Nevada Shooters

Go Back   Nevada Shooters > The Armory > Hand Guns

Notices

Hand Guns Semi-autos, revolvers...post it here.

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2017, 06:57 AM   #11
Teresa
uber Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbogo View Post
The problem with .22WMR is they are very loud and emit a big fireball (my Single-Six was loud as hell and my PMR-30 is even louder). The .38Spl. is much easier for a tyro to deal with.

She isn't going to spend the time and money to get proficient with an autoloader, and she doesn't have the grip strength to manipulate the slide on a striker-fired pistol (she has tried on some of mine).

mbogo
I would go with a 357 and use 38 ammo, I like the heavier frames, takes more of the recoil out of it, but that's me, and my snubbie is rather old. So any details on trigger wouldnt be accurate to something new. Maybe try her with a sig 320. If she doesn't like the double action trigger pull on a revolver, time to try something else, even if she won't spend much time on it, just find something with a lot of idiot proofing. And as much as I like Glocks, and think Glock 19/23 is pretty much a standard most should have, the whole pull the trigger to break it down, may lead to a ND, but then again, will she ever even brake it Down? Get a slide rocker to help her work the slide (also again, Glock's factory cuts are inadequate) &/or a lighter recoil spring. Just my thoughts.

Glockstore just posted a video about this on YouTube, you might want to check it out.
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #12
jmano
uber Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Don't listen to these knuckleheads and get her any sort of auto. Odds are she will never go and shoot it after the first time. She just needs something that she can pick up and pull the trigger, therefore your original thought of a revolver is fine.

If she starts shooting it regularly then she will then figure out what she likes on her own like the rest of us. But for most woman who do not have husbands who shoot, a gun is a semi-pointless tool. It will sit in a drawer, if it's ever needed she will not remember the safety, or which "button" is the safety. If it's an auto she will probably not have a round chambered and therefore render it useless after she either forgets to rack it or short strokes the handgun she owns but is completely unfamiliar with.

Quote:
The problem with .22WMR is they are very loud and emit a big fireball (my Single-Six was loud as hell and my PMR-30 is even louder). The .38Spl. is much easier for a tyro to deal with.
mbogo
I don't think noise or fireball much matters, at the range you wear hearing protection and fireballs are fun. The slight chance that she actually uses it for self-defense, one of the body's physiological responses is to divert blood from your ears.
jmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #13
Teresa
uber Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmano View Post
Don't listen to these knuckleheads and get her any sort of auto. Odds are she will never go and shoot it after the first time. She just needs something that she can pick up and pull the trigger, therefore your original thought of a revolver is fine.
But he said she doesn't have the strength to pull the double action trigger pull on a revolver. I like revolvers, think they are great, but if you can't pull the trigger, what good is any gun? There are however inexpensive accessories to overcome her issues with autos.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #14
mbogo
Bwana Mkubwa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

jmano,s
That's what I was thinking.

A DA/SA revolver is damned near idiot proof. The trick will be finding one with a DA trigger pull she can manage. I'll give her snap caps and try to inculcate safe dry-firing practices.

Teresa,
She couldn't pull the slide back on an uncocked Glock 23 or a Springfield XDS. She can rack the slide on a SiG 938, and 1911s only IF the hammer is locked back first. She had a couple of unintentional double-taps with the autoloaders, and I have concerns about her limp-wristing a Tupperware gun

mbogo
mbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #15
STV_Keith
Obsessed Member

Sounds like she needs pepper spray and a bible (to pray they don't get her). If she's not going to train with it, she probably shouldn't have anything. This is home defense only, right? Maybe she could run a pump shotgun easier? 410ga or 20ga pump?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:06 PM   #16
mbogo
Bwana Mkubwa

Keith,

I didn't say she wouldn't get training. I said she wasn't going to spend the time and money to get proficient with an autoloader.

She's originally from NYC and was never around guns. Her personal exposure to firearms has been through my wife and me and I am reasonably certain that she's not interested in a shotgun (even in .410).

mbogo
Old 04-22-2017, 12:46 AM   #17
STV_Keith
Obsessed Member

Big dog then? Seriously, if she is willing to train, I'm still against the ammo deficient revolver. Just can't guarantee 6-8 shots is all she'll need. 3-4 intruders...better be a damn good shot to get everyone stopped with what's in a revolver. I guess anything is better than nothing.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:22 AM   #18
mbogo
Bwana Mkubwa

No dog, she has cats.

I am taking the 'baby steps' approach.

• Take her shooting a few times.
  • Have her get her own gun.
  • Have her get comfortable and competent with it.
  • Suggest something 'better' when SHE asks.

mbogo
Old 04-22-2017, 08:30 PM   #19
Teresa
uber Member

old

Quote:
jmano,s
That's what I was thinking.

A DA/SA revolver is damned near idiot proof. The trick will be finding one with a DA trigger pull she can manage. I'll give her snap caps and try to inculcate safe dry-firing practices.

Teresa,
She couldn't pull the slide back on an uncocked Glock 23 or a Springfield XDS. She can rack the slide on a SiG 938, and 1911s only IF the hammer is locked back first. She had a couple of unintentional double-taps with the autoloaders, and I have concerns about her limp-wristing a Tupperware gun

mbogo
Again, recoil spring, slide rocker are temporary and cheap adjustments, as well as working on proper slack racking techniques. I think it's u that has decided that a 'Tupperware' gun isn't for her. And if she can't rack as slide with those mods, I think she needs to go to the gym for a couple months and use pepper spray in the mean time. I've met very few non-elderly women that can't rack a slide with a little work. Also my dad's wise words when I was a kid "if you can't do it correctly, you cant do it all." Seems to point me in direction that this isn't for her, or she needs someone to teach her correctly.

BTW, I put my life in the hands of a 'Tupperware' gun everyday.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #20
GlenBaker
uber Member

Location: Blue Diamond ....Renew CFP by July 8, 2021 if still alive.

My sister is 66 and my niece (her daughter) is 38, neither one can rack the slide on a Glock, much less my Beretta. Both ended up using an old .32 revolver to qualify for their CCW.
My niece turned hers in to Metro it took 110 days to get back, my sister isn't going to bother getting her CCW after all.
GlenBaker is offline   Reply With Quote