy protective coating off the leaves of all types of weeds, the soap causes the mix to cling to the weed, and the salt and Round up kill it quickly. Two gallons of vinegar, two cups salt, one cup soap, ten ounces of Round up, goes a fair distance. Usually takes about eight gallons to treat my 2-1/2 acres about every 3-4 months.

That keeps the weeds down to only half a dozen or so per month that need pulling or a second spray.

The burner handles the tumbleweed, prickle brush, goats head and salt cedar that refuse to die after two sprayings.
Will that work on crab grass?

And I know all too well about Salt Ceders, I have killed my 4 times and still comes back, I used Thermite on the stump and it still came the **** back....
Old 01-09-2017, 04:00 AM   #10
NYECOGunsmith
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG1 View Post
Will that work on crab grass?

And I know all too well about Salt Ceders, I have killed my 4 times and still comes back, I used Thermite on the stump and it still came the **** back....
Yah, it kills crab grass. The road department uses that mixture I listed above, but instead of pickling vinegar, they use diesel fuel.

I had a salt cedar in the front yard that in less than a year went from a small weed to a 6 inch diameter trunk tree. Road department told me how to get rid of it too, and it worked.

You have to kill the roots all the way down to the smallest ones, the thermite didn't go down deep enough.

You have to drill down in the roots with a small diameter auger drill, and drill holes in the soil around the roots, and pump in some copper sulfate , or glyphosate at a 50%solution (Roundup Super Concentrate is 52% glyphosate) or some triclopyr.

Diesel fuel pumped into the holes will work too, but is slower.

Then cover the stump with a piece of heavy black plastic ground cover, so that the sun will really heat the ground and stump up under the plastic, that helps the herbicide get absorbed and the heat also helps kill the roots.

The Thermite just didn't get down to all the roots, and unless you kill all of them, down to the smallest, little twig root, it will come back.

A stump grinder will work too, if you go down deep enough they told me.