Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Hand Guns

Notices

Hand Guns Semi-autos, revolvers...post it here.

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2017, 10:07 PM   #1
mbogo
Bwana Mkubwa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Recommendations for a revolver for petite woman

One of my wife's co-workers wants to get a gun for home defense . She has very little experience with firearms, is tiny (maybe 5ft. and under 100lbs. with tiny hands).

I've tried to steer her towards a revolver, as they have a shorter learning curve than an autoloader. She tried my snubnose .38 and had a lot of difficulty with the double-action trigger pull (~9lbs.), some of it attributable to the large grip I put on it,

Next time, I'll let her try my S&W Model 15 as CCW is not a factor at this time. I think a 686 is going to be too heavy for her.

Who else makes a wheel gun with a good DA trigger?

mbogo
mbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:15 PM   #2
Gullwing
1911 pistolsmith

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Maybe Ruger LCR in 22M for a revolver.

Also have her check out S&W Shield or Walther CCP (smaller 9mms) which might work well for her.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:33 PM   #3
STV_Keith
Obsessed Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

My girlfriend is 5' and 105#. She shoots a Glock 19 very well. It's all in the training. I know a lot of people contend that there's less to go wrong with a wheel gun, but you get 6 or so shots and then it's a bitch to reload quickly. Again, comes down to training. But if you're going to get training anyway (which she should), then don't start with something that's ammo deficient and hard to reload.

Have her go fondle and hold every 9mm at the gun store and pick the one that's the most comfortable in her hands. Personally, I'd recommend a striker fired gun with no thumb safety, for ease of use. No DA/SA or DAO guns with different trigger pulls. I'd want the most consistent thing she could find.

Once she picks the gun, she can find the guy on Backpage that will give you a free cert to go take a Front Sight class for free. A few people on here have offered the same. If she wants to pay, and go for a shorter class, Chuck Burnett at Invictus Training offers the women only beginner class here and there. It's a good class, and what I had my GF cut her teeth on before going to Front Sight.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:56 PM   #4
mbogo
Bwana Mkubwa

The problem with .22WMR is they are very loud and emit a big fireball (my Single-Six was loud as hell and my PMR-30 is even louder). The .38Spl. is much easier for a tyro to deal with.

She isn't going to spend the time and money to get proficient with an autoloader, and she doesn't have the grip strength to manipulate the slide on a striker-fired pistol (she has tried on some of mine).

mbogo
mbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:50 AM   #5
titanNV
NRA Life Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Whatever Gullwing shoots is perfect for a woman with small hands...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
titanNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:04 AM   #6
PondScum
uber n00b

My wife is around 5'-4" 115lbs, but has tiny hands (everything looks huge in her hands, like uh, her engagement ring).

She shoots a S&W Model 66 w/4" barrel, loaded with wadcutters. She has a revolver because she doesn't like complicated mechanical devices. Wadcutters have soft recoil but are still effective self-defense rounds. She also practices with the Winchester "W" Train and Defend ammo.

She prefers the 66 to the 686 because the full underlug of the 686 puts too much weight out towards the muzzle, and becomes tiring to hold after an hour at the range.
PondScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:17 AM   #7
vegasdom
Pest Control Operator

Quote:
Have her go fondle and hold every 9mm at the gun store and pick the one that's the most comfortable in her hands. Personally, I'd recommend a striker fired gun with no thumb safety, for ease of use. No DA/SA or DAO guns with different trigger pulls. I'd want the most consistent thing she could find.
Disagree. Pick the gun for her. This is how my wife ended up with a Kimber 380 that is back at kimber AND she could not hit anything with it including when qualifying for CCW. Had no problems with a Sig P320. I say go Glock 19 or something similar.
vegasdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:33 AM   #8
Gullwing
1911 pistolsmith

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanNV View Post
Whatever Gullwing shoots is perfect for a woman with small hands...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My hands are yuuge believe me
Old 04-20-2017, 05:32 AM   #9
SeegarSmoker
Prefers Wheelguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbogo View Post

Who else makes a wheel gun with a good DA trigger?
Last summer I shot a Ruger LCR .38 that belongs to a gal I know. I was actually surprised at the trigger weight and smoothness. Compared pretty favorably to my J frames, and I've done some work on those.
SeegarSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #10
Dreamweaver

I wonder how hard it is to rack a Ruger Mark IV Lite?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Dreamweaver is offline   Reply With Quote